[Solved]Question about Linux Mint 4.0 KDE package management

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[Solved]Question about Linux Mint 4.0 KDE package management

Postby paulsiu on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:45 am

Hi,

I am not new to Linux but is new to Linux Mint. I installed Linux Mint 4.0 KDE recently and have been confused over the package management. I was going to setup the following:

* Kernel source, header, and gcc
* Latex
* Beamer

There appears to be two separate package managers. The first is Mint Install, which appears to take me to a web site where I found the package build-essential after some digging. Next is a package manager call Adept. In either case, I was unable to find the usual packages like Latex or Beamer. I did eventually install the package using apt-get.

I don't understand, is both Linux Mint install and Adept supposed to be a limited repository? I can't for example even find firefox 3 on it. If I am looking for a package, am I suppose to search Linux Mint Install first, then Adept, and then synaptics?

Paul
Last edited by paulsiu on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulsiu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Question about Linux Mint 4.0 KDE package management

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 am

You are using Daryna so the only firefox 3 you can get is a early beta.
It's not limited you just have an old release and the packages aren't as important as hardy/Elyssa.
I don't think ubuntu will backport firefox 3 either.
Also Linux Mint is suppose to be similar to CNR from Linspire.
Adept is a kde package manager and synaptic is required by mintUpdate to work.
All you have to do is do a search to find build-essentials.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby roadrash on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:13 pm

You can also use synaptic which is the most popular package manager & my personal choice. Mint already has it installed but you cant see it because there is no icon for it in the desktop menus. But if you open a terminal and type sudo synaptic it should run. I would suggest while you have synaptic running, you do a search for it and choose to re-install it which will then put an icon in the menu to make it easier the next time you want it.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:27 pm

roadrash wrote:You can also use synaptic which is the most popular package manager & my personal choice. Mint already has it installed but you cant see it because there is no icon for it in the desktop menus. But if you open a terminal and type sudo synaptic it should run. I would suggest while you have synaptic running, you do a search for it and choose to re-install it which will then put an icon in the menu to make it easier the next time you want it.

Any time you run an application as root you need to run it as gksu or kdesu.
Doing it with sudo is never recommended.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby paulsiu on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks, I have been doing the following

1. First search through the Linux Mint Software Portal. This seems to collect some proprietary packages like Skype.
2. Use Adept, the KDE package manager.
3. Finally use synaptics to get the rest.

So far I have managed to install skype, google earth, build-essential, latex, and beamer. I cannot find firefox 3, so I probably need to compile my own or stay in version 2.0.
paulsiu
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE