It's a mess

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: It's a mess

Postby AK Dave on Sun May 18, 2008 3:39 am

Fred wrote:Gentoo was my first real exposure to Linux. Well Slackware too but thats another story.

Yggdrasil for me. :P Then Slackware. Then when all my friends were waiting patiently to download Red Hat, it was OS/2 for me.

I look at Gentoo now and think, "what a great learning experience."

And I look at it and say "OMFG not that road again". If I wanted to go Gentoo, I'd install Sabayon Linux. Gentoo-based. Roll from there. I'm ashamed at how much linux I've forgotten. Yeah, I don't have the time to plow into Gentoo but hats off to the guys who can make it purr. I no longer do "IT" as a profession. I fix people, not computers, these days.

Mint KDE just works. My preference is the "lite" install, but I am slowly warming to the "lots of apps" bloated DVD concept. Mostly because uninstall is just as easy as install, especially with Mint, and there is sublime comfort in knowing that all of the apps preloaded in the distro you just installed were hand picked, tested, and reviewed by a solid team.

OTOH, I also like how Ubuntu's Synaptic add/remove offers "star rating" classification for everything installable. With Ubuntu, I always sort add/remove by "star rating" and add only 4 and 5 star apps unless it is something I'm looking for by name.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fred on Sun May 18, 2008 3:58 am

AK Dave,

If you like the "add/remove" front end you know you can install it in Mint don't you? It just doesn't come in the default program complement. But it is in the repos.

As far as me and Gentoo go, I am way to lazy for that now. Though I do admit that I have Sabayon on my box so I can play with it once in a while. That's about as close as I get to Gentoo these days. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby arjay on Sun May 18, 2008 6:29 am

Fred

I have mint 4 kde ce and would like to try the add/remove facility. I searched in synaptic for add, remove, and similar but never came across it. Do you by any chance know what it is actually called?

TIA

Richard
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Boo on Sun May 18, 2008 8:03 am

kde does not use mintmenu so the uninstall app option is not in it.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby arjay on Sun May 18, 2008 9:16 am

Boo wrote:kde does not use mintmenu so the uninstall app option is not in it.

Boo

Life's not fair huh?
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby AK Dave on Sun May 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Add/Remove is on my Mint4KDE menu and I didn't put it there myself.

Its the Adept Installer. Top item on the System menu. You put it there, didn't you Boo?
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby locutus on Sun May 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Boo, the Mintmenu has the new feature of right-clicking to remove an item from the menu and also to uninstall that same app, right? Will the kde version have a variation of the same functionality?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to KDE