Install KDE on Gnome Install - Felicia

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Install KDE on Gnome Install - Felicia

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Ah, good point yes I'll check that. Thing is I'm not a KDE person either. I have been using WindowMaker for years and switched to GNOME when I switched to ubuntu a couple of years ago. I just figured it might be time to check out KDE again since everyone has been raving about it. Anyway, I'll fiddle around with the settings some more.

Thanks
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby terdon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Well, I tried changing the window manager around: Things did change but not really to the better. I had an unclickable black desktop instead of an unclickable blue desktop...

Oh well, I'll just wait for the new packages from mint. It's not that urgent anyway.

Thank you all for your help.

EDIT: Turns out the problems lay with nm-applet. Manually starting nm-applet gave me a clickable desktop. See here and here for more info. Everything runs OK now.
terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby theacerguy on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14 am

my way for most distros is sudo apt-get install amarok that will install amarok and the rest of kde...
tho i havent tried that on mint yet will do in a hour
theacerguy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby delro on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:06 pm

theacerguy wrote:my way for most distros is sudo apt-get install amarok that will install amarok and the rest of kde...
tho i havent tried that on mint yet will do in a hour

I tried that. Instead of Amarok I got Krita. KDE appeared as a choice on the login screen and it works. :D

Problem is, it's not the Mint version of KDE (looks like my old Kubuntu 8.10 install, my first real foray into Linux) so I removed it and tried to install the Mint Meta Package. I tried that but I'm having dependencies problems. It asks for a different packages, like kdelibs 5 and kio-sysinfo with version 4:4.2.4 or higher. My Synaptic says the latest version is 4:4.2.2. :?:

P.S. I added the Mint Community section to my repositories (and refreshed).
Image Compaq Presario C552US. OSx86 10.5.6/openSUSE 11.1/Haiku OS R1A1/Windows 7 Ultimate/Linux Mint 8
delro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm

deiro, please see the KDE RC bugs thread that details the solution for installing the kde edition.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby delro on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:16 am

Haven't seen that section of the forum yet. Thank you so much emorrp1! :D

In case anybody wanting a dual-WM environment might end up in this post: the link to the solution by Boo below is here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=28765&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Boo wrote:Mint KDE uses a ppa repo to install KDE 4.2.4, so you need to add it if you are upgrading.

# KDE 4.2.4
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
# KDE 4.3 RC2, amarok 2.1, koffice 2. use by itself to only update amarok and koffice.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

update and add the gpg keys.
# add kubuntu ppa GPG keys.
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 493B3065
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8AC93F7A

Cheers
Boo

EDIT: After that, I just fired up the GUI Package Manager and marked kde-mint-meta. :)
Image Compaq Presario C552US. OSx86 10.5.6/openSUSE 11.1/Haiku OS R1A1/Windows 7 Ultimate/Linux Mint 8
delro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:32 am

This topic is called
If you want to try KDE 4 then it's Gloria you should think of
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby delro on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Husse wrote:This topic is called
If you want to try KDE 4 then it's Gloria you should think of

I know it's a Felicia topic*, but emorrp referred to Gloria even before I made a query here so I assumed (wrongly?) that it could apply to Gloria too. Like how when you search for Mint-Gloria solutions but can't find any in the forum, so you look for it in the Jaunty forums. But even the Jaunty help-DB won't give you the answer yet you find a working solution in a Gutsy Gibbon or Debian forum**. Just saying. :wink:

Anyways, I have tried the mint-meta-kde with the proper repos. No problems except that there was a conflict between mint-artwork-gnome and mint-artwork-kde, meaning you still won't get the proper Mint theme in KDE.

* (Actually, I sort of intentionally looked over that detail. When I was searching it was the only entry that clearly said about installing KDE with an install that defaults to Gnome. But again, I looked over it thinking that this post can work for me, even if I've a newer release.)

** (To clarify, it's like having a Windows 7 RC problem, but there isn't much literature around 7 yet so you look in a Vista knowledge base since 7 is so much like Vista.)
delro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to KDE