Problems to log in

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atanil

Problems to log in

Post by atanil »

My system crushed after I runed out of disk space.
I rebooted and I can't log in anymore.
I have the system configured to automatically log in without password however KDM now is asking for password.
Even if I input the correct password the login screen refreshes and asks for password again.
I am inputing the correct password cause I can log in on console mode.
I can't log in even on safe mode.

After few tries and searching on web I decided to reinstall.
I can log in normally with a /home on same partition of OS install but if I change my old /home partition the problem returns.
So I'm sure that the problem happens due to some config file in my /home directory.

Any ideas ?

I using Mint 7 KDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Problems to log in

Post by lagagnon »

Login problems are usually due to a mistyped password or lack of hard drive space.
Please login via recovery mode, use the simple menu in recovery mode to get a root terminal and type:

df -h
sudo fdisk -l

and show us the output of those commands.
atanil

Post by atanil »

Thanks for the help.
Looks like problem was lack of HD space.
I used my Mint main Edition install and deleted a lot of files.
After that Mint KDE works properly.

Is it posssible to give the user a log message when system can't log in due lack of hd space ?
For experienced users it's not a problem but can be a big headache for normal users.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

atanil wrote:Is it posssible to give the user a log message when system can't log in due lack of hd space ?
Probably not because the reason you can't log in is that no temporary file space can be set aside to do basic systems operations - let alone sending the user a message! This would happen in any operating system which does not have enough hard drive space to perform basic creation of required temporary file space.

I suggest you get a larger hard drive or increase the size of the Mint partition on which you installed the OS, or get an external drive and move all your data to it.

Return to “Software & Applications”