system update kills wifi

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

system update kills wifi

Postby helios on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:40 am

Not seeing this problem reported elsewhere in the forums. fresh install of kde mint 5, I can get wifi up in a couple clicks. Once I update the system, network manager reports that there are no wireless services/signals. Manually add the ssid, it finds it but shows it as having no signal. I try to connect to it and it just dumps saying it cannot connect. I've reproduced this on three machines now and since there is no mintwifi.py, I can't post any output from that command.

I only have wifi, there is no option for me to "plug in".

helios
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: system update kills wifi

Postby Boo on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:12 am

I would use mint update at level 3 first then later at level 5.
be careful of kernel updates and related updates like libs.
oh and watch out for the KDE 3.5.10 update that came out recently. extra KDE packages will be installed if you are not careful or maybe even if you are. any network extras maybe also cause problems.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Re: system update kills wifi

Postby bobpur on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:31 pm

I have the same problem with a Ubuntu v7.10 to v8.04 upgrade. Wireless with v7.10 then after the upgrade and a reboot... nothing.

As I am on the road, I guess I'll have to wait 'til I get home to "plug in" and get the wireless re-installed.

Thank goodness for dualbooting. Wireless still works in Windows. Also, it's a spare laptop and this other one is a WinXP and LinuxMint 5 dualbooter.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Return to KDE