New features for Elyssa KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: New features for Elyssa KDE

Postby Tuxabuzer on Sun May 25, 2008 5:57 pm

green Look (blue is associated with bluescreen in my mind)

AAaahhh noooo Please at least make the blue an option. Don't get me wrong, I like the green, would like it a little more if it was alien green on say black background :wink: . but please dont change anything, I love the whole look of mint kde 4
Just my 2 cents
John B
Tuxabuzer

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Thomas1 on Sun May 25, 2008 6:10 pm

I think Songird is solid, but Firefox is much more stable and usable.
Songbird is great on Gnome however.
As for KDE 4......I will ditch the entire distro if that happens ;)
j/k, but it will not be a good idea, KDE 4 isn't ready for Prime time.
Synaptic? Definetly, no Adept at all, please.
And for Gimp, please, I love GIMP!
No Picasa, but maybe another similar program.
Kmail is alright, but Thunderbird(from Mozilla) is another great mail program.
For the theme, I like the current one, but maybe an update. I hate the panel size in KDE, so maybe a smaller one?
And an oxygen icon theme would look great:)
-Thomas
Thomas1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby changturkey on Mon May 26, 2008 10:15 am

I'd like to help test too.
changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Thomas1 on Mon May 26, 2008 12:30 pm

I'll be glad to help as well.
Thomas1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Magikx21 on Wed May 28, 2008 1:20 pm

I am also willing to give the beta shot, I'm getting bored with the other OS in my VM.
Magikx21
Level 1
Level 1

Postby changturkey on Wed May 28, 2008 8:37 pm

KDE 4.1 Beta 1 was just released. Beta 2 will arrive June 24.
changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby technoshaun on Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 am

For KDE3 Keep Konq, Dolphin is just not and never will be there for KDE3, however Dolphin in KDE4 is much better as many of the File Manager features in Konq have been deprecated in KDE4. Dolphin in KDE4 is seriously not the same as the one in KDE3. It looks similar but it runs much differently. The KDE4 Version Of Kontact is getting some heavy improvements and even one I suggested over two years ago, which is to add Task Juggler. That is going to happen now and if the The Kolab folks make use of it, it will be a major improvement to Project Management as people who are working on a project can keep tabs on what the others are doing. This way schedules, plans and other factors can be kept flowing so those who are dependent on others to do their part can work on other things if there is a delay on that particular part etc.

MS Office has nothing like it and if Kontact and Kolab make this work the way I suggested it will be a first and make many people give a more serious look to what open source is and can do. Kontact isn't really integrated with Koffice but they do share many of the same resources but I still prefer Open Office. However, It maybe feasible to scale back on what's installed from Open Office. The Word Processor, Spread Sheet and Maybe the Presentation is all. The rest is really nice but not all that used compared to those three components.

KDE4 Is still in early Adoptor Status and According to Aaron most likely won't be completely ready for production systems till sometime just before or after of 4.2 (4.1 will be released in July.) The apps are coming together quickly but many things still have to be done through KDE3 as there are no KDE4 replacements yet.
It isn't about it being free. Rather, its about the freedom it brings.
technoshaun
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 30, 2008 7:18 am

I fully agree with you.
Personally I find it a bit stupid from Mandriva, Kubuntu and the others out there to include KDE4 in their new release, just to make their user feel "on the bleeding edge" (how does this become stupid these days....). I think they'll just manage to give users a bad experience.
I'm a big KDE fan, but when i tested KDE4, well it just wasn't what i wanted yet, so more patience, and since KDE3 works just perfect, i don't see any problem into that.

So, i'm glad Boo has chosen to stick with KDE3 for Elyssa. I'd rather wait more and see a 'mintified' version of kde4 rather than the same default appearance that most of the above mentioned distros include.
And we might even get KDE4.2 in Mint 6, as 4.2 is said to come out by the end of the year and Mint will be like in November..

Though Elyssa KDE won't probably be the most innovative release, i'm still eagerly waiting for it as it will, at least, be one more step to a pleasing and mature KDE distribution.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby papabearak on Sat May 31, 2008 6:55 pm

I loved the selection of included apps in Daryna. It is the most complete of any distro I have tried, without a lot of needless duplication. To make the system fully functional for my needs, I only had to add wine, VirtualBox, krita, Picasa2. I'd suggest substituting krita for the gimp, to save a bit of space, since krita is easier to learn and is easily powerful enough to meet the needs of most users. Gimp is always available from the repositories for those who need it. I'd also like to see Konqueror used for the superuser file manager, rather than Krusader. You might also consider including wine and WineDoors preinstalled, or perhaps just a script to install them automatically. I have not tried koffice, but I love OpenOffice, and since it is such a massive download, it would be nice if it could be included on the main install disk. Likewise, I love Thunderbird, and have been using it for years. While kmail may be just as good, it lacks the friendly recognition factor for users newly arriving from Windows. A few standardized cross-platform apps such as OpenOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox can go a long way toward making new users feel comfortable right from the first boot. For the same reason, Picasa is a must-have. There are several nice photo managers available for Linux, but none of them can compare to Picas when it comes to searching your drive(s), and finding all of your pictures, even obscure ones you may have forgotten, and the non-destructive edits are great too. When running Mint KDE I find that I also miss the deskto "Computer" icon which gives one-click access to sys-info, which Chris has implemented on Klikit-Linux. You might also want to include a modified version of the Klikit Integrated Security Suite, which is available to everyone under the GPL. Just my humble opinion. Ben
Using Klikit-Linux 0.1-8 every day, but keeping my eye on Mint KDE
papabearak
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:13 pm

I don't care if it is gnome, you need to keep gnome-do for Elyssa-KDE. Or a KDE equivilant, if such exists.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to KDE