tracker or other desktop search tool [newbie...]

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

tracker or other desktop search tool [newbie...]

Postby LordJeremias on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi all. just made the switch from linux mint 5 gnome to mint 5 kde CE. Could you please help me out and explain what is the replacement for the tracker utilite for index and search files on my desktop since i can't find it?
if it is not available coul you point me out to a similar one you think is good?
thank you for your attention and help,
lj
LordJeremias
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: tracker or other desktop search tool [newbie...]

Postby ronnoc on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 pm

lj -
Welcome to Mint! I don't know how much this might help because as I am learning as a noOb myself and there tends to be a bazillion different ways to do the same thing on Linux...What I do is launch Krusader from <Tasty Menu><Utilities><Krusader>. On the top level menu under 'Tools' you will have both a Locate (Indexed Linux search) and Search (Same as Windows Search command but easier to use) function.

For me one of the hardest things about learning Linux is learning where everything is. As an aside, because it WILL come into play a lot, you can do a heck of a lot of things from Krusader, including setting folder and file permissions, as well as the ability to do these anything as the root user if needed. I never want to be a command line expert myself, and this tool is invaluable.

Good luck.
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Return to KDE