KDE misconceptions on being slow and bloated

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

KDE misconceptions on being slow and bloated

Post by anandrkris »

http://www.muktware.com/5358/kde-miscon ... nd-bloated - I largely concur with this though I found that boot time to be tad slow. Sharing this for awareness and to elicit your views.
It's time for the ghost of the past and the misconceptions of the present to be put to rest. Today's KDE is a slimmer, faster, elegant and extremely usable computing environment, more than a match for any other desktop around. Try it, you'll see.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: KDE misconceptions on being slow and bloated

Post by Orbmiser »

Sadly I was one of those Gnome users perpetuating those claims of KDE being a Hog. And as the article points out can verify that my perceptual facts about KDE where False and widely inaccurate.
"Just for comparison I installed XFCE 4.10 on the same machine, a desktop known for lightness and speed. While certainly not scientific by any standard, I honestly don't see any difference in performance. KDE is a bit larger in memory, 450 Mb compared to XFCE's 325 Mb. Considering I'm comparing my default KDE desktop with effects turned on and running several Plasma widgets to a bare-bones XFCE, I don't really see those extra megabytes as excessive or "bloated". I could have turned off the effects and killed the widgets to make it a more even comparison memory-wise, but in the end I didn't bother. After an hour using XFCE it was apparent to me there was no difference in speed, only a loss of the usability I've become accustomed to with KDE."
"Today's KDE (4.10.1 as of this writing) is not the same animal it was 6 years ago. It's not the same animal it was just two years ago. No, it's not a lightweight desktop like XFCE. Instead it's a complete computing environment more comparable to Gnome 3 and Unity, or Windows and OS-X for that matter. Today's KDE however has the speed of the lightweight desktops combined with usability and configurability like no other."
I Can attest that it's NOT! a resource hog as chimes in at around 430-450mb.
Unity & Cinnamon chime in a lot higher than that.
Also found KDE a lot smother,snappier than Unity or Cinnamon. Tho do still Love Cinnamon Mint Desktop.

And KDE is a very mature & powerful Desktop Environment with practical features that add to usability and productivity.
Allowing me to getting work done in a easier and more fluid work flow.

Tho do hate the confusing array of that very reconfigurability options.
And some of their default themes,icons and such. But very easy to adjust once you decipher the menu options.
And toned mine down to more like Gnome in that regard and end up with a more like a Super Gnome with features I can use that Gnome doesn't have.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Orbmiser wrote:Sadly I was one of those Gnome users perpetuating those claims of KDE being a Hog.
I Can attest that it's NOT! a resource hog as chimes in at around 430-450mb.
Also found KDE a lot smother,snappier than Unity or Cinnamon.

I agree with this post.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Maybe it depends a bit on hardware. I don't see a noticable difference on any desktop I have tried. And I have only tried Cinnamon, KDE, and whatever Compiz was running on. They are all the same. Cinnamon did have mem leaks, but that was 1.4. I don't have the latest and greatest hardware, but it is fairly new, and I have begun to overclock my Intel HD 4000 graphics and my memory, bumped from 1600 to 1866. Desktop doesn't matter. The speed differences at this point just aren't noticable.
Cerule

Post by Cerule »

Being bloated is relative and somewhat subjective. I found KDE fast and snappy even with my about 5 year old computer. Much more than for example freshly installed Win7. Lighter desktops (XFCE, LXDE etc) are OK but the speed difference is too minor for me to give out the features and eye candy that KDE offers .

Return to “Software & Applications”