KDE 4.3

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: KDE 4.3

Postby brute on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:41 am

No go for me, everytime I enable the backports, kde crashes on upgrade. Screen comes up but is missing task bar. Not sure the issue.

I have seen the upgrade from Buntu so I may try that and see how 4.3 works out. If anybody has used it on Mint, let me know how you enabled it to work.

Update: Installed KDE3 with mint7 gnome and it works just fine. I have found a few glitches but I know it is just Kde3.
looks pretty cool and I believe and I may be wrong, but it seems faster now than my gnome mint. Oh well, I hope we will be able to upgrade to Kde3 from within mint7 kde.
brute
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby schrodinger's cat on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, like many of you I was curious to see whether I could upgrade Gloria KDE to KDE 4.3, so I spent a couple of hours last night fooling around with it. Also like many of you, I ran into a some problems, mostly with regard to display issues.

First I tried simply installing the packages in the Backports repo. I don't recall exactly what happened next, but at some point I rebooted and ended up with a White Screen of Death. I spent a lot of time in the terminal after that, issuing a reconfigure of xserver-xorg, and manually editing xorg.conf, but every time I restarted I got the white screen. This would always occur after the login screen, which by this time had changed from a Mint login to a KDE login. I could tell that the OS had loaded behind the white screen, because the WINE tray was visible in the top left corner, (it was the only thing on the screen which wasn't white), and I could launch the WINE apps normally from that tray. I could also open Kicker with Alt-F2, but I couldn't launch anything from it.

Then I must have committed some kind of no-no, because on the next re-boot I was sent directly to the TTY login, and I couldn't get kdm to launch at all.

Now I started kicking myself, thinking that I was going to have to re-install Mint, re-install WINE and all the apps I was running in WINE, re-install VirtualBox and Windows XP and all those apps, not to mention all the tweaks and preferences I would have to set up all over again. Grrrr.

As a last resort I did a full "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", knowing that I would get packages (including a new kernel) that Mint might not like.

Rebooted after the installation and kdm loaded and gave me the login screen. Now the big test - logged in and got, not the white screen, but the plain blue desktop that others have mentioned. Right clicked on the desktop and added a panel. Right clicked on the panel and added a Mint launcher applet. Opend the menu and found all my applications intact. Hooray!

Now to get my desktop back. I thought perhaps the problem was in the Plasma config files, so I opened a terminal and typed:

sudo rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*

Then I rebooted, hoping that the config files would be rebuilt. They were, and I finally got a desktop with a proper panel, clock, launcher. etc. mintUpdate wanted to install some stuff, so I let it.

System Information now shows:

System: "Linux Mint 7 Gloria - KDE Community Edition"
KDE: 4.3.00 (KDE 4.3)

I've been running all day and have not had any "gotcha's" yet. In fact, the new kernel seems to have improved the performance of my Intel graphics.

The only problem I have encountered so far: Using System Settings Login Manager, I selected the mintkde login theme by Jamie Birse to replace the KDE Air login, but the Mint login screen comes up in German. Additionally the black dialog box is too narrow from side to side, so that the white fields for user and password stick out the side. Anyone know how I can get back a proper Mint KDE login screen in English?
schrödinger's cat
schrodinger's cat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby brute on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:42 am

Did you try going into the login manager, seems like that happened to me once and I was able to correct it there.
brute
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dafi on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:43 am

hm i updated it only with the ubuntu backports mentioned in this thread
then going to the console
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After a while of downloading and configuring i was asked if i want to overwrite a config-file (i don't know exactly the name, but i think it was a kde-desktop-config-file because when i hit "d" to see the differences between the two files, it showed me some stuff about oxygen-air and plasma settings). I did not overwrite the file (choose N) and everything was fine after restart...
And there was another plus :-)
After restart not only everything was as i left it (only in 4.3 ;-)) but also the ugly gnome-network-manager was replaced with the absolutly good looking knetworkmanager plasmoid...

So the (Testing) Laptop is working fine... now i'm going to install the whole thing again on my desktop.
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:58 am

dafi, I did the exact same thing as you, only I tried it in Virtualbox. Do you notice any problems with the menu staying open when you shut down or re-start? I am trying to figure out if this is a bug or a setting that the upgrade has changed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby dafi on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Ähm, don't know, i'll test it in a minute on my desktop pc, just installed kde4.3...
I'm posting here because i got the filename of the file i mentioned in my last post:
Code: Select all
/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc

Edit after reboot:
Thats strange, i did exact the same things as on my laptop but got the same problem as gltichcity. My desktop was empty O.O
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alanstanley on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:03 am

kaddy wrote:well.... I havn't tested the upgrade of kde 4.3 on Linux Mint since the missing libs have been uploaded to the repo.... So I can't guarentee that it will be successful or not....
but if it does stuff up, you can remove it and go back to what you had.......

open up a konsole
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

scroll down to the bottom and copy and paste

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

and

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/staging/ubuntu jaunty main

press ctrl and x and choose Y to save all changes

then type in konsole

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8AC93F7A

accept

then type in

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

it will refresh and install the upgrades.... accept any changes. Let it do its thing.

Let me know how you go
I won't get a chance to try this in Linux mint until tonight....
but it works perfect in Kubuntu, so i don't see why it won't now work in Mint.

Good Luck...
Backup all your data just incase.... and only try this upgrade if your not too worried if you bork it! lol.... but it should run smooth now.

kaddy

Just want to say that following the above post worked perfectly on my Acer Aspire T180 with an ATI graphics card - though I also followed this advice from dafi;
'After a while of downloading and configuring i was asked if i want to overwrite a config-file (i don't know exactly the name, but i think it was a kde-desktop-config-file because when i hit "d" to see the differences between the two files, it showed me some stuff about oxygen-air and plasma settings). I did not overwrite the file (choose N) and everything was fine after restart...'

In fact the fresh install of Mint7 KDE was unusable due to constant crashing with the desktop effects enabled - there are no such problems for me with 4.3.
alanstanley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby akshunj on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:12 pm

I decided to hold off on upgrading to 4.3 based on the wide range of experiences folks have had. I *did* however download the Karmic alpha Kubuntu LiveCD and take the new KDE 4.3 for a test-drive. And I have to say I was FLOORED by the experience. So many bugs were fixed, and so many features were enhanced that I would call it a generational upgrade from the 4.2 series. Desktop effects really work and the default settings are chosen with productivity in mind, not just eye-candy. Downloading and installing widgets via the cashew works a LOT better (not 100% yet). And I don't see that crazy memory leak from DBUS when running widgets that access the internet. The tray is smooth and 100% functional. The new theme is just plain slick! With Karmic coming in a couple of months, a re-spin of Gloria probably doesn't make sense. But I am expecting that Helena-KDE will be an extraordinary release!

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby hack on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:48 pm

I made the update to KDE 4.3 but now i have problems to when i enable kwin effects. If the kwin effects are enabled the background of the screen turns black and i can't see anything on my desktop. What can be the problem ?. My VC is a intel 950GM. In kde 4.2.4 i have no troubles with kwin effects.

Regards
hack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sirInstallAllot on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 am

So I decided to take the KDE 4.3 plunge after switching to KDE 4.2.4. First off I must say that Mint KDE CE is a great product...You guys are doing fantastic work...both on the Linux Mint team and the KDE team. Back to my install...

So my first attempt at KDE 4.3 upgrade from KDE 4.2.4 was a complete failure. My background was missing and in it's place was a checked background kind of like a checkers board. The panel was also missing everything...no menu...system tray, clock....etc... all missing. After an hour or so of browsing the Internet to find out what the deal was I decided to look at the install output "I should have looked there first, duhhh". I was surprised to see that there was a dependency problem. Apparently I install the Remember The Milk Plasmoid a few days ago. So I saw that the package plasma-widgets-addons was conflicting with the RTM package. So I have to comment out the KDE 4.3 lines in the sources.list file then do an aptitude update then remove the offending RTM plasmoid package then readd the KDE 4.3 packages to sources.list do the aptitude update again. Once all that was finished I was able to get KDE 4.3 installed without issues except I still had missing widgets on the panel. After adding them back KDe 4.3 seems to be running fine. There must be some kind of issue between the kderc for 4.2.4 and the one for KDE 4.3.

Anyway I just thought I share my experience with everyone.
sirInstallAllot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby famaster on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:19 am

Hi all,

I am still using Mint KDE 6 because of graphic driver problems in Gloria (xorg only supports the ati driver that dropped support for my card). I was wondering if there was a way to install KDE 4.3 on Felicia. I'm not sure using launchpad would still work for it.

If not, that's ok, I looked at Mint KDE 7 and it's great, and probably better with 4.3. I'll just have a smaller display :|

Thanks!
famaster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm

famaster wrote:Hi all,

I am still using Mint KDE 6 because of graphic driver problems in Gloria (xorg only supports the ati driver that dropped support for my card). I was wondering if there was a way to install KDE 4.3 on Felicia. I'm not sure using launchpad would still work for it.

If not, that's ok, I looked at Mint KDE 7 and it's great, and probably better with 4.3. I'll just have a smaller display :|

Thanks!

I'm not sure what model ATI you have, but this may be of interest to you. http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-Linu ... 9463.shtml
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby aelfinn on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm afraid kaddy's method didn't work for me. The computer froze when it tried to install the downloaded updates.

Fresh install, enabled backports repo, did a "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade". No luck. :(
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Postby aelfinn on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:38 pm

aelfinn wrote:I'm afraid kaddy's method didn't work for me. The computer froze when it tried to install the downloaded updates.

Fresh install, enabled backports repo, did a "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade". No luck. :(

Worked now. This time, I additionally imported the key and removed korganizer and kontact. Only issue: I had to re-install the task panel.

Speaking of which: how would I be able to reproduce the original Mint 7 KDE colour scheme, with a black background system tray etc.? Any help much appreciated! :)
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Postby srini2174 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:22 am

Hi
Finally I decided to take the plunge after an unsuccessful attept to updgrade to KDE 4.3. This time I followed the instruction given in this post and I was able to upgrade successfully. I am posting the steps which I followed so that I may be of some use to others.

1) I used sudo apt-get update & mintupdate dist-upgrade after enabling the ppa repositories. I had the following error

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-workspace-bin_4%3a4.3.0-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kconf_update_bin/plasma-add-shortcut-to-menu', which is also in package kde-window-manager
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/konqueror_4%3a4.3.0-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa3_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/kde4/apps/dolphinpart/kpartplugins/kshellcmdplugin.rc', which is also in package dolphin

2) I removed the kde-window-manager and dolphin (noted down the packages dependent on dolphin)
3) I reinstalled kdebase-workspace-bin, konqueror, kde-window-manager and dolphin in that order.
4) I also reinstalled the all the packages which were removed for dependency when dolphin was removed.
5) Finally rerun the command mintupdate dist-upgrade. Choose to keep the /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc when prompted for it.
6) Rebooted and logged in the command line mode (using Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the login screen)
7) I removed the .kde and .qt folders in my home directory
8) Rebooted and login in normally. Now I was able to get KDE 4.3 successfully.

I have used this for almost a day now and I must say that I am very much impressed with this version of KDE. There are lots and lots of improvement and it is highly responsive. The only issue I have now that kde desktop logo appears at the top of the kicker menu.

Srinivasan.B
srini2174
Level 1
Level 1

Postby famaster on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 am

dlkreations wrote:I'm not sure what model ATI you have, but this may be of interest to you. http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-Linu ... 9463.shtml

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about this! Thanks dlkreactions, I'll go ahead and try it :D
famaster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby famaster on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:31 am

I think I spoke too soon lol. My card, Radeon X300, is now a legacy driver according to AMD. Anything after 9.3 will not support it. I forgot what is the lowest version of the proprietary that X supports in Gloria supports. The open-source drivers work, but not nearly as well.
famaster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby brute on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Does anyone know if the Kubuntu backports are down? I had Mint installed with 4.3 and I needed to do a fresh install of Windows and Mint and now with the enabled repository of kubuntu backports it will not upgrade the desktop. Let me know what ya think. Thanks.
brute
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:09 pm

I was told that KDE 4.3.1 was coming into the repos pretty soon.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby KevinC on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Worked for me using Kaddy's instructions and Aelfinn's advice about removing korganizer and kontact. However, I had the empty desktop as well with no panel. I tinkered around a bit and remembered a thread from Kubuntu forums (I had previously installed Jaunty 64 KUbuntu and upgraded to KDE4.3, somehow I lost the panel or maybe it was when I was playing with Karmic...can't recall). The advice was to move the .kde folder (in your home folder, a select View->show hidden files) to the trash. This didn't work, so I moved the .qt folder to trash as well (remember to backup these folders---just in case) and on reboot they were rebuilt and everything was back. I chose the elegance theme and the Linux Mint "dew" wallpaper from /usr/share/wallpapers. All has been great so far. I've tried several of the KDE4.3 based distro's & I have to say the upgraded KDE Mint7 has been the best & I have kept coming back and intend to stay for awhile this time... :wink:
KevinC
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to KDE