Install KDE on Gnome Install - Felicia

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Install KDE on Gnome Install - Felicia

Postby WildSioux on Tue May 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Looks awesome wlake with that green mint background! What theme do you have installed? I don't have compiz installed but I just changed the "Style" to Cleanlooks, the icons to Oxygen, and the window decorations to Plastik in the KDE System Settings. I haven't found a way yet to install new window decorations without having to install compiz.

Also, did you uninstall any Gnome stuff? I have left that stuff on for the moment. But am wondering what is safe to remove?
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby wlake on Tue May 12, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey WildSioux,
I have the desktop theme as Tragedy, Style Oxygen; Colors Peace; Windows Ozone and Icons LinuxMint. I haven't as yet uninstalled any Gnome stuff. The only question I have (besides not knowing what exactly to remove) is whether I want to keep up with Gnome and KDE updates since I rarely switch to Gnome. I wonder though if some of the Gnome applications might come in handy
wlake
Level 2
Level 2

Postby warriorpoet on Sat May 16, 2009 12:22 am

Just finished setting up my Gloria desktop with KDE 4.2.3. I'm not changing it :D

Y'all will just have post a repository when you're done so's I can benefit later on...

Thanks for all the hard work, boo!
warriorpoet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby syred on Sat May 16, 2009 2:31 pm

I really hate KDE4 is there any way to install KDE3 in mint? : :?:
syred
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Sat May 16, 2009 3:30 pm

syred wrote:I really hate KDE4 is there any way to install KDE3 in mint? : :?:

You could probably do it yourself, starting off with the Gnome edition and adding the repositories from Debian or some such distro, a ubuntu derivative would be better. You might lose a lot of what makes Mint, Mint. In any case I would experiment on a virtual machine (like VirtualBox) first. Then after you get it right then duplicate it on a spare partition. But I'm not even sure it would work.
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby WildSioux on Sun May 17, 2009 2:16 pm

syred wrote:I really hate KDE4 is there any way to install KDE3 in mint? : :?:

I just found this regarding a KDE 3.5 only based on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04....
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1123590&highlight=kde+4.3

A semi-official remix of Jaunty Jackalope has been created with only KDE3.5 installed, for the convenience of users who are not quite ready to take the jump to KDE4.x.
With link to download cd iso.
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty

It may not be Mint...but you can easily change the themes, icons, and add all the codecs etc... Plus it is the latest ubuntu. Better get it while you still can before KDE 3.5 is discontinued for KDE 4. I may download it just to keep and try out the live cd just to see what all the fuss is about. I have tried before but have never liked the 3.5 (mainly because there were issues with the distro it was based off).

+++EDIT+++

Looking further at those pages, they have a KDE 3.5 repo based off of jaunty and intrepid (Mint 6) users. The instructions can be found here.
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html

So really, you can stick with your Mint 6-7 installation and just install KDE 3.5 along side the Gnome, and/or KDE 4 and have all 3!!!

And as an added benefit...support for the next Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) Mint 8.
Long-Term Support

* I notice that some users are wondering if KDE3.5 will be available in Karmic Koala [Kubuntu 9.10]. The answer is yes, barring any unforeseen unfixable issues.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby syred on Thu May 21, 2009 3:12 pm

ive already installed KDE3 on my machine, i posted a how-to in the howto's section to help others as well. But i'm still using Gnome for my everyday use, cause i used to it right now.. well.. its all a matter of time until you familiar with something :lol:
syred
Level 1
Level 1

Postby syred on Thu May 21, 2009 3:13 pm

The only problem is that, i don't see shortcuts in my gnome menu for all the goodies of kde, and there is a lot of useful stuff there, im very bored for this right now :P
syred
Level 1
Level 1

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:45 am

Hi all, I have been trying to install kde on gloria but although I get no errors when installing the kde, kubuntu_desktop packages, when I log into kde I cannot click on anything. Gnome-do (win-space) still works and any other apps i launch from it but the desktop is useless.

Any ideas?
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:41 am

well, I don't know why you have that problem, but kubuntu-desktop is an ubuntu package, the equivalent on mint will be mint-meta-kde when the kde CE is released, so you may want to wait for that, or even test it out.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby locutus on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 am

terdon wrote:Hi all, I have been trying to install kde on gloria but although I get no errors when installing the kde, kubuntu_desktop packages, when I log into kde I cannot click on anything. Gnome-do (win-space) still works and any other apps i launch from it but the desktop is useless.

Any ideas?

You'll also want to add the ppa-launchpad repositories to your sources.list . I would give them to you except I haven't looked for Gloria's repos yet.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Yeah I know, but still kubuntu_desktop will basically install a complete kde desktop right? I seem to have a working KDE installation its just that I can't use the desktop interface. Since I can load programs with gnome-do (including changing KDE-settings) I think it is a relatively minor problem. My guess is I just have to change a setting and it will work.

Anybody know what setting? :)
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby locutus on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:39 pm

terdon wrote:Yeah I know, but still kubuntu_desktop will basically install a complete kde desktop right? I seem to have a working KDE installation its just that I can't use the desktop interface. Since I can load programs with gnome-do (including changing KDE-settings) I think it is a relatively minor problem. My guess is I just have to change a setting and it will work.

Anybody know what setting? :)

Hmmm. Not so sure about the kubuntu-desktop thing. Back when Mint was at version 3.0, I asked on the forums about installing KDE, and the reply was "that it's not just a case of installing kubuntu-deskto. Mint is different."

I would hate for you to lose any customizations that you've made -- unless you haven't been able to make any yet -- but I would boot back into gnome, remove kubuntu-desktop and install the mint-meta package mentioned above. Maybe that meta package will install kubuntu-desktop all over again, I don't know. But even if it does, it would be installed in the right order and hopefully everything will work.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:56 pm

I haven't overwritten gnome. Its just that I am used to have various windows managers installed. Have done so from in Mandrake (old days), SuSe, OpenSuse, Red had, Fedora, Ubuntu AND last mint. So I dont see why I can't do it now...

I am compiling from source now to see if that works.

And yes, I do realise I should wait for the mint package but hey, I don't wanna! :D
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:54 pm

terdon wrote:I haven't overwritten gnome. Its just that I am used to have various windows managers installed. Have done so from in Mandrake (old days), SuSe, OpenSuse, Red had, Fedora, Ubuntu AND last mint. So I dont see why I can't do it now...

I am compiling from source now to see if that works.

And yes, I do realise I should wait for the mint package but hey, I don't wanna! :D

Well you can do it now, but the mint kde package is obviously going to be more appropriate than the kubuntu package. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing wrong with the mint kde package, so what's wrong with trying it out? It's available in the repos, it's just that it may be buggy. You can also install the different Desktop Environments and Window Managers directly, rather than through the meta packages. This would be the equivalent of through source, without the blocks it places on dependencies and upgrading.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Well, I tried installing "kde" instead of "kubuntu_desktop" but go the same result. But what's this about a mint kde package being available? What repos? What is it called? I haven't seen it.
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Ahh, sorry, my bad: it's in the gloria community repo which isn't enabled by default (but I enable all the repos anyway)
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Thanks, I'll try that.
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Well, I uninstalled all kde stuff and then installed the mint-meta-kde package. Same problem... I don't get it.
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Ok, so back to the original problem: no clicking on the desktop. I'm not really KDE person, but in Gnome there's a configuration for disabling "nautilus draws desktop" which also disables things like right-click and icons, perhaps there's something similar in KDE (plasma?) that you need to make sure is running.
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE