Amarok 1.4.9 on Daryna-KDE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Amarok 1.4.9 on Daryna-KDE?

Postby AK Dave on Thu May 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Anyone had any experience, good or bad, upgrading Amarok to 1.4.9 (with libgpod.0.6.0) as is available from Hardy repos onto Daryna-KDE? I desperately need this Amarok version as it is the only to properly support the iPod Classic (and other current-gen iPod hardware).

If I do this, would it be better for me to edit sources.list to include Hardy repos but selectively take only Amarok and libgpod files or should I go for a more "manual" approach with getdeb?
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Amarok 1.4.9 on Daryna-KDE?

Postby 67GTA on Thu May 29, 2008 10:25 pm

If you add Hardy repos to Daryna, you will end up with a mess. You would be better off installing a .deb package manually. I think there will be dependency problems, but Gdebi will tell you if it won't install, and you won't hose your system with Hardy repos.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AK Dave on Fri May 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Short of using Hardy repos, I don't see an alternative to compiling from source and solving dependancy issues myself. I had hoped there was a different way. Come Elyssa, this should be solved as Hardy repos are usable directly.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby AK Dave on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:04 pm

Had a lot of dependancy issues trying to compile my own libgpod. Bad scene. Haven't tried going the Amarok-2 route (also a "compile your own") due to stories of "250MB downloads".

Installed Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE4 on another partition, a solution for a few testbed issues all at once: 1) see Kubuntu installed fresh and on its own instead of bolt-on to a gnome Ubuntu install, 2) see KDE4 again, fresh and clean, and 3) clean-slate compare Kubuntu-vs-Mint. Plus, as bonus, I knew it would install Amarok 1.4.9 and the proper libgpod to support an iPod Classic.

It works, but man am I soooo missing Mint!

KDE4 is glossy, but not near as friendly or fun to use as KDE3.5, and Mint is just so nicely integrated and easy to use. Kubuntu doesn't even come close to stacking up in comparison with Mint.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Return to KDE