[SOLVED]LM12 64Bit KDE Installer doesn't recognise WinXp OS

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gyrotwister

[SOLVED]LM12 64Bit KDE Installer doesn't recognise WinXp OS

Post by Gyrotwister »

With all the chaos surrounding Gnome3, Unity, Cinnamon, etc I thought I'd give KDE a try.
I'm having trouble with the LM12 64Bit KDE installer.
The installer can see my LM11 Gnome 32Bit OS but can't see (or is deliberately ignoring) my WinXp OS. In either "Guided - use entire disk" mode or "Manual" mode it sees the WinXp area as "free space". This worries me as I need to keep WinXP for editing a couple of peripheral pieces of music gear I use.
When I recently installed LM11 Gnome 32Bit I chose the "Install along side other OSs" option and it automatically used the available free space leaving all other OSs undisturbed. I'm kind of surprised not to see that option here.
Is it possible to Dual boot LM12 64Bit KDE with WinXp?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM12 64Bit KDE Installer doesn't recognise WinXp OS

Post by remoulder »

If the installer is not seeing the Windows installation it may imply there is something not quite right with the partition, perhaps not aligned correctly? Try running gparted from the menu before running the installer and if the Windows partition is seen in that, moving/resizing it and perhaps creating a new partition for mint then selecting that in the installer. Sometimes the Windows partition needs to be defragged and chkdsk'ed to correct these kind of issues.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Gyrotwister

Re: LM12 64Bit KDE Installer doesn't recognise WinXp OS

Post by Gyrotwister »

Just had another look. The WinXp partition is listed as NTFS but graphically it shows up as grey which is the same colour as free space. That confused me.
Anyway, it looks like this installer doesn't have the "Install alongside other OSs" option so I'll have to manually "Prepare Partitions".
I'll do some reading and then start a new thread.

Return to “Software & Applications”