Performance of Gloria KDE on eeePC 1000H

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Performance of Gloria KDE on eeePC 1000H

Postby Coxeroni on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:38 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to know, if there are people out here, that use Gloria KDE with their eeePC (1000H).
I have installed this great distro yesterday, but as I am know working more and more with it, I see that my netbook might not be powerfull enough to run KDE. Some operations are not as "direct" as I want them to be (a bit laggy one could say).

I already disable the window animations, but I am not sure how to disable that composite extension (if that's what it's called), because I think this might be one of the biggest performance eaters.

Anyway are there additional hints how to tweak my system that I get a faster running Gloria?

Thanks in advance.

Coxeroni
Coxeroni
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Performance of Gloria KDE on eeePC 1000H

Postby DrHu on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:11 am

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/03/li ... nt-di.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_(software)
--Avahi; one item most people don't actually need.
Remove stuff (applications ) you don't use
--for example, if you don't have any bluetooth devices, you don't need bluetooth

http://man.he.net/man8/rcconf
Install rcconf and check what is run at boot, you will have to check the names for the daemons/services that are being started to decide if you don't need them, you do have to be careful(sure) of what you turn off, however most of the time, even if it stops the system responding for that reason, you can simply re-enable that service via sudo rcconf in a login terminal.; and if the application is still installed, the service may restart by itself, simply as the application still exists on the system
--it is also true that most services/daemons do not use a lot of system resources, so in that case it is more of a fine-tuning than any larger cleanup
--I would also check what is started automatically for that desktop, and decide whether or to to include it..

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
I would also install a cleanup facility, like bleachbit to clear cache, history, tmp and some other files that accumulate
--you might also wish to take a look at how much logging , files appear in /var/log that the system is doing..

I am basing this on the Gnome desktop, but there may be some equivalents for Kde..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Coxeroni on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks for your help, I will test those solutions later.

In the meantime I already kind of helped myself ;)

As it seems as mostly it is a graphics problem, I googled around and found the following tweak:

Since it is an Intel graphics card, in xorg.conf I added the following:

Under Device:

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"

Those Options speed up the x.org performance dramatically, so it seems as I have a smoothly running system now! :D

Anyway I will have a look, to what you suggested, maybe it speeds up things even more.
Coxeroni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cedric on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Coxeroni

Can't say how I'm so grateful about your post ... I've got one eeebox 202 and since I've done your advice it's really amazing !

Now with the brand new opera 10 I don't recognize my little computer, it's really enjoyable, faster, really incredible !!!

Thank's a lot !

This advice should part of a wiki somewhere I think ;-)
For french speaking drummers : www.latoiledesbatteurs.com
cedric
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Coxeroni on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Wow I could help somebody, amazing :)

You are welcome and I hope your little fella is as fast as mine :)

I googled for that tweak apparently already for other distributions, and it worked quite well also there. Must be something with the intel gpu that the eees have built in.

Enjoy your great piece of hardware with a great piece of software :)
Coxeroni
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE