[KDE 3.5.x - Darnya & Elyssa] - Dell SmartCard Keyboard

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[KDE 3.5.x - Darnya & Elyssa] - Dell SmartCard Keyboard

Postby rec9140 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:56 am

Any one used a Dell SmartCard reader (this is not an SD/MMC etc. reader) HU174
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... b=SpecsTab
keyboard to be used as part of the login/lougout etc. for Darnya or Elyssa systems?

Would like to require a smartcard so that KDM would require the card to validate the login.

I've looked at this, so it appears that:

ibccid pcscd coolkey

Are needed, per:

http://www.hrgeeks.com/2008/11/21/using ... d-firefox/

Not interested in the firecrud integration as I don't use it.

I am looking to secure login(s) so that no card, no access when at a KDM prompt, CLI login would be a plus.

Any pointers for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [KDE 3.5.x - Darnya & Elyssa] - Dell SmartCard Keyboard

Postby Boo on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:29 am

I have seen devices like this from IBM and Sun and other security places.

I would like this or some biometric authentication device.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Fred on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:04 am

rec9140 wrote:
Would like to require a smartcard so that KDM would require the card to validate the login.

I find it difficult to understand how this would enhance securiety. All this would do would be to prevent someone that knew the password from logging into the operating system in the normal way without the card. It would not prevent access to the OS by crashing the system to a root/busybox prompt on boot. It would also not prevent data on the system from being accessed by means other than the installed OS.

The only way to protect data, that I know of, when someone has physical access to the equipment is through cryptography.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby rec9140 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 am

Boo wrote:I have seen devices like this from IBM and Sun and other security places.

I would like this or some biometric authentication device.

Yes, this is a slot that takes what looks like a credit card, you may have even seen it on some credit cards.... it looks similar to sim card contacts if your familar with GSM or a RUIM card on CDMA phone tech.

The idea is a two step process for login, user/pass and the smartcard token be it numbers or a phrase etc.. Some VPN's use this like Csico's and Paypal even now offers a RSA token fob.

appears you need PAM and the other stuff I mentioned to glue this all together, but nothing seems to be concrete about doing it with the Dell keyboard except on winvirus.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Boo on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:22 pm

you could look at Red Hat enterprise Linux 3 + ( or centos) since they mention it as a supported OS.
On the PAM side it may be like the biometric finger print reader changes. IBM laptops have these and work with linux so checkout IBM and linux.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rec9140 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Boo wrote:you could look at Red Hat enterprise Linux 3 + ( or centos) since they mention it as a supported OS.
On the PAM side it may be like the biometric finger print reader changes. IBM laptops have these and work with linux so checkout IBM and linux.

Boo

Yeah, the CD I have with the keyboards has the RHEL stuff, but RH is banned after they spouted their mouth off about desktop linux. RH has continued to show they don't get it. I was a big RH supporter, then they canned their desktop support, made a fuss similar to fireturd about their precious red fedora. I don't tolerate that crap. IP schmIPee. Now they want to maybe look at the desktop again. Them and Novel made deals with the anti-christ as far as I am concerned and I want nothing to do with them. I have got two old RHEL and some CentOS stuff, but any thing I do now will probably be Ubuntu server, although I am not really a fan since they can't just step away from gnome and move to KDE 3.5.10 for the WM, which is why I use KMint. Plus Debian based systems just work better than the BS I've endured with RPM's.

If I had my way right now.. the entire office would be wiped of win and moved to KMint Elyssa and run a VM for the one win program I need. I am sick and tired of the grief from the win side support wise (virus etc..).

I will have to play some as it appears that there is stuff in the repos for this, just a matter of playing. I was hoping maybe somebody had already done this and I could follow their steps. If I can get the SC to work, no more time clocks for some, and robust security on the desktop.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Return to KDE