Installing virtualbox-ose breaks Atheros restricted drivers

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing virtualbox-ose breaks Atheros restricted drivers

Postby lingenfr on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:42 pm

A few days ago I set up my laptop (Atheros 5212/5213) with LM KDE and it worked great. It came with kernel 24-19 and the updater brought it to 24-21. Currently there are some kernel headers, etc being held back. I installed the linux mint package of virtualbox-ose and all was well. It would not run as it didn't have all of the required packages (headers, etc). Pretty poor packaging, but oh well. I installed vitualbox-ose (something) generic as the virtualbox error message recommended. All seemed to go well, but after the install, the 24-21 kernel will no longer load the restricted drivers for the Atheros wifi, hence no network and it also seems to have broken the DVD drive as it is throwing off errors and won't mount. Booting to the 24-19 kernel my wifi and DVD work fine. Of course virtualbox doesn't work because the headers, etc are not installed. I am not going to try it as I don't want to be left with no network at all. Is this a known problem? It certainly wasn't a problem in Kubuntu Hardy, so I assume it is a packaging/repository problem. Is there any way to get around this? I don't have to run the latest kernel, but I do need virtualbox to run XPH.
lingenfr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing virtualbox-ose breaks Atheros restricted drivers

Postby lingenfr on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Gosh. If this is the way the community support works, I expect my time as a mint user will be short. To be clear, I had this working under Kubuntu Hardy using the virtualbox packages (not ose) so this problem is either ose unique or a problem with the mint package. The fact that the mint package does not include the dependencies necessary to run virtualbox is definitely a problem with the mint package.
lingenfr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:00 pm

virtualbox-ose comes from ubuntu we don't package that. http://packages.linuxmint.com/
Also I don't use virtualbox so I can't help.
Might need to wait a few days, or ask the same question on ubuntus, forums to get an answer.
Almost everything that works in ubuntu works in Linux Mint.

Is their a virtualbox-ose restricted modules?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby lingenfr on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:28 pm

I guess I don't understand, but I used mintinstall to search for virtualbox and got this:

http://www.linuxmint.com/software/?sec= ... &release=3

I guess I thought that was a mint package. Last I knew the ose package didn't support USB, so if I am using ubuntu repos anyway, I might as well add the one for the full version of virtualbox and see if I can get it working. Yes, installing the restricted modules package seemed to be what hosed my wifi. I've uninstalled/purged all of the virtualbox stuff, uninstalled and reinstalled the 2.6.24-21 kernel, but it is still hosed.
lingenfr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lingenfr on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:52 pm

I purged everything that had been installed previously relative to vb. The I added the repository for the full virtualbox and installed it and the vb restricted drivers (under kernel 24-19). I was able to get it set up and working. I also installed dkms. Then I decided I might as well try and install 24-21. I made sure to include the restricted drivers, etc. Now I am back to 24-21 with virtualbox working fine with USB, etc. Interesting that dkms did not recompile the vbox driver when I upgraded. I still had to go back and run setup. Maybe some day. Thanks.
lingenfr
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE