Gloria KDE CE. When?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Gloria KDE CE. When?

Postby dlkreations on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Go2doug wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember any recent versions of Mint being released as "Release Candidates". If they were, maybe they were only publicly available for a few days before the final ISO was available, which is why I missed the RCs.

Mint always has an RC that runs for quite some time to the public before finalizing it. Just look at the announcement threads to get an idea of the scheduling of RC's versus final releases.

mdshaver wrote:What package manager will be used? I briefly tried Kubuntu 9.04 and did not like KPackageKit at all. Will you consider using Synaptic or Adept?

Both Adept and Synaptic are easily attainable from the CLI with a simple command.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install adept && sudo apt-get install synaptic

But as of right now, I am running the x64 version of Kubuntu with KDE 4.2.4 because it is very stable and works great. I ran 4.2.90 for a bit, and it was stable for the most part, but there were a few issues that made me drop back down to 4.2.4 until 4.3 is finalized later this month.

KPackageKit has its up and downs, but for me it hasn't been an issue.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Mr. B on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Any news updates about the KDE CE release? I just can't wait anymore to test it myself. I can't even sleep at night..... lol :lol:
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3

Postby exploder on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:09 pm

I tested a new developmental iso today, there is one bug remaining. We will have to wait and see what Clem wants to do. Boo has been trying very hard to get the RC ready.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Mr. B on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:26 am

exploder wrote:I tested a new developmental iso today, there is one bug remaining. We will have to wait and see what Clem wants to do. Boo has been trying very hard to get the RC ready.

Thanks for the update exploder, it's appreciated. :) I know Boo and the rest of you are trying to get a solid rocking release, hope that the bug is easy to fix.
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Gumbotron on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:10 am

so is there a 64bit version?

Anyways, thanks for all of your hard work
Gumbotron
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:31 am

so is there a 64bit version?

Sorry, there is not a 64 bit version of this release.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby WildSioux on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:53 am

exploder wrote:I tested a new developmental iso today, there is one bug remaining. We will have to wait and see what Clem wants to do. Boo has been trying very hard to get the RC ready.

Care to tell us what the one bug was? Is it related to the intel video bugs in Jaunty? If it is only one bug and not that serious why not release this in RC form for the rest of us. Or is it that bad still? Whatever the case, I respect the judgment from Clem, Boo, and the other developers of Mint to release a top notch OS.

Also, will this Mint 7 KDE CE have KDE 4.2.4, or will it have 4.3 RC1? If they wait much longer (4 weeks), KDE 4.3 will be released. And it is a lot better than 4.2 (air theme, folderview, improved plasma to name a few).
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Dalamar on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:40 am

Perhaps an easy way to upgrade to 4.3 is another option.

Man, the wait is unbearable!
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:24 pm

Care to tell us what the one bug was? Is it related to the intel video bugs in Jaunty? If it is only one bug and not that serious why not release this in RC form for the rest of us. Or is it that bad still? Whatever the case, I respect the judgment from Clem, Boo, and the other developers of Mint to release a top notch OS.

Also, will this Mint 7 KDE CE have KDE 4.2.4, or will it have 4.3 RC1? If they wait much longer (4 weeks), KDE 4.3 will be released. And it is a lot better than 4.2 (air theme, folderview, improved plasma to name a few).

The bug is with "Print To PDF", Clem said it worked for him though. The KDE CE has KDE 4.2.4 and runs very well! Boo has done an excellent job on Mint 7 KDE. The features and software selection are great, this release is worth the wait! The Intel video bug is still present but I have experimented and found what I think is a solid work around that can be applied. (I use Intel graphics myself.) We will have to wait and see what Clem finds and what he wants to do. The 3 person testing process provides the quality you expect and all of us want the release to be the very best it can be.
Last edited by exploder on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Jay514 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Boo,
A question concering X64 KDE, would it be possable to upgrade or make the modifications for the 32bit version,so it would be 64bit. Maby a code upgrade package or similar, or even instructions. All future Processers will be 64x or more, just as the upgrade too 32bit from 16bit was made, so eventually we will all need a good x64 OS.
Maby I'm thinking wrong, but if they allready have Kubuntu X64, then we should be able to apply the same code changes to the up-coming release in order to have an x64 of LinuxMint KDE? Just a thought.Thank you in advance Boo & the Team, for the great efforts & the Last " Kick Butt " KDE - CE distro that we are still running.
I very much look forward too this release.
:mrgreen:
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Some good news for all those that have been anxiously awaiting this release.

http://twitter.com/linux_mint

enjoy! :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Mr. B on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:41 pm

Cool!!! Thanks again exploder. By the way, in your previous post you said that KDE CE will come with 2.4.2....?? Darn, that's old man. :lol:
I bet it comes with KDE 4.2.4. :mrgreen:
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3

Postby exploder on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:49 pm

Yes, I screwed up on that one. :oops: Sometimes it's hard to think around here with a 3 month old baby crying and a 4 year old asking for stuff every few minutes. I had better correct my post! Thanks!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby AfterEight on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:55 pm

One word

ORGASMIC !!

Running from the DVD and it is AWESOME guys.
Thank you to ALL, Boo , Exploder and Clem, you have done Linux Mint proud with this one.
Well worth the wait. 8) :wink:

Now to show it off to all my mates and the guys at work. :mrgreen:

Also loving the default 'wallpaper' Dew. Good choice.

AfterEight
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra ----+---- Dathon and Picard at El-Adrel IV
Registered as user #474278 with the Linux Counter
AfterEight
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Mr. B on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:42 pm

I created a live-usb stick of it with the usb-creator in Ubuntu 9.04 and had a quick look. Going for a complete runthrough (install) on my laptop tomorrow when i have more time. Looks great so far from what i've seen. Thanks Boo, Clem and exploder. :)
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3

Postby stuckinoregon on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Soooo......let's say we knew somebody who couldn't bear to live another second without said iso....where could we find it? Is there some magical repository that one might happen to stumble upon that contains this mythological beast?
stuckinoregon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:06 pm

:D
stuckinoregon, check your PM
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby mararual on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:30 pm

Hey Richyrich,

I wanna know too please. :)
mararual
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:33 pm

shhhh . . . :mrgreen:
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby DaJinx on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:36 am

Downloaded and tried it in LiveCD mode looked and worked great but I'm sticking with Gloria Main. Just wanted to give a thanks and say a job well done to all developers who worked on this KDE release. I'm sure those who prefer KDE will agree it is a fine release and the best KDE4 based distro available now.
DaJinx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE