How to create a bootable USB with Linux Mint 15

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How to create a bootable USB with Linux Mint 15

Postby Maverick0190 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi,

i use Linux Mint 15 and want to create a bootable windows 7 usb stick. I already have the windows 7 iso and google was no help at all.

greetings
Maverick0190
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to create a bootable USB with Linux Mint 15

Postby wayne128 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Maverick0190 wrote:Hi,

i use Linux Mint 15 and want to create a bootable windows 7 usb stick. I already have the windows 7 iso and google was no help at all.

greetings

Here is what I did,

1. get an old version of unetbootin, I tried successfully with version 4.71.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboo ... ootin/471/

I think upto 4.94 is still ok ( from reading other posts)

2. format your usb stick with ntfs , remember, only ntfs works on win7,
fat32 won't work

3. run unetbootin,
on Diskimage select Win7 iso
on Type: choose USB Drive
==Click to check the box 'Show All Drives (Use with Care)
==Be careful!!.. on Drive: click arrow to popup menu and scroll to select the proper USB drive.
USB drive should be /dev/sdb ... /dev/sdc... not /dev/sdb1, not /dev/sdc1

4. when complete, unmount the usb stick

5. reboot , select boot from usb and get to the familiar win7 installer

As mentioned it is easier to use unetbootin old version.
If you use new version of unetbootin, it won't work on NTFS,
then you need some work around to fool it and let it allow you to copy file, check my post on the procedure viewtopic.php?f=46&t=142965&hilit=unetbootin+unetbootin+471#p755668
wayne128
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Maverick0190 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 pm

I realy need like a nooby guide! i downloaded the unetbootin version from your link, but when i try to run it wants me to choose the program which it shoould run with....i realy have no clue about linux.
Maverick0190
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bolle1961 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 pm

desktop : Debian 7 GNOME
EeePC900 : Debian 7 Lxde / Point Linux
EeePC1215 : Windows 7 / Debian 7 Lxde

Referral links:
Dropbox
Copy.com
Bolle1961
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Maverick0190 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:07 pm

I tried that link and WinUsb told me the installation was successful, but when i select my usb in the boot menu nothing happens. the screen goes black for about a sec. and i am thrown back to the boot menu. Any solution? is something wrong with the usb or is it something else?
Maverick0190
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wayne128 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Maverick0190 wrote:I realy need like a nooby guide! i downloaded the unetbootin version from your link, but when i try to run it wants me to choose the program which it shoould run with....i realy have no clue about linux.

Oh..

after you download the file, right click on the file, it should popup a file manager, click properties,
click permissions, then tick the box that says "Allow this file to run as a program'.

Now, click that file , it should then run as a program and give you the unetbootin graphic interface.

below are using command lines from terminal, very details and lengthy, continue only if you are intestest as a learning experience

Linux is more difficult to use, that is quite true because you might have been too familiar with just clicking on Windows.

Here, I would do a very detailed step by step, as an example for you to learn. And I would do that from beginning.

You must use terminal. You also need to know what is root, because most program, including unetbootin, would run only as root.

All you need is follow.. and thus you should know at least how to do it next time for another program....

1. run Linux os
2. open a terminal, usually you will be just a user, thus you will be in a $ prompt, like that:
Code: Select all
wayne@debian:~$

3. next, get into root, I am using debian so I su to root, for you , you are using Linuxmint , I think you get into root using sudo su, follow by your password, or something like sudo -i, or other method, I cannot remember.
when you are in root, you get a # prompt, like that:
wayne@debian:~$ su
Password:
root@debian:/home/wayne#

4. now to make it more learning for you, you will create a new directory, with a name that is unique, so you will not be confused later. Let me use 'first' as the name of directory, use whatever name you wish, but do not use special characters.

root@debian:/home/wayne# mkdir first
root@debian:/home/wayne#

5. cd to that new directory
root@debian:/home/wayne# cd first
root@debian:/home/wayne/first#

6. now you are in that directory, and it has nothing inside, so no confusion,
you use a simple command ls, or 'list' to display what is inside, it has nothing..
root@debian:/home/wayne/first# ls

7. now you are going to download the unetbootin file.. to do, use a wget command
and copy the link address , or simply copy from my command, take note that the last name in this command is 'download' which means the filename will be 'download' you will see it later.

root@debian:/home/wayne/first# wget -c http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/UNetbootin/471/unetbootin-linux-471/download

hit enter key it will download from the link and terminal will show you this

--2013-09-17 01:01:45-- http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboo ... 1/download
Resolving sourceforge.net (sourceforge.net)... 216.34.181.60
Connecting to sourceforge.net (sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.60|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... irror=nchc [following]
--2013-09-17 01:01:46-- http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... irror=nchc
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)... 216.34.181.59
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.59|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ ... -linux-471 [following]
--2013-09-17 01:01:46-- http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ ... -linux-471
Resolving nchc.dl.sourceforge.net (nchc.dl.sourceforge.net)... 211.79.60.17, 2001:e10:ffff:1f02::17
Connecting to nchc.dl.sourceforge.net (nchc.dl.sourceforge.net)|211.79.60.17|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 4228588 (4.0M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘download’

100%[======================================>] 4,228,588 832KB/s in 5.2s

2013-09-17 01:01:52 (798 KB/s) - ‘download’ saved [4228588/4228588]

8. now that you have downloaded, let's see what is inside the directory, with the command ls

root@debian:/home/wayne/first# ls
download

so you see the new file name 'download'

9. now, you need to make it executable, using this command chmod +x filename like this:

root@debian:/home/wayne/first# chmod +x download

10. now it is excutable, and to run it from root, you use a very simple command ./filename, like this
root@debian:/home/wayne/first# ./download

terminal display some error, ignore it, you should have unetbootin popup in GUI form.
Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

do what was described in my earlier post to format usb flash with ntfs ( using gparted or some other you are familiar with), input Win7 iso file to unetbootin, etc and it should make for you a bootable win7 usb flash.

have fun learning linux.. it takes a while to break the ice.
wayne128
Level 9
Level 9

Return to KDE