New features for Elyssa KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: New features for Elyssa KDE

Postby locutus on Mon May 12, 2008 8:31 pm

rfpa wrote:Any news concerning Linux 5 KDE CE?
Hmmm. As much as I appreciate Boo's work, I wish he would spend some time answering in the forums, the KDE forums if nothing/nowhere else.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fred on Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 pm

I hope a KDE beta will be here when it is really in beta condition, and not a minute sooner. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Boo on Mon May 12, 2008 11:17 pm

the KDE beta is close.
The dev team have Beta 013 for testing.
I think there will be a few minor fixes to it before some final testing and a release.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Zwopper on Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 am

Boo wrote:the KDE beta is close.
I think there will be a few minor fixes to it before some final testing and a release.

Boo

8) 8) 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby rfpa on Tue May 13, 2008 4:49 am

:)
rfpa
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ed@Mint on Tue May 13, 2008 4:56 am

Could you give us a first taste of the new features it'll include ? :)
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby badmotor 2 on Tue May 13, 2008 7:21 pm

Boo wrote:the KDE beta is close.

Boo

Yeeha! I have a blank cd with KDE written on it... :D
badmotor 2

Postby ed@Mint on Tue May 13, 2008 7:53 pm

badmotor 2 wrote:Yeeha! I have a blank cd with KDE written on it... :D

Well, the KDE full edition will require a DVD i think... :?
In libro veritas

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby badmotor 2 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:10 pm

ed@Mint wrote:
badmotor 2 wrote:Yeeha! I have a blank cd with KDE written on it... :D

Well, the KDE full edition will require a DVD i think... :?

Oh.... well I have some of those as well!

I found out the hard way when I made my /root partition only 4GB and installed a couple of programs - next thing you know, it is 96% full! Oh well, all good now.
badmotor 2

Postby AK Dave on Thu May 15, 2008 6:49 pm

What I like about the "lite" version of Daryna/KDE is that it DOESN'T come with a lot of extra software and that the exact items I really want can be selected by me. Konquerer is acceptable as a base. But Koffice-vs-OpenOffice? Firefox3 instead of Konquerer? Let me make those decisions for myself. My opinion that Koffice is the KDE equivilant of "MS Works" is irrelevant, because other people like it. I'll uninstall it.

Here's my suggestion: Instead of making both a DVD and a CD release of Elyssa/KDE, make a base CD and an extended CD. By moving more of the apps to the extended CD, you could have a base CD with both KDE3.5 and KDE4.x available as options on install for the individual to pick from. Maybe default to 3.5 for simplicity. But then the only reason to download the extended CD is for performing installs where you don't want to (or can't) just grab everything from the internet. The extended CD would also facilitate easier network installs, because the iso can just be remotely mounted.

Something to look at might be how Sabayon, even their "lite" CD, handles hardware detection on install and liveCD bootup. Dang thats slick!

I'd like to see a multi-button logitech mouse configure without having to manually edit xorg.conf. Even if that meant having to pick from a menu of keyboard/mouse options.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AK Dave on Thu May 15, 2008 6:58 pm

mbKarlos wrote:I am just meaning to put a link in the desktop after installed, it can be named "Install Necessary Sofware", and show a window with all software we would have to install to have a complete KDE mint Edition, I mean all those apps that is eliminated to fit in a CD, and the option to select, So if I do not want to install Gimp, I unselect it; if I want to install OpenOffice, I select it. And also a short explanation of what the package or application does.

This is a better explained version of what I was thinking of. Combine this with a CD iso that wraps up all of these "recommended apps" for ease of download, offline install, network install, etc.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Boo,

Please don't forget to fix the boot splash screen problem when using a separate /boot partition.

Thanks,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby locutus on Thu May 15, 2008 11:09 pm

AK Dave wrote:I'd like to see a multi-button logitech mouse configure without having to manually edit xorg.conf. Even if that meant having to pick from a menu of keyboard/mouse options.

Mouse buttons already work in Mint 5 with Firefox 3 beta5, though I didn't get a chance to try them on FF-2 or Konqueror. In Mint 4 KDE I got the mouse buttons working for FF3 but it took away their functionality in FF2. So now I just use FF3 anyway.

I also managed to bork my install of beta Mint 5 (my fault, not Mint's) so I can't try them now on alternatives. I'm a KDE guy anyway so I'm not reinstalling until the KDE version comes out.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby AK Dave on Fri May 16, 2008 7:05 pm

How about VBA optimization ala openSuSE 11 to help speed OpenOffice load times, or would that be an issue to tackle in Mint6?

You can really just cherry pick the niftiest little improvement from each distro and roll them together. openSUSE 11 has the VBA optimization. Fedora 9 allows file encryption to be rolled directly into the install. Sabayon has a very optimized boot and with no effort on the user's part fires up appropriate (albiet restricted/proprietary) video drivers for enhanced/optimal 3D experience right out of the box. Mandriva and Sabayon both default, with no user effort, to enhanced 3D eyecandy. Vista automatically grades your system hardware based on some wierd internal benchmarking and automatically scales its eyecandy to your system's percieved optimal capacity.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AK Dave on Wed May 21, 2008 6:11 pm

I've thought about this some more and I think that the most important "feature" to include in Mint5KDE is to make it just as rock-solid stable as Mint4KDE. Oh please, not like when I upgraded Gutsy to Hardy.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Boo on Wed May 21, 2008 6:49 pm

well an update to Elyssa KDE, I have uploaded beta019 for testing by the team.
I think all the nasty bugs are gone (appart from any hardy ones).
KDE is really a minor bug fix update unlike gnome so it should be more stable.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby locutus on Wed May 21, 2008 7:00 pm

Is there any way I can get this beta to try out?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby AK Dave on Thu May 22, 2008 3:14 pm

I'll volunteer myself to beta Elyssa-KDE-b019 as well. I'll put it on the test partition where I currently have Elyssa-b032. Sure thing. But I'm not going to abandon my Daryna-KDE install for love or for money.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rhvkl on Sat May 24, 2008 12:30 pm

I've tested Kubuntu and ready to change (with the next KMint :D )

Probably I'me late, but here are my wishes:

a) green Look (blue is associated with bluescreen in my mind)
b) kde4, I guess it's already on board, right?
c) no koffice ... stay with openoffice, please
d) no gimp ... I like krita (looks similar to photoshop, but not that mighty at all)
e) no firefox beta ... my fav is opera (not opensource, which is a problem)
rhvkl
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ed@Mint on Sat May 24, 2008 2:09 pm

The new version will be KDE 3.5.9.

KDE4 is just not ready yet.
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE