Synaptic not displaying all packages

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Synaptic not displaying all packages

Postby akshunj on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:19 pm

This may not be related to KDE, but that's what I'm using. I will add repositories to APT, but their packages won't show up in Synaptic. I can apt-get them, but nothing in Synaptic. Anybody ever heard of this?

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Synaptic not displaying all packages

Postby grimdestripador on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:08 am

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:03 am

akshunj,

I am assuming you did in-fact get the repos in the sources.list since you can do an < apt-get update > and call them from the CLI with < apt-get install >. If so, this is rather odd. Try doing a < dpkg --configure -a >, then go to synaptic and refreshing the package list. If the packages are still not there look in the sources.list file with an editor and see if the repos in question are still there and not commented out. If everything looks ok there I would do an < apt-get --purge remove synaptic >, then reinstall with < apt-get -u install synaptic > Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you without digging a lot deeper.

EDIT: You know of course, you must do these commands with sudo or as root.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 am

akshunj,

I had another thought, I know, they are rare. :-)

Did you check synaptic to make sure all the settings were appropriate? Particularly settings having to do with the repos displayed/used and any display filters you might be using.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby akshunj on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a linux noob, so I know my way around APT and the command-line. The repositories are added properly as I can apt-get everything from them from the command-line. They just don't "show" in Synaptic. For example, I added the Virtualbox repository, but it won't show Virtualbox 2.2 (the newest) in Synaptic. It will show only the old one available through the Ubuntu repositories. But when I did, "sudo apt-get install virtualbox2.2", it installed properly. Even crazier is AFTER the install, Synaptic won't show that I have Virtualbox 2.2 installed! It still shows that the old version is available for install...

This is just an annoyance, but I'm pissed that I can't figure it out. Any other suggestions? And yes, I fiddled with Synaptics filters, to no avail...

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Boo on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:49 pm

did you add the key for the repo if it has one?
does it repo show up in the synaptic source/repo filter?
I wounder if a hold has been put on those packages (or repo) somehow.

have you tried aptitude? does it show the 2.2 version.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby akshunj on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Boo wrote:did you add the key for the repo if it has one?
does it repo show up in the synaptic source/repo filter?
I wounder if a hold has been put on those packages (or repo) somehow.

have you tried aptitude? does it show the 2.2 version.

Boo

Oddly enough, it shows up in Synaptic now. Weird. Not sure what I did...
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Woodstock69 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Here's a tricky one for you in a similar vain.

I'm using LM6KDE (on the whole really good, but has plenty of bugs/annoyances, KDE4 being one of them, but for now I'll stick to the topic).

Background: I'm updating my home PC which doesn't have an Internet connection available, so I update my work laptop and create an update CD with APTonCD (why does Synaptic insist on only allowing you to add packages from a CD or HTTP/FTP URL? I have a directory full of packages but Synaptic won't allow me to reference it. An ISO image/ folder repo capability would be great. But I digress...). I can't use the restore function with APTonCD but I can tell Synaptic to use the CD as a repo.

So after doing a few package installs I realise that the APT cache is being cleared and not all the packages I want to install on the home PC are available for APTonCD to create on the CD. I changed a Synaptic option to not remove packages from the APT cache, then proceed to download again all the packages I've installed on the laptop already with the "Download Only" option checked in Synaptic. Works great. The packages start showing up in the cache again. Yes, most of the packages are not needed, but this is the only way I can be sure my dependencies, if any, will be fulfilled.

The Issue: What happens next could be a bug, so see if you can replicate it also (if you want to help). Select several packages to reinstall (but we will only download them remember). Synaptic goes through its thing and notifies me that several packages cannot be authenticated, that's fine, the next step should start downloading the packages if all is ok.

However, some packages cannot be found for some reason on my laptop (they're installed, and listed in Synaptic, but Synaptic cannot find them in the repo's). This generates an error that the "package is unavailable and may need to be manually fixed", then you get returned to the Synaptic package list, but nothing shows up in the list! You can click on any section including "all" and nothings there.

The only way to get the list back is to hit the "reload" button to update the package list. You can then cancel the reload as soon as the dialog box appears and the packages all magically reappear. BTW: if you had any packages marked, they will all be unmarked now as well (this is consider a bug also)....

If this is a bug (as it appears) how and where do I file a bug report?

There has to be an easier way to update an offline PC. YUM and YUMEX (for RPM's) let me point to a directory, select what I want and install with dependency checks automatically. Something similar for deb's would be great. Maybe I don't know how to use Synaptic/Aptitude/Adept/Dpkg as well as I think, but that's my experience anyway.
Do not wait, the time will never be "just right".
Start where you stand, and work with what-ever tools
you may have at your command, and better tools will
be found as you go along. -- Napoleon Hill
Woodstock69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby milky2313 on Fri May 08, 2009 6:12 pm

i can confirm this as well. I am trying to use virtualbox repositories and they do not show up in synaptic. the repository is in sources.list and the key is installed properly. I'm not sure what the problem may be
milky2313
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to KDE