New features for Elyssa KDE

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: New features for Elyssa KDE

Postby rec9140 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 am

ed@Mint wrote:Ok, i know that there's a lot of persons that won't agree with me, but i wanted to try to clarify what i meant.
This even appears to be some sterile debate (for instance, rec9140 seems to have a pretty much firm opinion about cd vs dvd).
This thread was originally created to suggest some *particular* apps, so let's stop polluting it with this and, if really needed, create another thread :wink:

You can't ask what software etc. should be included unless you have decided CD or DVD.

I am afraid its time to agree to disagree and that its clear that LM KDE and I are not on the same path and its time to part ways. Its too bad, because LM KDE solved a lot of issues for me, to the point I installed it and switched cold turkey.

Its clear that based on some replies that appear to have inside info CD is the direction, one app/one task and some other things.

Its been great, but its clear its time to move on.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fred on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 am

rec9140,

Don't make hasty decisions based on a theoretical debate my friend. Boo seemed to do a pretty good job last time, I think. Certainly better than most, don't you think?

There is no reason to believe he will suddenly do an about face and put out a rotten distro that deserves to be dumped, is there?

Everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt. Especially someone like Boo that worked so hard and did a very good job on the last release, and just seems to be looking in all directions for ways to improve even more.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zwopper on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:06 am

New features...
How about making a MintAssistant for KDE, something like Pardus "Kaptan Desktop"
Screenshots
Video
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby miltonjohn on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 am

i think gparted has to be instead of qtparted
gparted is the better choice!

greetings

Edit:
@ zwopper

i had a look to pardus too, i liked it also but too less packages i want to have
besides if the kaptan-mint-thing is not a must-to-do to get a install it might be ok - if it has to be- better leave mintinstall like it is!
miltonjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LostOverThere on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 am

We want to stay away from GTK+ platforms so we don't have to include the Gnome Tool Kit in the release.

And something like Kaptans desktop would be awesome!
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fredrik2000 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:04 am

I thought of posting a few suggestions myself. Note that i'm not so good with computers and Linux so i don't know if some of my suggestions are even possible and many are similar or duplicates from other suggestions. :? But here we go....

Some changes...
*Replace the MPlayer gui with SMPlayer which integrates better in KDE, maybe even remove kaffeine?
*Use Synaptic instead of Adept.

Appearance and feel...
*Use a brighter theme and a ”fresh” background, Cassandra had some great wallpapers. And there are some great artists on the forum who could do this e.g. Darkstar, Zwopper, Jernau (sorry if I forgot someone)
*Using a Mint Konqueror background, like Kubutu has. (details are very important)
*Changing the Vista lookalike window theme. The Kubuntu theme is better but not perfect.
*Use Cleanus system sounds instead of KDE native sounds.http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Cleanus?content=61245

I also agree with using the Kaptan Desktop instead of MintAssistant.

Anyway it's important for a distro to create an own identity and Linux Mint KDE CE is on it's way there. It is a really good distro and i'm amased how Boo did a better job than the Kubuntu team of integrating the KDE desktop on the Ubuntu base. Just keep up with the good work :D
Last edited by Fredrik2000 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fredrik2000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:14 pm

I'd like to react a bit about Synaptic since several people already asked to replace Adept with it.
I apologize in advance since i might flame a little about this :wink:

I mean what the h*** is that for ?

First, Synaptic is GTK, Adept is Qt so there should not even need any further development.

Second, Adept's tag system is much more powerful to find the apps you're looking for.

Third, since you are used to Synaptic, i presume you're coming from Ubuntu or at least a Gnome-based environment.
If you're not willing to put any effort into making the *tiny* adjustments needed to switch from Gnome to KDE, then keep using gnome (i warned you i might flame :P )

Fourth, if it is because you find synaptic easier to use than adept, you already got the add/remove program application :roll:

And fifth, for those who suggested to just *add* synaptic in the menu, that would give 3 different packages managers (and i'm not even counting the APT CLI interface, or even aptitude). That makes *no* sense to me.

Allright, this is it.
Once again, sorry for the rude tone of this, but seeing that make my hair stitch out (dunno if i'm correct on that expression)

cya later
peace
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fredrik2000 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Sorry if I angered you, I just think that Synaptic is easier and more logical to use than Adept, and I don't wanna have 2 Adept programs.
My reference comes from PCLinuxOS wich uses Synaptic as their standard packge manager and that looks just fine for me. http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/QuickStartSynaptic

Linux Mint KDE CE has a long way left if it's gonna dump the GTK support, or should i say KDE?
Or is there another reason why we should avoid GTK?
But as I stated in my previous post, I am not that good with computers this is just a suggestion from my personnel experience with linux.
Fredrik2000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Fredrik2000,

This was not especially addressed to *you*. :wink:
As i mentioned, it is due to *several* requests for adept.

Still waiting for a fail in the arguments i showed.

Anyway, you should almost never use programs like adept and synaptic since there's mintupdate for the updates, and the software portal for new software.

