Installing proprietary nVidia drivers forces 800x600 size

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing proprietary nVidia drivers forces 800x600 size

Postby Cubby on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:37 am

Hi,

I had this same problem with KDE CE Mint Darnya when installing the nVidia proprietary drivers that I am now having problems with in KDE Elyssa. When as root I let the necessary drivers be downloaded and installed for my geforce 8500 card, upon reboot, the log-in screen is in huge layout size, and fuzzy small icons. Logging in the icons and board layout is huge, and when I go to Monitor & Display, I see the resolution is locked at 800x600, and the slider bar won't budge. The only reason I wanted to try out this nVidia proprietary driver in KDE Elyssa, is that I noticed when I installed it when using Mint Gnome Elyssa, that the slight flicker upon logging in went away, so I thought I'd try it out and see as I have this flicker in KDE Elyssa. Right now, in Monitor & Display, it says nVidia GForce 8 series.

I notice some others have this problem, but I don't understand the work around for this. Should I just ignore downloading the proprietary driver? This driver also works with another distro I use that has the KDE desktop, so I'm not sure what to do.

Regards,
Lisa
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing proprietary nVidia drivers forces 800x600 size

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:38 am

First off you may reinstall the drivers with the application you did not use - i. e. if you used the restricted tool use Envy and the other way round
You may be helped by
Code: Select all
gksu displayconfig-gtk

If you installed with Envy you have nvidia settings
Code: Select all
gksu nvidia-settings

You should not have to check xorg.conf any more. It's almost void of settings for video now
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to KDE