Mint KDE 15

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inferno

Mint KDE 15

Post by inferno »

Mint 14 good,

Just installed Mint 15 KDE,
On Manual Install with Partitions no swap on combo selection,
Software manager broken, package manager broken, neither of these work.

So far 15 is a disaster. May have to return to Mint 14 KDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Snapcase

Re: Mint KDE 15

Post by Snapcase »

It's working great for some users like me since the day one.

Nothing is perfect. I know many users having big troubles after a fresh install of Windows, Mac, and various Linux distros. Installing an OS (any OS) is always a critical thing. Sometimes it works perfectly right out of the box, sometimes don't.

Mint 15 KDE is a good OS overall. Better than many and surely worse than others. Just reinstall. And even better download a new iso (even if the former one had a correct checksum). I see no reason to go back to Mint 14 unless you are having a very specific hardware incompataibility issue, which I think is very unlikely if your machine worked fine under Mint 14 KDE. If downgrading, it's better to go for Mint 13 LTS. For a short living release, 15 is a better choice, IMO.
skywolfblue
Level 3
Level 3

Post by skywolfblue »

inferno wrote:Mint 14 good,

Just installed Mint 15 KDE,
On Manual Install with Partitions no swap on combo selection,
Software manager broken, package manager broken, neither of these work.

So far 15 is a disaster. May have to return to Mint 14 KDE.
Broken how specifically? Do they not start up at all, or do they crash while/after starting up?
inferno

Post by inferno »

Took your advice, yes it was a badly corrupted ISO, I was too hasty, downloaded again from a different mirror, this time all worked perfectly, I was so pleased as I have used Mint for years. So to put things to rights Mint 15 KDE is perfect as ever.
:D Thanks for keeping me on track.

John in New Zealand
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

When I saw your problem, I think was the. iso image was wrong, something was definitely wrong. For that reason, before you even test the operating system always verified the images. iso to see if they were well discharged. Always verified.....

All the versions of Linux Mint KDE worked extremely well on my computer. Only the version 12 went wrong ..... Congratulations and Best Regards.-
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

As much as I hate to admit it, Mint 15 KDE has been a major disapointment for me. Nepomuk crashes constantly and I have many graphics problems. For example, I can play a few videos in one application, then if I try to play a video in another application, the file opens but the screen is black and I have to log out and back in again to watch it. I've tried opening a video file in SMPlayer, VLC, and Kaffeine... None of them work until I log out and back in again, then they all work again. This is just one of the many graphics problems I am experiencing. When trying to play audiobooks consisting of separate files for each chapter in Banshee or Amarok the files play out of sequence after the first few files have played. I've had to resort to using VLC for audiobooks. (I usually use Banshee for audiobooks because of its simplicity and bookmarking capability)

I am a sort of Linux newbie, but I've been playing with it on and off since the early 90s. I started using it more and more begining with Ubuntu 7.x. I started using it seriously with LM 12 KDE. Finally this past November, I made the big leap and switched my main laptop and netbook to LM13 KDE then upgraded them to LM 14 KDE. A few days ago after upgrading my LM 14 KDE to KDE 4.11 on my main system I couldn't login. Rsther than mess around with it I decided to do a fresh install of LM KDE 15 mainly because of its support for tablets. I've had one problem after another ever since. Tomorrow I am reinstalling LM 14 KDE and sticking with KDE 4.95. I absolutely love Linux Mint and KDE. LM KDE12-14 were great. I have a 3rd laptop for school which runs Windows 7 because I need MS Office. (I came across too many compatabilty problems between LibreOffice and MS Office) but LM KDE 15 really sucks!
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

This sounds like a video driver problem. Do you have the default Nouveau driver or did you installed any proprietary one?
I came across too many compatabilty problems between LibreOffice and MS Office)
Never had any. Anyway, you can run MS Office installing it with PlayOnLinux. No need for a decdicated machine for MS Office.
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

I didn't install any proprietary video drivers. I just installed LM15 KDE the exact same way I installed LM 14 KDE (download ISO file, burn to DVD, reboot, install). Anyway.., I just reinstalled LM14 KDE and using a simple command script in the terminal I am now reinstalling all of my usual apps. I love the way I can setup a Mint system in minutes instead of hours like Windows. After using Mint KDE for almost a year now, I hate using Windows anymore. I'll try PlayonLinux as soon as my install script finished running. Thanks for the suggestion!
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

I created an slide show using Libreoffice Impress for a public speaking class. On the day of my presentation, I loaded it on the classroom computer and it was all messed up. I had to write everything out on the chalkboard by hand. It really messed me up and I received a lower letter grade for my presentation because of it.
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

About Libre office I only use Write and Calc (The same when I used MS Office years ago; Word and Excel). I only had issues with the file formats used to save the documents when you need to open a document in a different PC with an old Office version. You have to be careful with this. Old Offices won't open everything and of course forget open formats like ODT, etc... In these situations I use to export them as pdf too, just in case. Normally pdf is more compatible.

My consultant has all his PCs loaded with XP and an old Office version and they usually cannot open a lot of documents. Not only mine.
iamcross

Post by iamcross »

apt-get broke after the first few updates and I didn't add any additional repos. It's not like I cannot fix it, but meh, it is definitely not user-friendly, which, as far as I know, is the main philosophy of Linux Mint. With 14 I have never had any problems.
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

After 4 months, I decided to give LM 15 KDE another try, and I'm still having a variety of graphics problems. Moving the cursor across a vertical panel leaves stripes, while copying files from one drive to another the notification icon (the round one showing the progress) has horizontal stripes constantly running up and down the icon, while writing this post, moving the cursor across the text to change something leaves afterimages of the cursor all the way across the text, the text on the window title bars are scrambled, when starting an application moving the cursor across the screen leaves trails. I want to use LM 15 because Dolphin works with my tablet. The driver manager says I have no proprietary drivers installed. Other than the graphics problems, everything else seems to be working just fine. Any suggestions?
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

From doing a little research, KDE 4.11 has a vsync/tearing problem, which seems to be my problem, but I don't know enough to troubleshoot my system or make the necessary adjustments.
jack rooster

Post by jack rooster »

I think I fixed it!

Following a thread I found at http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1kctc1/ , I then:

Opened System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced, then under OpenGL Options, I changed the Tearing Prevention (VSync) option from Automatic to Full scene repaints.

No more tearing!

Return to “Software & Applications”