Help with Several Issues With Daryna KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Help with Several Issues With Daryna KDE

Postby drcfisher on Tue May 20, 2008 9:32 am

I am new to Linux Mint and I have several issues I need to resolve.

1. Is their a system process monitor with estimates of system resources used? My system has slowed to a crawl due to the hard drive running continuously. I need to identify the offending process(es) and kill or uninstall them. I found an area the identified system processes, but it did not give system resource usage stats.

2. I thought that Firestarter automatically started with Mint; however, I noticed that in the system process is listed as "not running." Should I be concerned?

3. I recently installed CNR. I really like the service. However, it automatically boots up with my computer and then errors out because it tries to check the internet before the KDE wallet allows an internet connection. And even more annoying is that it boots up my internet browser immediately which also errors out because the internet connection has not started yet. I went into the CNR configuration area and unchecked all the options regarding the above. But CNR does not save my configuration changes for some reason. Any advice on how get CNR to save my configuration changes?

4. Where is the trash can in Mint KDE? I've looked everywhere.

Thanks for your help! I've really enjoyed LInux Mint thus far!
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help with Several Issues With Daryna KDE

Postby Zwopper on Tue May 20, 2008 10:34 am

4. Open Konqueror and type:
Code: Select all
trash:/

Or add it as an applet to the panel.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Tony G on Tue May 20, 2008 11:46 am

First off, welcome! I started with Linux in January, and between the strength of the Mint and its community, I'm very happy, and hope you will be too.

drcfisher wrote:1. Is their a system process monitor with estimates of system resources used? My system has slowed to a crawl due to the hard drive running continuously. I need to identify the offending process(es) and kill or uninstall them. I found an area the identified system processes, but it did not give system resource usage stats.

Tasty menu > System > KSysGuard. There's also an applet called Runaway Process Catcher, but I have no experience with it.

drcfisher wrote:2. I thought that Firestarter automatically started with Mint; however, I noticed that in the system process is listed as "not running." Should I be concerned?

I'm not an expert in Linux security by any means, but Mint comes with iptables installed. It's my understanding that this is good enough, unless you're running your box as a server.

drcfisher wrote:4. Where is the trash can in Mint KDE? I've looked everywhere.

From the wiki.

Sorry, I have no idea about CNR. A search on the boards indicates that it may come with Elyssa, but I haven't played with the beta enough to say. You may want to check out Tasty > Software Portal for specific Mintified applications. Packages not there can be gotten from the package managers (i.e., Adept) (I replaced the default LM KDE package managers with Synaptic, so I can't be more helpful than suggesting you do a search in the Tasty menu for "package" or "adept."

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm

drcfisher,

Just a couple more clarifiers.

1) Open a terminal and type:

That will give you a running readout of your resource usage too.

2) Read through the thread below about firestarter, and follow my link in the thread and read my post in that thread too.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11371

3) I haven't tried the CNR software but have heard reports of multiple problems with it. It wouldn't surprise me if CNR is what is causing the resource problem you mentioned above. You can go into system settings in system administration and uncheck that app in a list of services that start on boot. It may be listed there, causing the config setting not to be persistent.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to KDE