Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome? solved

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome? solved

Postby joutlan on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:09 pm

My card reader is not working I just noticed.....anything I need to do? It worked straight away in Mint gnome. Thoughts?

TIA
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
User avatar
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:16 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome?

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 am

There are some "hidden differences" ....
Which card reader?
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19714
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome?

Postby joutlan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks Husse...here's an lspci....I believe it's the ricoh near the bottom as it's a 5 in one I believe:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 01)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 01)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GT (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection (rev 61)
08:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
08:01.1 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
08:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
08:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
08:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
User avatar
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:16 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome?

Postby rec9140 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 pm

theZoid wrote:My card reader is not working I just noticed.....anything I need to do? It worked straight away in Mint gnome. Thoughts?


My Dell Inspiron 9400 has a Richoh reader built in for SD, and to get LM KDE to use it I have to boot with a card in the reader, after boot, eject the card, put it back in and then do a refresh in Storage Media. After that the card shows up and is readable. With out a card in the slot it seems to just ignore that the reader is there during boot.

I'll check the 5 in 1 reader I have in the desktop when I get back home over the weekend. I know I can read it as I double checked it when I did the install, but don't remember doing anything special for it, but its one of the first installable 5/1 readers that would fit in a floppy drive slot, I've had it for a while.

So:

Put SD card or media into a slot
boot
open storage media
eject media
insert media
hit refresh

Media should appear.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome?

Postby joutlan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:57 pm

rec9140 wrote:
theZoid wrote:My card reader is not working I just noticed.....anything I need to do? It worked straight away in Mint gnome. Thoughts?


My Dell Inspiron 9400 has a Richoh reader built in for SD, and to get LM KDE to use it I have to boot with a card in the reader, after boot, eject the card, put it back in and then do a refresh in Storage Media. After that the card shows up and is readable. With out a card in the slot it seems to just ignore that the reader is there during boot.

I'll check the 5 in 1 reader I have in the desktop when I get back home over the weekend. I know I can read it as I double checked it when I did the install, but don't remember doing anything special for it, but its one of the first installable 5/1 readers that would fit in a floppy drive slot, I've had it for a while.

So:

Put SD card or media into a slot
boot
open storage media
eject media
insert media
hit refresh

Media should appear.


thanks, but that doesn't work for me. Actually, that's what I remember doing in gnome....? Wait...I'm trying to read a 2 gig SD card...is that a problem?
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
User avatar
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:16 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome?

Postby rec9140 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:32 pm

theZoid wrote:
rec9140 wrote:thanks, but that doesn't work for me. Actually, that's what I remember doing in gnome....? Wait...I'm trying to read a 2 gig SD card...is that a problem?


Unfortunately I've got an office full of 1g and 512MB cards.......and I think the card in the reader at home is a 1GB too.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
User avatar
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome?

Postby joutlan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:45 pm

rec9140 wrote:
theZoid wrote:
rec9140 wrote:thanks, but that doesn't work for me. Actually, that's what I remember doing in gnome....? Wait...I'm trying to read a 2 gig SD card...is that a problem?


Unfortunately I've got an office full of 1g and 512MB cards.......and I think the card in the reader at home is a 1GB too.


I've got a 1 gig card card around somewhere...I'll try it for sh$ts and grins and 'port back if it makes a difference. :D
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
User avatar
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:16 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome?

Postby Husse on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:45 am

I think Richoh has a proiblem with xd cards
Do a search for
Code: Select all
card reader Ricoh

in the forum. There are only some 8 hits but a few are useful
You could also try the spelling Richoh
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19714
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Card reader not working, but worked in Mint gnome? [Solved]

Postby joutlan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:13 am

Solved....I reinstalled without the darned SD card in the reader, and now it magically works, no problem :)
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
User avatar
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:16 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to KDE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests