<Resolved> Help With Recovery Mode

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

<Resolved> Help With Recovery Mode

Postby gotbusch on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm new to Linux Mint and Linux in general, which is the cause of my post here.

Concerning my setup, I'm running a dual-boot system with XP and Linux Mint miniKDE (Daryna) edition. I'm currently booting through GRUB.

The problem:
Mint will not boot through normal method

Cause [this is best guess, not certainty]:
Yesterday I attempted to set up a wireless network. After utilizing ndisgtk to load my wireless driver I received the notice "Hardware Present: Yes". However, through iwconfig, my wlan0 connection was slated as not being present. After doing some troubleshooting I decided to go ahead and proceed with appending ndiswrapper to /etc/modules. I believe it is due to this that Mint will not boot.

My question:
Is it possible to go through recovery mode to edit /etc/modules so that I can remove ndiswrapper (if this is even the problem)? If so, what are the commands to do this, as I am not familiar with utilizing Linux commands in recovery mode?

Thanks for your time and help.
Last edited by gotbusch on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gotbusch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help With Recovery Mode

Postby Husse on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:32 am

I don't think it's because of what you added to /etc/modules that you can't boot, but remove it in "recovery mode" and then follow the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
I assume you know how to boot into recovery mode. You end up at a prompt as root
Then you use normal command line commands - it's always good to have some knowledge about them (even in Windows :))
So
nano /etc/modules
you move with the arrow keys and use back space to erase
Then ctr+x to exit Y to save changes
Reboot!
In "recovery mode" you are root and you definitely don't want to end up in gnome as root
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Help With Recovery Mode

Postby gotbusch on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Issue resolved, thanks for your help.

EDIT 1 -- As a side note I would like to mention that I muddled terms. I was, indeed, able to get through boot, but once I completed logging in I would get a login hang-up and no desktop. After removing ndiswrapper from /etc/modules the problem was resolved. It probably wasn't a good idea to go ahead with the modules edit since I wasn't able to properly configure my wireless card.
gotbusch
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE