not able to download iso

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

not able to download iso

Postby houndhen on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:59 pm

I have tried several times and different mirrors to download Mint 5 kde ce. I can get it started but it quits after a while.

I have not been successful at all with using Ktorrent to download. I right-click on the torrent file that downnloads and tell it to open with ktorrent. It does but the download is stalled and never starts. Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing this?

BTW. I am trying the xfce version as I write this and it seems to download correctly. Had rather have the kde version.

Thanks,
Harold
Thanks,
Harold
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Alabama

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: not able to download iso

Postby rivenought on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I have been having the same problem with the KDE torrent for past few days. I posted the problem in the KDE thread, but no one has commented on fixing the torrent yet. All the other torrents work since I am seeding them. Maybe someone can check on that torrent and get it cranked up.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:34 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby Valdeck on Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 am

your not the only one with this issue. I am in the same kind of boat. I could not get the torrent to work at all for me but I can get the downloads to work but the problem is that once I get them they iso is either empty or just not a complete file and when I burn it the thing will not boot up into the install mode.

anyone got any ideas?

EDIT

I was able to get a download from one of the mirrors to work but now it says failure to boot, error 20 any ideas?
Valdeck
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:12 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby ronnoc on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Valdeck wrote:your not the only one with this issue. I am in the same kind of boat. I could not get the torrent to work at all for me but I can get the downloads to work but the problem is that once I get them they iso is either empty or just not a complete file and when I burn it the thing will not boot up into the install mode.

anyone got any ideas?

EDIT

I was able to get a download from one of the mirrors to work but now it says failure to boot, error 20 any ideas?


Did you check the md5 checksum on your .iso prior to installing?
Image
User avatar
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby ronnoc on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Valdeck wrote:your not the only one with this issue. I am in the same kind of boat. I could not get the torrent to work at all for me but I can get the downloads to work but the problem is that once I get them they iso is either empty or just not a complete file and when I burn it the thing will not boot up into the install mode.

anyone got any ideas?

EDIT

I was able to get a download from one of the mirrors to work but now it says failure to boot, error 20 any ideas?


I will try to re-seed the .torrent tonight maybe it can pick back up then. I tried too (as this should be much faster than an ftp download for a file this size) but as is the case with all torrents it relies on people to seed it for it to work. And I did notice that the torrent link on the LM download page is non seeded/dead. So we can fix this.
Image
User avatar
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby houndhen on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:00 pm

While on the Linux Mint Torrents page I clicked on LinuxMint-5-KDE.torrent and got an error message that said:Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at files.lintelligence.de.

You may not have had time to fix the problem. I see your post was at 1:03 pm.
Thanks,
Harold
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: not able to download iso

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:12 pm

Currently the repositories and the links to the torrents are down.
I have DHT enabled and was seeding up to 230kB/s will be again later tonight.
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: not able to download iso

Postby ronnoc on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:17 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:Currently the repositories and the links to the torrents are down.
I have DHT enabled and was seeding up to 230kB/s will be again later tonight.


Right now it is well seeded and healthy at LinuxTracker.com :)
Image
User avatar
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:05 pm

ronnoc wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:Currently the repositories and the links to the torrents are down.
I have DHT enabled and was seeding up to 230kB/s will be again later tonight.


Right now it is well seeded and healthy at LinuxTracker.com :)

Should be working know.
I assume you meant linuxtracker.org not .com.
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... cf71df04d0
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: not able to download iso

Postby houndhen on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:39 pm

I can get as far as getting ktorrent loaded with the file to be downloaded but it still is 'stalled'. No action whatsoever. If I am the only one with this problem then it must be something I am doing or not doing. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Harold
Thanks,
Harold
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: not able to download iso

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:15 pm

houndhen wrote:I can get as far as getting ktorrent loaded with the file to be downloaded but it still is 'stalled'. No action whatsoever. If I am the only one with this problem then it must be something I am doing or not doing. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Harold

For some reason, for me it says in utorrent not authorized to use this tracker.
I enable DHT and Peer Exchange and got seeds and peers to upload.
I am not uploading right now because I'm working on somethings.
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: not able to download iso

Postby houndhen on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:04 pm

I decided to try another computer with Windows XP and bittorrent. I even clicked on force start but it is doing nothing. No action whatsoever.

1st edit
I have decided to try again with just a straight download. I got to 71% once before it quit on me.
I was able to download the xfce version but prefer kde.

Harold
Thanks,
Harold
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: not able to download iso

Postby ronnoc on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:42 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:I assume you meant linuxtracker.org not .com.
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... cf71df04d0


Yes and thank you for the correction and link.
Image
User avatar
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby ronnoc on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:48 pm

houndhen wrote:I decided to try another computer with Windows XP and bittorrent. I even clicked on force start but it is doing nothing. No action whatsoever.

1st edit
I have decided to try again with just a straight download. I got to 71% once before it quit on me.
I was able to download the xfce version but prefer kde.

Harold


Use a torrent program and the link posted above. I downloaded the .iso at an average of around 700kbs. Much faster anyways. Right now there are 10 seeders up.
Image
User avatar
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby houndhen on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:55 am

houndhen wrote:I decided to try another computer with Windows XP and bittorrent. I even clicked on force start but it is doing nothing. No action whatsoever.

1st edit
I have decided to try again with just a straight download. I got to 71% once before it quit on me.
I was able to download the xfce version but prefer kde.

Harold

Power went off so that failed.

ronnoc wrote:Use a torrent program and the link posted above. I downloaded the .iso at an average of around 700kbs. Much faster anyways. Right now there are 10 seeders up.

I tried to copy and past the link above into ktorrent but I get an error:
An error occurred while loading the torrent. The torrent is probably corrupt or is not a torrent file.

I am not that versed in the intricacies ktorrent. I must be doing something wrong or don't understand what I need to do. I am copying the link and with ktorrent open I click on File, paste torrent url. This is when I get the error.
Thanks,
Harold
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: not able to download iso

Postby ronnoc on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:47 pm

houndhen wrote:I am not that versed in the intricacies ktorrent. I must be doing something wrong or don't understand what I need to do. I am copying the link and with ktorrent open I click on File, paste torrent url. This is when I get the error.


I'm not sure but I just tried the link and it worked fine. If it is not working for you go to LinuxTracker.org directly. You will find LinuxMint-5-KDE-CE.torrent right on the front page about 1/4 way down in the main 'Last Upload' window. Also note you have to register for the site in order to download .torrents. XFCE CE Edition is listed there as well.

If you are new to torrents altogether I would recommend the Wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol) to start. KTorrent is good torrent client (I use it exclusively - Not to big but still very flexible) but there is no documentation provided.

Also note (and as a way to get this thread back on topic) the torrent links on this website may be working again as well as the direct download links. So really there should be no problems getting this .iso.

Good luck.
Image
User avatar
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 am

Re: not able to download iso

Postby houndhen on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:09 pm

ronnoc wrote:I'm not sure but I just tried the link and it worked fine. If it is not working for you go to LinuxTracker.org directly. You will find LinuxMint-5-KDE-CE.torrent right on the front page about 1/4 way down in the main 'Last Upload' window. Also note you have to register for the site in order to download .torrents. XFCE CE Edition is listed there as well.

Also note (and as a way to get this thread back on topic) the torrent links on this website may be working again as well as the direct download links. So really there should be no problems getting this .iso.

Good luck.


Thanks for you advice and input, ronnoc. I am back to trying a direct download using flashgot. I am currently at 29% after a couple of hours. Don't know why I am having so much problems with the torrent download. Lack of knowledge, most likely. :?

Harold
Thanks,
Harold
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Location: Alabama

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to KDE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest