Switching users broken on KDE LM15 Oliva

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Switching users broken on KDE LM15 Oliva

Postby YoelT on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Originally I used LM14 Cinnamon, in which the switch user function worked, just the way it is supposed to and expected. (One user's session stayed active while another user could log in, and then later the original user could return to the session.) I installed KDE on top of LM14, and this then stopped working. In this case, while attempting to switch users the session crashed to the GDM login screen.
Now I did a fresh install of Mint 15 Oliva KDE edition and expected everything to work in this area and it is not.

I have two users. I also have a triple monitor arrangement (4320x2560 total res) which does put some stress on load on Kwin, X and everything related so I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

This is what happens now when I try to Switch User

1. Click "Switch User" in the launcher
2. A "Desktop Sessions" dialog appears in the place of the Alt-F2 run dialog on the top of the screen. The only option is to click "New Session"
3. At this point this message appears:
"You have chosen to open another desktop session. The current session will be hidden and a new login screen will be displayed.
An F-key is assigned to each session; F7 is usually assigned to the first session, F8 to the second session and so on. You can switch between sessions by pressing Ctrl, Alt and the appropriate F-key at the same time. Additionally, the KDE Panel and Desktop menus have actions for switching between sessions."

4. I click the only option "Start New Session"
5. This drops me to a lock screen. "This session has been locked by <username>" The only options are to put in my password and Unlock which returns me to my session, or "Switch User."
6. Clicking "Switch User" yeilds a dialog with the same message about about the F-keys, as well as a list of active logins in the form of
"username (0:, vt8)" The options are Activate or Switch User
7. Activate does nothing, and Switch User brings me back to the step 5. The Ctrl-Alt-F keys drop me into command lines, in which it appears I can log in via command line as a different user, but I don't know how to get back to the GUI. So essentially I am in a loop and unable to actully allow another user to login.

This is obviously not how this should be working, and it is a shame that such basic functionality is not working in Linux Mint for everyone. Does anyone else have this issue? The only way I can let a another user login is by loggin out and ending my session, which works fine. Can this be repaired?
YoelT
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Switching users broken on KDE LM15 Oliva

Postby Snapcase on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:23 am

You are right. I never noticed it before. I used this function a lot when I was in Kubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 and worked good, but haven't needed it yet since I switched to Olivia KDE. I's certainly annoying.

Anyone knows if it's working ok in Kubuntu 13.04 Or other KDE 10.5 distros? Or is it a LM problem only?
Snapcase
Level 3
Level 3

Postby YoelT on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Does the same thing happen to you? Does this work for anyone else?

Sleep/Suspend also does not work for me, but I think it may be due to my motherboard/BIOS since it never worked on previous installs. It just turns off and I have to restart twice to get back to a login screen. Hibernate works, as does shut down with restore previous session.
YoelT
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Snapcase on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:43 am

I never let to sleep or hibernate any computer, so I cannot tell. Sorry.
Snapcase
Level 3
Level 3

Postby YoelT on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:02 pm

So no one else? Would be nice to know if this is a known issue, fixable, or something that is only happening to two people. Really a shame that it is acceptable for releases like this to have such bugs. I wonder if there are less buggy linux distros out there?
YoelT
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE