CUPS print to pdf not working

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby CJCorcoran on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 am

Hello,

I seem to have an issue with the CUPS print to pdf function. If I try to print a file, it doesn't show up in my /home/username/documents folder. If I check the printer's status, it shows that the job is being held. If I instead check the "print to file" box beside it, it will allow me to save the file, but as a postscript file. Can you guys think of any solutions to remedy this problem?

--Chris
CJCorcoran
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby Tony G on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 am

CJCorcoran wrote:If I try to print a file, it doesn't show up in my /home/username/documents folder.


I've experienced this too. I don't know whether this post, especially comment 1, will help. Will try it out later, unless someone reports it doesn't work faster than I get to it.
User avatar
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Laramie, WY, US

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby NiksaVel on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:15 pm

same problem here... it just isn't working no matter what I try to do...

first of all, you should change the driver for the printer from raw to generic/postscript... than it will stop trying to hold back jobs, but still nothing gets generated ... ???? help :)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
User avatar
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Croatia

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby Zwopper on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 pm

This seams to be KDE specific, cause under Gnome it works like a charm, so maybe some reconfiguration needs to be done under KDE... :?:
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby deadguy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:25 pm

CJCorcoran wrote:Hello,

I seem to have an issue with the CUPS print to pdf function. If I try to print a file, it doesn't show up in my /home/username/documents folder. If I check the printer's status, it shows that the job is being held. If I instead check the "print to file" box beside it, it will allow me to save the file, but as a postscript file. Can you guys think of any solutions to remedy this problem?

--Chris



same here. but in printer selection there's also a choice for "print to file(pdf)"
that works like a charm!
here's a screen shot of what I mean:
pdf.png
pdf.png (61.06 KiB) Viewed 3477 times


cheers,

Deadguy
User avatar
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Illinois USA

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:24 am

yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...

I can also confirm that cups-pdf is working properly in the gnome release.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
User avatar
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Croatia

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby CJCorcoran on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:41 am

Hey. Thanks for all the info, but he's right. It won't work for FF and the like -- just Konqueror. Oh well, I rarely need to print PDF's so this will suffice.
CJCorcoran
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 am

I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everytning just right... :evil:
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
User avatar
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Croatia

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby Tony G on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:34 am

Can't speak to fixing the issue, but the link in my post here has a work-around. After you've configured KPrint, printing to file in the PostScript/default printer creates a postscript file, which can be opened in KGhost viewer or KPDF.

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
User avatar
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Laramie, WY, US

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby deadguy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm

NiksaVel wrote:yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...


I did not realize that :(


NiksaVel wrote: I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everything just right... :evil:


I'd like to know as well because now this is going to bug me :?

edit: works fine in gnome for me as well. very weird :?
Last edited by deadguy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Illinois USA

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby Zwopper on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:25 pm

deadguy wrote:
NiksaVel wrote:yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...


I did not realize that :(


NiksaVel wrote: I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everything just right... :evil:


I'd like to know as well because now this is going to bug me :?

Dito! :cry:
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby akshunj on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Man, I hate unresolved threads...

The workaround in Firefox is to select the "Print to File" option. It will allow you to then select either post-script or pdf. Selecting PDF will let you choose the folder and filename to save under. Works perfect here.

--Akshun J
User avatar
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby clem on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi,

I hope that isn't a bug (that's part of the things we test so I'm surprised to see it here). Check /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf, there should be an "Out" line defining the destination. The value should be your Documents folder (by default in Ubuntu it's "PDF".. and that doesn't work).

I should really check that myself but I've switched to x64 to run tests before the release..

Clem.
Image
User avatar
clem
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5580
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby exploder on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:51 pm

This was tested. deadguy has the solution.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 am
Location: HartfordCity, Indiana USA

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby deadguy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:07 am

I see this post has been resurrected so I thought I'd try it in Elyssa and,
I had the same results..... "print to pdf" works fine in Elyssa Gnome but, not in Elyssa KDE.


clem wrote:

Check /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf, there should be an "Out" line defining the destination. The value should be your Documents folder (by default in Ubuntu it's "PDF".. and that doesn't work).


I checked this in Elyssa KDE and the Out path is set correctly.

However,

akshunj wrote:The workaround in Firefox is to select the "Print to File" option. It will allow you to then select either post-script or pdf. Selecting PDF will let you choose the folder and filename to save under. Works perfect here.



akshunj's Firefox workaround is good enough for me :D
User avatar
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Illinois USA

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby The_WB on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I tried that today and PDF print in Firefox 3.0.3 crashed FF. PDF printing worked fine under FF 3.0.1, I couldn't test 3.0.2 since it was out only a couple days. Also, PDF print works fine under Konqueror on the very web page I tried to PDF print in FF. Could this be a FF bug carried into Mint KDE?

Also, Postscript printing is also giving me a problem on the KDE release. When I select PS print, I get a Ghostscript error in configuration message.
The_WB
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:17 am

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:56 am

Easiest solution is to delete the "Print to PDF" printer and re-create it using the Add Printer wizard. When I create the CUPS-PDF printer (in other distros), I always use the Generic Postscript printer. No problems in past and it does work with latest KDE version of Mint.
Guest
 

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby dafi on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:02 am

I created the Print-to-PDF Printer using the Printer Wizard, but FF crashes, when I select Print from the File Menu.
And it uses >50% of my CPU all the time with the same tabs that were open before the upgrade in FF2 O.O confused?
dafi
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:55 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to KDE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests