CUPS print to pdf not working

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby CJCorcoran on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 am

Hello,

I seem to have an issue with the CUPS print to pdf function. If I try to print a file, it doesn't show up in my /home/username/documents folder. If I check the printer's status, it shows that the job is being held. If I instead check the "print to file" box beside it, it will allow me to save the file, but as a postscript file. Can you guys think of any solutions to remedy this problem?

--Chris
CJCorcoran
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: CUPS print to pdf not working

Postby Tony G on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 am

CJCorcoran wrote:If I try to print a file, it doesn't show up in my /home/username/documents folder.

I've experienced this too. I don't know whether this post, especially comment 1, will help. Will try it out later, unless someone reports it doesn't work faster than I get to it.
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby NiksaVel on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:15 pm

same problem here... it just isn't working no matter what I try to do...

first of all, you should change the driver for the printer from raw to generic/postscript... than it will stop trying to hold back jobs, but still nothing gets generated ... ???? help :)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Zwopper on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 pm

This seams to be KDE specific, cause under Gnome it works like a charm, so maybe some reconfiguration needs to be done under KDE... :?:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby deadguy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:25 pm

CJCorcoran wrote:Hello,

I seem to have an issue with the CUPS print to pdf function. If I try to print a file, it doesn't show up in my /home/username/documents folder. If I check the printer's status, it shows that the job is being held. If I instead check the "print to file" box beside it, it will allow me to save the file, but as a postscript file. Can you guys think of any solutions to remedy this problem?

--Chris

same here. but in printer selection there's also a choice for "print to file(pdf)"
that works like a charm!
here's a screen shot of what I mean:
pdf.png
pdf.png (61.06 KiB) Viewed 3136 times

cheers,

Deadguy
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:24 am

yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...

I can also confirm that cups-pdf is working properly in the gnome release.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby CJCorcoran on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:41 am

Hey. Thanks for all the info, but he's right. It won't work for FF and the like -- just Konqueror. Oh well, I rarely need to print PDF's so this will suffice.
CJCorcoran
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 am

I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everytning just right... :evil:
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Tony G on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:34 am

Can't speak to fixing the issue, but the link in my post here has a work-around. After you've configured KPrint, printing to file in the PostScript/default printer creates a postscript file, which can be opened in KGhost viewer or KPDF.

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby deadguy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm

NiksaVel wrote:yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...

I did not realize that :(

NiksaVel wrote: I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everything just right... :evil:

I'd like to know as well because now this is going to bug me :?

edit: works fine in gnome for me as well. very weird :?
Last edited by deadguy on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Zwopper on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:25 pm

deadguy wrote:
NiksaVel wrote:yes, but the "pseudo-printer" print to file that you've mentioned here is KDE specific - i.e. it will not show up as an option in non-KDE apps, like i.e. firefox...

I did not realize that :(

NiksaVel wrote: I'd still like to know why isn't it working since I've tried and retried setting everything just right... :evil:

I'd like to know as well because now this is going to bug me :?

Dito! :cry:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby akshunj on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Man, I hate unresolved threads...

The workaround in Firefox is to select the "Print to File" option. It will allow you to then select either post-script or pdf. Selecting PDF will let you choose the folder and filename to save under. Works perfect here.

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi,

I hope that isn't a bug (that's part of the things we test so I'm surprised to see it here). Check /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf, there should be an "Out" line defining the destination. The value should be your Documents folder (by default in Ubuntu it's "PDF".. and that doesn't work).

I should really check that myself but I've switched to x64 to run tests before the release..

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby exploder on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:51 pm

This was tested. deadguy has the solution.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby deadguy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:07 am

I see this post has been resurrected so I thought I'd try it in Elyssa and,
I had the same results..... "print to pdf" works fine in Elyssa Gnome but, not in Elyssa KDE.

clem wrote:

Check /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf, there should be an "Out" line defining the destination. The value should be your Documents folder (by default in Ubuntu it's "PDF".. and that doesn't work).

I checked this in Elyssa KDE and the Out path is set correctly.

However,

akshunj wrote:The workaround in Firefox is to select the "Print to File" option. It will allow you to then select either post-script or pdf. Selecting PDF will let you choose the folder and filename to save under. Works perfect here.

akshunj's Firefox workaround is good enough for me :D
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby The_WB on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I tried that today and PDF print in Firefox 3.0.3 crashed FF. PDF printing worked fine under FF 3.0.1, I couldn't test 3.0.2 since it was out only a couple days. Also, PDF print works fine under Konqueror on the very web page I tried to PDF print in FF. Could this be a FF bug carried into Mint KDE?

Also, Postscript printing is also giving me a problem on the KDE release. When I select PS print, I get a Ghostscript error in configuration message.
The_WB
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:56 am

Easiest solution is to delete the "Print to PDF" printer and re-create it using the Add Printer wizard. When I create the CUPS-PDF printer (in other distros), I always use the Generic Postscript printer. No problems in past and it does work with latest KDE version of Mint.

Postby dafi on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:02 am

I created the Print-to-PDF Printer using the Printer Wizard, but FF crashes, when I select Print from the File Menu.
And it uses >50% of my CPU all the time with the same tabs that were open before the upgrade in FF2 O.O confused?
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to KDE