Mint KDE 15

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint KDE 15

Post by xox101 »

Working fine for me on a Lenovo X200. I tried KDE testing in desperation as Nemo and Nautilus froze when trying to view thumbnails on my server.

Only bug I have found is when trying to play video, also from my server. Getting a "Cannot find input plugin for MRL ". This seems to be an old bug and hopefully will be fixed in the final.

It's been quite a few years since I tried KDE, it has come far in that time, really beautiful and may well be a keeper for me!
tannhaus

Post by tannhaus »

So, if I download and install the RC, does it get updates and eventually become the release version? Or do I have to download the release version later and install again?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The RC uses the same repositories as the final release, so yes the RC will upgrade through the Update Manager to the final release automatically. Only if there was found an issue in the installer there may be a difference. Any such issues will be noted on a new blog post with instructions on what to do to fix it. So keep an eye on the blog, http://blog.linuxmint.com/, but most likely the RC will upgrade automatically to the final release and you need not do anything special.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I installed it and it's a beautiful thing. There are only a few things in this world that you can depend on and
Mint KDE being almost flawless is usually one of them. Thanks for another great job. :wink:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Hmmm... looked promising as looked like final was going thru testing.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

fredg Olivia KDE Edition amd64 (build #201306282110) 0% tested 1 Week ago
fredg Olivia KDE Edition i386 (build #201306282026) 88.33% tested

Went from 0 to 88% like in 1-2 days for i386 and amd64 0% remained for the whole week.
But stayed frozen last 7 days. So looks like the usual 1 month after Main release cycle has been broken.
Maybe now end of this month?
Hard to tell as went 0 to 88 in a day or so then frozen for last week.
So no telling I guess when we will see 64bit version?

No biggie and can wait I guess.
Just would be nice to know what's holding it up without the need to pester those hard workers.
colyn

Post by colyn »

Orbmiser wrote:Hmmm... looked promising as looked like final was going thru testing.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

fredg Olivia KDE Edition amd64 (build #201306282110) 0% tested 1 Week ago
fredg Olivia KDE Edition i386 (build #201306282026) 88.33% tested

Went from 0 to 88% like in 1-2 days for i386 and amd64 0% remained for the whole week.
But stayed frozen last 7 days. So looks like the usual 1 month after Main release cycle has been broken.
Maybe now end of this month?
Hard to tell as went 0 to 88 in a day or so then frozen for last week.
So no telling I guess when we will see 64bit version?

No biggie and can wait I guess.
Just would be nice to know what's holding it up without the need to pester those hard workers.
I've started wondering if we are going to get a stable release..
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

You know I believe that we are going to have a KDE stable release (finally!!!!). But the really bad thing about this is that this issue is still awaited. There is no doubt that KDE needs much more attention and caring in the Linux Mint Team.... Thank you in advance !!!! Greetings to All.-
wyz

Post by wyz »

It's true that all of us should be patient waiting for the final release of the KDE and XFCE versions of Linux Mint 15. Lord knows I'm trying. Something is holding up the final checks on the KDE versions. Can anyone in the know tell us what's going on and why things appear to be halted. Is the Linux Mint team waiting on a problem to be fixed upstream? A linux kernel issue? A KDE problem? Hopefully it's not a KDE problem as the next official release from them won't be until August 16 when KDE 4.11 goes final.
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

i know KDE is a bit of a hog but what does everyone else get on RAM usage to desktop?

I have Akondai off, Blueman off, Mint Upload off, CUPS off, dont run any activities and im seeing 740mb on a fresh boot to the desktop? I do use the offical amd catalyst driver which uses a lot but even if i take off 100mb 640mb also seems a lot? is this normal?

The effects are nice on KDE, its fully featured but apart from some nice animations and transparency Im not sure why its so much higher than MATE or XFCE? On xfce i idle at about 280mb.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

phill1978 wrote:i know KDE is a bit of a hog but what does everyone else get on RAM usage to desktop?

I have Akondai off, Blueman off, Mint Upload off, CUPS off, dont run any activities and im seeing 740mb on a fresh boot to the desktop? I do use the offical amd catalyst driver which uses a lot but even if i take off 100mb 640mb also seems a lot? is this normal?

The effects are nice on KDE, its fully featured but apart from some nice animations and transparency Im not sure why its so much higher than MATE or XFCE? On xfce i idle at about 280mb.
The Fud about KDe being a resource hog is just that FUD.. I use to mimic the same when I was a gnome user.
KDE is slightly larger than xfce and find it lighter and faster than Cinnamon or Ubuntu for me.
And noticeably faster than Cinnamon on my dual core with 4gb or ram.

Nope mine with default open drivers on Ati 4350 with two 22" Dual displays boots up clean to 440mb with two kde panels.
Panels have wifi,calendar,ywapp Weather tray widget,volume,notifications and a Desktop Conky script for Date/Time system stats.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9122983666/][img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5508/9122983666_9a611a45e7_n.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/9122983666/]Desktop June 22nd Spanned 1 of 2[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/orb9220/]Orbmiser[/url], on Flickr

To get it up to 700mb-800mb would have to run Firefox 3-4 tabs open Dolphin and Terminal open.

Watch out for third party widgets plasmoids that can eat up a lot of ram. Dropbox,Nevernote,etc... And would look at those.
But think you may have an inkling about proprietary graphics driver may be the issue? As using open default drivers myself.

Also turn off wobbly windows and blur is another suggestion.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

http://www.muktware.com/5358/kde-misconceptions-being-slow-and-bloated
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/05/compositing-and-lightweight-desktops/
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/04/what-makes-a-lightweight-desktop-environment-lightweight/

These links were helpful to me to understand that KDE is bloated is quite an unfounded judgement and a misconception.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nice Links which I remember reading when I first was considering the move from Cinnamon to KDE.
I think 2 things contribute to the misconceptions about KDE enviroment.

1) Default desktop has been in the past too In Your Face Candy visuals which is a turn off for many.
And gives the impression of being bloated. And early version 4 may well have been in that state.
2) Overwhelming and Confusing settings and adjustments with steep learning curve.
Also can give a sense of Too Much ergo.. Bloated.

Coming from Gnome love for me is more minimalism type desktop.
Which is quite achievable with KDE. As just because it shows you all the candy.
Doesn't mean you have to eat all the candy :shock:

Also becoming concerned with the Long Delay and in a stagnant state going near 2 weeks now for KDE final release.
I'm getting Antsy in the Pantsy :P
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

phill1978 wrote:
i know KDE is a bit of a hog but what does everyone else get on RAM usage to desktop?

I have Akondai off, Blueman off, Mint Upload off, CUPS off, dont run any activities and im seeing 740mb on a fresh boot to the desktop
? I do use the offical amd catalyst driver which uses a lot but even if i take off 100mb 640mb also seems a lot? is this normal?

Out of just interest to compare RAM used I captured these for reference only
All have fglrx (amd/ati HD5450) installed
All are KDE, various versions.
Desktop used had intel i3, 4G Ram, AMD/ati HD5450 graphic.

1. Pardus-( debian wheezy based ), desktop with htop only =350M, firefox 20 tabs running= 620M
2. Salix ( slackware based) , desktop with htop only=415M, firefox 8 tabs running = 620M
3. Stella (centos , redhat based), desktop with htop only= 195M, firefox 10 tabs running = 365M
4. Magiea , desktop with htop only=440M, firefox 10 tabs running =509M
5. netrunner ( based on kubuntu) desktop with htop only=440M,
firefox with 24 tabs running=868M
firefox with 24 tabs plus one watching youtube video=913M-925M

It seems your 740M ( at idling?) is way on the very high scale.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

In terms of settings, I would admit that I like Cinnamon. For instance, Kmix & Phonon could just be clubbed as Sound ?
I stick to KDE because of Krunner, Widgets and desktop effects.
Orbmiser wrote:Also becoming concerned with the Long Delay and in a stagnant state going near 2 weeks now for KDE final release.
I'm getting Antsy in the Pantsy :P
Am on Mint 13 KDE and have updated my kernel to 3.8, latest KDE by kubuntu backport ppa's and even have MDM installed.
So only thing I may miss ? if I dont go for Mint 15 KDE is software sources, driver manager, etc. Dont think, they will get backported.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep running KDE 14 myself with backports and been a smooth and glitch free experience.
So not that big of no Mint 15 KDE issue for me.
Tho would be willing to give it a spin with a new kernel and all.
As still running 3.5.0-23 kernel.

But could hold off till Aug. for 4.11 and newer kernel if necessary.
As desktop is zero issue and runs smoothly. And I back up the partition monthly.

Just a concern that maybe KDE & Xfce are becoming too much a chore for the mint team.
And may be in the throes of being phased out down the line?
Maybe not just a unfounded fear that comes to mind from time to time.
Higgles

Post by Higgles »

On the Netrunner site, Starbuck mentions that there have been issues with finding the most stable version of the Linux kernel. Also they had issues with oxygen2 and oxygen3 gtk theme freezes. This is the reasons that Starbuck gave for the delay of Netrunner.

Perhaps these are issues that are delaying Mint KDE 15.
bertilow

Post by bertilow »

Higgles wrote:Perhaps these are issues that are delaying Mint KDE 15.
Delay? What delay? Everything's running just fine here. :wink:
sloan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sloan »

I'm getting anxious for final release too. I tested the RC and everything was perfect except for netflix-desktop, which just would not work.
This is my Linux distro. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

My one (not really big but annoying) problem with the RC is the one described in this bug report. It's still unassigned apparently.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Whoot!..Whoot! :P
5 hrs ago. Maybe KDE will start to rollup final and release?

5 Hours ago clem Olivia Xfce Edition amd64 (build #20130708-1732) 83.33% tested
5 Hours ago clem Olivia Xfce Edition i386 (build #20130708-1732) 88.33% tested

Looks like clem giving a hand as Xfce just passed KDE 64bit still stuck at zero.
And 2 hrs has passed and both versions of Xfce has gone to 90%
Come On! KDE!

Return to “Software & Applications”