restricted-manager and misc.

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

restricted-manager and misc.

Postby bgb1122 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:21 am

Hello all,

I've been a mint user for about 6 months but just the main addition. I've also really been a gnome guy since using desktop linux, though I have used kde here and there. I thought I would give kde CE a try because I like Digikam and a couple of other kde apps.

I just have a question or two about the CE. Is the a restricted-manager installed by default and if not why? I had to manually install the restricted-manager-kde and it still would not integrate into the system manager. I have a ATI graphics card in my laptop and I want to be able to use compiz.

Also, both konquorer and firefox crashed multiple times when trying to open pages with any kind of embedded flash.

I'm reinstalling as I write this to see if I can start from scratch with better luck.

One more thing I just thought of. I noticed with Digikam when you first start it and it asks where your picture files are located, it explicitly tells you NOT to use files mounted on a remote computer. Why is that? That is exactly what I want to do on my laptop. (NFS mount)

Anyway, thanks for any help/advice :D
bgb1122
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: restricted-manager and misc.

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:06 pm

I don't think restricted-manager is installed - don't know why
For video use Envy - the difference is that you probably get newer drivers with Envy
It seems that Digikam is using sqlite which does not like NFS so it may be better to use samba (Yes I know it's a bit absurd :))
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Boo on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:34 am

restricted-manager is removed to stop it conflicting with envy. (or maybe to just stop confusion)

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Husse on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:50 am

I see you're online Boo when I write this :)
Restricted manager can be used for wifi too....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to KDE