New Install Issues (Elyssa)

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New Install Issues (Elyssa)

Postby ernieg92 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:23 pm

New to Mint, fairly comfortable with Linux in general. Some quirky things ongoing with a new install of Elyssa. I've used other versions of KDE 3.5 on this same machine, so I'm wondering if it's a configuration glitch (or something I didn't configure).

First off, I really like the way Mint is layed out. The menu system is nice and the color scheme is great (can't stand Kubuntu themes). But, I have some issues that are bugging me (holding me back from using Mint as primary distro).

1. Cannot adjust audio volume. KMix does not really control the audio. Adjusting the main/master does nothing. For PCM, it's either 100% or 0%. I've tried Mepis and Debian and both allow me to control via KMix. Am I missing something?

2. Random 100% CPU usage. Not sure if it's Adept (seems like it takes forever to get through package selection) or X11 (those are the two biggest users when I run "top" in konsole). Using synaptic doesn't cause as much trouble. How do I keep the MintUpdate applet from starting each boot/session? Is it better to use Nvidia proprietary driver (from their website) rather than the restricted driver? I've not had a problem in other distros with the CPU usage spiking up.

Thanks for the help.
Ernie
ernieg92
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New Install Issues (Elyssa)

Postby Boo on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:58 am

I find with sound I need to max PCM and then use the master to control the volume.
sound gets better in newer editions.

In mint update you can set the time between update checks in its config menu, default is 5 min.
otherwise it is located in /etc/xdg/autostart, you could delete it to stop it loading each time.
Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to KDE