Gloria KDE CE. When?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Gloria KDE CE. When?

Postby Dalamar on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 am

pardon my ignorance but where can I download it so that I can give feedback? I'm using Linux Mint 7 now because Kubuntu 9.04 has a problem with playing sound in Flash videos in my PC. I hope there's none in KDE CE. Thanks!
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Drake2k on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:16 am

I would like very much to try it out. I tinker like mad so I would be more then happy to find any inconsistancies and or bugs.

One thing I never liked about KDE 4.x is the network manager. Did I see someone say they were able to use gnome's network manager. Since I work in IT I like to be able to see hidden networks as well. Helps a lot for intrusion detection as well as being able to connect to networks that I simply don't remember the names for which reminds me of the main reason I didn't like KDE's network manager. It doesn't seem to auto-connect to networks when I tell it to. *shrug*

Keep up the good work guys. You're a hero.
Drake2k
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dafi on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:47 am

Dalamar wrote:pardon my ignorance but where can I download it so that I can give feedback? I'm using Linux Mint 7 now because Kubuntu 9.04 has a problem with playing sound in Flash videos in my PC. I hope there's none in KDE CE. Thanks!

It's only a "Testing" Version so you (and myself ;-)) can't download. We have to wait for a RC.
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dalamar on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:28 am

Oh, I see. Thank! I'll wait for the RC then.
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kage on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:23 pm

exploder wrote:I have completed testing the development iso, there were two small bugs but I approved the iso because I think the bugs are upstream issues. Clem will have to test out the iso and make the decision weather or not to release this to the public. :mrgreen:

Hi there dev team members,

Is there any news yet?

Please share it with us.

we're soooo curious.

kage
kage
Level 2
Level 2

Postby johonunu on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:32 pm

Me too ! I would like to try KDE edition :)
My Minty Laptop Configuration
Lenovo G550
4GB DDR3
Nvidia G105M
300 GB HDD
http://www.trifunovic.me/
johonunu
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Gnarly on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Why no pubic Beta? It seems to me that maybe this whole process wouldn't take so long if you had allot of people testing the bets out like most other distros.
This just takes so long this way. How does one get on the list to be able to test the betas?
Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dlkreations on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:19 pm

With Mint, there is no beta program; all testing is done internally first with Exploder, Clem and the others and when it reaches an almost complete state, it is released as an RC. Once the final bugs are ironed out then it reaches final. I actually prefer it this way; sometimes less is more sp to speak.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Boo on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I have uploaded the latest DEV ISO for testing.
It looks much better, mainly the GTK apps look KDE like.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby exploder on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:20 am

I am testing the DEV Release now. So far so good!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kage on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:59 pm

oke!
keepin' my fingers crossed!!!

thnx for the info guys!

greetz
kage
kage
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:30 pm

I found two minor issues, one is cosmetic and most people might not even notice it. The other issue is with a feature and I know it can be fixed. Your patience will be rewarded when this release goes public, this is one of the very best KDE 4 systems I have looked at!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby richyrich on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:41 pm

exploder,
I've been checking the mirrors two, three times a day ! :mrgreen:
And then you tease us with this! :evil: . . . you are an evil sadist! . . :lol:

Can't wait! Thanks for the update!

regards, Richard
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby tuxdude on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:11 am

Patience grasshoppers patience.
The rewards will be great in the end.
tuxdude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:01 am

richyrich, funny! Just trying to keep everyone informed on how things are progressing. :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Mr. B on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:07 pm

So exciting!! Can't wait to get my hands on it. :mrgreen:
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Rob Brill on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Mathius Quest wrote:So exciting!! Can't wait to get my hands on it. :mrgreen:

Yep! Me too.

I can stand Gnome but i am a KDE fan and no matter if it still can't be so stable as we want it to be.
The KDE development team are doing pretty good and we always have an option to upgrade
to a new version of it with PPA - Open.

As soon as KDE CE 7 Gloria is released i assume it could be released as a definitive version (stable-Final)
Why? Just a few usual bugs (KDE) or nothing is going to change from one RC1 release to the Stable One.
I will not complain about lack of testing. They did it (Exploder, Clem, Husse or any one else).
A New ISO will be generate or perhaps the ISO remains the same. Save us time, save us no more delay.

If someone disagree, alerting for the quality control of the product...testing, feedback and so on - OK
Different hardware behavior and plus a small list of possible bugs that didn't appear on that testing period - OK

OK - It's up to Linux Mint Team . They have their own rules of conducting the releases.

For Gnome Main Edition i will continue running Mint 7 x64 Gloria Edition (excellent).
I will erase from my hard drive Mint Gnome Main Edition 32 bit 7 Gloria after putting my hands on KDE CE 7 "Gloria"
Mint KDE CE 6 Felicia has vanished in the haze a month ago for me. Outdated.

Rgds
Roberto :?: :mrgreen:
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby brute on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:33 am

Will there be an upgrade notice when RC1 is released? Or will it have to be a full install?

Also, with KDE4.3 being released, will this be in the final version? I am using version 6 and to be honest have had zero problems, so if 7 is as great, Then I to am anticipating its release date. I know everyone is asking, but since the testing phase is about over, are we any closer to a date yet? Thanks....and kepp up the great work!!!! I am luvin' it!
brute
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Go2doug on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:19 am

brute wrote:Will there be an upgrade notice when RC1 is released? Or will it have to be a full install?

Also, with KDE4.3 being released, will this be in the final version? I am using version 6 and to be honest have had zero problems, so if 7 is as great, Then I to am anticipating its release date. I know everyone is asking, but since the testing phase is about over, are we any closer to a date yet? Thanks....and kepp up the great work!!!! I am luvin' it!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember any recent versions of Mint being released as "Release Candidates". If they were, maybe they were only publicly available for a few days before the final ISO was available, which is why I missed the RCs.

Earlier in this thread Boo stated that Mint 7 KDE would be released with KDE v4.2.4. However, one would hope that it would be relatively painless to upgrade Mint from 4.2.4 to KDE 4.3 when the time comes. Hopefully it will be as easy as enabling a certain repository in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I used Mint 6 KDE (with KDE version 4.2.2) and it's still missing a lot of the functionality that made KDE 3.5.10 so fantastic. If KDE 4.2.4/4.3 still haven't hit the "sweet spot" yet, I'm going to make a list of features and capabilities that were present in KDE 3.5.10 but are missing from KDE 4.x, and send this list to the KDE developers and hope for the best. Because at this point in time, there is no way I'm leaving Mint 5 KDE (3.5.10) and PCLinuxOS 2009 (also KDE 3.5.10) for any KDE 4 distribution.
Go2doug
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mdshaver on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 am

What package manager will be used? I briefly tried Kubuntu 9.04 and did not like KPackageKit at all. Will you consider using Synaptic or Adept?
mdshaver
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE