Defaults for the new user profile in kde

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Defaults for the new user profile in kde

Postby soup-n-sandwich on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi guys
Does anybody have any first hand experience making a new users default configuration profile?
I was told in the past that KDE4 doesn't use the /etc/skel. That is true that MOST distros don't have anything in the /etc/skel...but it will still work.
In Mint I see that the defaults (some of the default....not all) for new users are in /use/share/kde4/config/. In this dir. there is a README file that indicates that the files in this dir are the defaults and if you are a sysadmin and need to change the defaults for a new user you can copy these defaults (and modify them) to the /etc/kde4/config directory as config files in this directory will have priority over the ones in /usr/share/kde4/config. Well I tried it. It works but there is a lot to be desired. Things like color, panel arrangement, and many other configurations are not in this config file list.

I then tried the old method...with much more success. I first create a temp user. Configure the desktop as I need it.
As root I copy all the file from /home/temp/ (including the hidden files) to the /etc/skel/. I confirm that the ownership is root for all files.

I then run a search for hard path files {grep -ir 'temp' /etc/skel/ >> /root/Desktop/grepOutput.txt] and change them to a variable. Example is the file path in some of these files would ready something like /home/temp/.kde/app/...... I would change that too either $HOME/.kde/app/..... or ~/.kde/app/.....
I tried it out and it works very well...except for a couple of things. For some reason the network app won't connect to the network. The icon is just a red "X".

Anybody know what file in the users home is related to this app?

Is there a better way to make this default user profile for a new user?
Soup
soup-n-sandwich
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to KDE