If somebody *really* doesn't like adept (some people are bold-minded :P )
Then let him install it by himself.
But i clearly can't find a valid reason to replace adept by synaptic *by default*.

cheers
ed
In libro veritas

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Zwopper on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:54 pm

ed@Mint wrote:Fredrik2000,

This was not especially addressed to *you*. :wink:
As i mentioned, it is due to *several* requests for adept.

Still waiting for a fail in the arguments i showed.

Anyway, you should almost never use programs like adept and synaptic since there's mintupdate for the updates, and the software portal for new software.

If somebody *really* doesn't like adept (some people are bold-minded :P )
Then let him install it by himself.
But i clearly can't find a valid reason to replace adept by synaptic *by default*.

cheers
ed

Once again I'm totally behind you! 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby ed@Mint on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Zwopper wrote:Once again I'm totally behind you! 8)

Thanks a lot Zwopper :)
It's nice too see i'm not crazy :mrgreen:
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Crazy?.... Did I hear someone say crazy? Was someone calling me? :-)

Crazy Fred

PS: That is my first name you know. lol
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fredrik2000 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 am

Everybody has their personal taste in programs and yours is clearly Adept over Synaptic :) Some people like me and many others prefers Synaptic.
But as you said, if one want to install Synaptic over Adept thats fine, linux is all about choice :wink:

And the software portal still lacks programs to replace a real package manager, but it is a good initiative.
Fredrik2000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LostOverThere on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:00 pm

Some changes...
*Replace the MPlayer gui with SMPlayer which integrates better in KDE, maybe even remove kaffeine?
*Use Synaptic instead of Adept.

Appearance and feel...
*Use a brighter theme and a ”fresh” background, Cassandra had some great wallpapers. And there are some great artists on the forum who could do this e.g. Darkstar, Zwopper, Jernau (sorry if I forgot someone)
*Using a Mint Konqueror background, like Kubutu has. (details are very important)
*Changing the Vista lookalike window theme. The Kubuntu theme is better but not perfect.
*Use Cleanus system sounds instead of KDE native sounds.http://www.kde-look.org/content/ ... tent=61245

I also agree with using the Kaptan Desktop instead of MintAssistant.

Anyway it's important for a distro to create an own identity and Linux Mint KDE CE is on it's way there. It is a really good distro and i'm amased how Boo did a better job than the Kubuntu team of integrating the KDE desktop on the Ubuntu base. Just keep up with the good work :D

I completely agree with the programs and themeing, however I much prefer Adept to Synaptic. Also Fred, the reason we're avoiding GTK+ programs is two reasons, 1) we're a kde (thus qt) desktop. If you have a mix of QT and GTK+ libraries you system slows down greatly seeing you have 2 sets of libraries opened. 2) If possible, we want to not include the GTK+ toolkit to save space on the CD (so we can have a CD and not a DVD).

But don't worry, as soon as someone downloads the GIMP or any other program that uses GTK+, it will download GTK+ as well.
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fredrik2000 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Ok I get it :)
But as you said it's hard to avoid GTK completely, but you have to start somewhere :P
Anyway you could argue about Adept vs Synaptic for ages, just as KDE vs Gnome, Mercedes vs BMW, black vs red socks, etc.

....But then again, most people would find red socks with a black suit kinda awkward, but there are always exceptions :mrgreen:
Fredrik2000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby a2olson on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:58 pm

I have been using the mini version for a couple of months It's been fine . thru in koffice that is a knock out, but I don't use it. thru it out, I tried iit to see the text impact on krita. That was the the deal breaker for me "krita" is the program of most kritical importance to me.
What to have. All the help files possible. A program that would suggest possible downloads from the repos that might solve your problem.
It's moving time throw out what isn't Kritical.
a2olson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Theo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 am

As features for Elyssa, in my opinion the combination of Kphotoalbum and digikam setup with a combined annotation database would be a perfect solution.
Searching and organizing in 10.000+ pictures works well, much more possibilities than with picasa and it does integrate nicely with KDE.

And it would be nice to have the extra gimp plugins for photo manipulation standard installed :-)

Regards,
Gerard
Theo

Postby Fred on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Boo,

I know this thread has centered on program choices, but the thread title does say. "New features for Elyssa KDE."

I would like to see the KDE version as well as the Gnome version go to "LABEL" instead of "UUID" as partition identifiers. I think it would be a good step as "LABEL" has some distinct advantages over "UUID" as an identifier. After all, "LABEL" doesn't change every time you tamper with a partition or the quarter of the moon changes.

This would go a long way to remedy the "UUID" hell that many users experience, without giving up all the name collision advantages of using partition identifiers in a mixed and changing storage environment.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby locutus on Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 am

I just saw this category, minutes after suggesting two new things in the "Suggestions and New Ideas" forum. They are:

Extra mouse buttons:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12250

and a new Mint tool:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12251
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rfpa on Mon May 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Any news concerning Linux 5 KDE CE?
rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE