Can you undo updates?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can you undo updates?

Postby alun_sundry on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Probably not my best ever idea I've ever had, but I'm just trying out the KDE Mint 7 and sometimes tend to gamble a bit with an initial installation and then do a cleaner install a few days later when I know what I want and can avoid clutter and any botches. I added the level 4 updates and five were installed, at least one of which is causing crashes. Can I undo updates in some way? I had a look in Synaptic for the files but I suppose inevitably only the newest version, the unstable one in these cases, are available. Why do these updates cause trouble when they are used by Ubuntu?

I think the crash is involved with dbus or dbus-x11 so maybe there is some workaround to aright things.

The updates are the following

xserver-xorg-video
grub-gfxboot
dbus-x11
libdbus-1-3
dbus
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can you undo updates?

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:05 pm

You could try the "Force Version" option in Synaptic, but that is usually insufficient. Unfortunately there is no easy way to revert updates unless you've been taking regular backups. The reason those updates can cause crashes is that they affect the core systems (just above kernel level) and hence they are level 4 updates.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby optimize me on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:11 pm

If you look in /var/log, there's a file called mintUpdate.history

In there, you'll see dates & times of every update you've performed with MintUpdate since you've installed your OS. There's date, time, package name, old version, new version.

All you'd have to do is figure out which packages you want to revert and hunt down the old versions.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby alun_sundry on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Apart from having Mint on my hard drive I've also got it on a usb stick - could I find the relevant files and paste them into where their newer replacements reside? Or would that bypass some changes that are needed?
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Return to KDE