Compiz

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Compiz

Postby big_dog1968 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:46 am

I like a lot about the new Mint 6 KDE, but I have a problem. For some reason, desk top effects are slower on KDE than Gnome. I posted about this on the bug thread thinking there was a problem with Compiz, but I have since tried using KDE's effects, and turned off Compiz and am getting the same slowness.
big_dog1968 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm
There is a noticeable delay when resizing windows? On this same PC, I run Compiz in Mint Gnome, and with the same settings, it is faster and smother. I have a year old quad core system (Core2 quad 6600), with a pretty recent ATI card (HD3850), and 2 gigs of memory. I would think I had the ability to run KDE 4.2 with everything on and still have a robust system.

Is there anything that can be done to make desktop effects work smoothly on KDE 4. My system is not ancient by any stretch and should be able to handle KDE 4, I would think. I had been running the 64 bit edition of main, so maybe that helped, but I have run the regular mMint main before and had no problems. I like most of the KDE apps over their Gnome counterparts, so I thought, why not switch to KDE. I figured they would run better that way. Any suggestions on improving performance while still allowing desktop effects (love wobbly windows) would be appreciated. Thanks.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz

Postby big_dog1968 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:47 am

I installed Kubuntu 64 and Kubuntu 386, and Compiz works the same as with Mint Main. If Compiz works well in Kubuntu, and Mint Main, shouldn't it work well in Mint KDE?
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Boo on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:59 pm

I noticed the slowness when there are apps open on a desktop.
as you rotate the cube it is fast for the desktops with no apps and slow with the one that does.
maybe it is the number of desktops, the default was 2 and i made it 4.
I'm wondering what else i added that could be slowing it down, or is it just a config i did.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby big_dog1968 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Are you sure you made it 4? I just checked in system settings, and it says there are two desk tops. I just did a clean install today to see if maybe that was the problem. I really like KDE. If we had a 64 bit version, it would be a complete no brain'er, but even as it is, I am very close to switching my preference to KDE. I love the KDE interface and I love the apps, especially K3B and Digikam.

Amarok 2 used to be a favourite, but the latest version is missing a great feature from the previous Amarok - a properly working smart playlist, where you can set criteria, and have it put everything in that fits. It says it does this, but you have to use a percentage slider, which even when you say 100% of a single parameter, it puts in things you didn't ask for and leaves out many of what you did. This feature is not working, unless there is some sort of trick to it they are keeping secret. I tried their forum and the reasponse was disappointing (very non Minty).

Will it mess up Mint KDE switch back to Amarok 1.4? I noticed it wants to install a bunch of KDE 3.5 files, so I haven't done it yet for fear of trashing or slowing down my system.

Thanks for taking time to respond to both my posts, I know you are busy with your excellent work on KDE Mint.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dafi on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:38 am

@Amarok:
I removed amarok2 yesterday and installed amarok again.
(I had only the big play buttons in my amarok2 window and nothing else so i decided to remove it and then i could not find amarok-kde4 :shock: so installed amarok, don't now where my fault was/is, will give it another try when mint6 final comes)
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE