KDE 4.4 on the way

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: KDE 4.4 on the way

Postby exploder on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:02 pm

kmb42vt, I just tried the solution, it completely fixes the problem. User Manager will produce an error but will open and work. Once the system is re-booted the error is gone and User Manager is back to perfect working order. Very nice work my friend! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby HoppityBob on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:05 pm

kmb42vt wrote:For what it's worth, I've got User Management working again thanks to exploder and a KDE forum member, apachelogger, ferreting out the associated bug report on this problem.

Either way, the fix appears to work. Can someone try this themselves then beat the crap out of it to make sure there's no glitches? Heck, we might just get a jump on everyone else. 8)

That sorted it for me - thank you very much ! However, I'm not sure if it's related, but the fonts in my Thunderbird 3 immediately went haywire. I'll change back that line and see what happens.... erm, still wonky, bah.
HoppityBob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kmb42vt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:13 pm

exploder wrote:kmb42vt, I just tried the solution, it completely fixes the problem. User Manager will produce an error but will open and work. Once the system is re-booted the error is gone and User Manager is back to perfect working order. Very nice work my friend! :D

Just following your (and others) leads. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:23 pm

I added the solution to the bug report. It just goes to show that if enough of us get together to fix a problem we can get the job done. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kmb42vt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm

HoppityBob wrote:
That sorted it for me - thank you very much ! However, I'm not sure if it's related, but the fonts in my Thunderbird 3 immediately went haywire. I'll change back that line and see what happens.... erm, still wonky, bah.

Thunderbird 3.0 fonts still show fine for me but my install may be different from yours. I installed TB3 by downloading the tarball directly from Mozilla and extracting it into it's own folder in my Home directory. I then changed the command path in the menu items for TB 3.0. Once I started TB3 I set it as default and it was done.

On your font problem, try this:

First, go into "about.config" and search for "layout.css.dpi" and set the value to "0" (default is "-1") Then shutdown TB but don't restart yet. Here's the reference for the setting and what it does:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Layout.css.dpi

Go into System Settings/Appearance/Fonts and make sure that "Force fonts DPI:" is set to "Disabled". Hit "Apply" and close.

Now start up TB and check your fonts. They should not only be back to normal but should be following system settings for fonts rather than it using it's own (unalterable) chrome settings.

This should work for Firefox 3.6 as well.

HTH
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bobcollard on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Just did a dist-upgrade and lost two of four virtual desktops. All black except taskbar and no menu with right click. Had it with KDE for awhile switching to Xubuntu before my nerves get frazzeled.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Just did a dist-upgrade and lost two of four virtual desktops. All black except taskbar and no menu with right click. Had it with KDE for awhile switching to Xubuntu before my nerves get frazzeled.

All my virtual desktops are working. Did you type "N" when apt asked about overwriting a bash script?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby bobcollard on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 pm

exploder wrote:

All my virtual desktops are working. Did you type "N" when apt asked about overwriting a bash script?

Nope, my bad. It only asked once, was expecting a second question, hit Y.
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:25 pm

That is where things must have gone wrong on your install. I knew from past experience that choosing "Y" would break the system, needless to say I have made the wrong choice on that myself before. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby bobcollard on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:05 pm

exploder wrote:

That is where things must have gone wrong on your install. I knew from past experience that choosing "Y" would break the system, needless to say I have made the wrong choice on that myself before. :)

Well, I decided I made enough mistakes again so I wiped Linux Mint 8 KDE64 and will start over again after things settle down, like I said, back to my stable Xubuntu. I have this on disk and reinstall it whenever. Easy, quick and cleans up the disk. When I decide to reinstall KDE I will leave this on as a dual boot until things go bad again.
Back up daily, keep the faith.
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Postby aelfinn on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:33 pm

bobcollard wrote:Just did a dist-upgrade

Would I have to do a dist-upgrade to get KDE 4.4? The safe-upgrade wants to hold a dozen or so packages back, and mintUpdate, although it has 194 updates after I enabled kubuntu-backports, tells me to fix broken packages first. Synaptic, however, says there are no broken packages. Any pointers as to what to try would be much appreciated! :)
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kmb42vt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 pm

aelfinn wrote:

Would I have to do a dist-upgrade to get KDE 4.4? The safe-upgrade wants to hold a dozen or so packages back, and mintUpdate, although it has 194 updates after I enabled kubuntu-backports, tells me to fix broken packages first. Synaptic, however, says there are no broken packages. Any pointers as to what to try would be much appreciated! :)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That's how the rest of us broke...I mean upgraded to KDE 4.4 :D (using the Update Manager or Synaptic doesn't work). Should go a lot better now than it did for us since all the updates to KDE 4.4 should be included. You'll probably have to do the fix for "User Management" (noted a few comments back) as the update that fixes this hasn't been pushed to backports yet.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby exploder on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Also, keep the existing bash file, do not upgrade this.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby bobcollard on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:44 pm

aelfinn wrote:

For better advice see this link: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=41894
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Postby aelfinn on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:57 pm

kmb42vt wrote:sudo apt-get update

That's how the rest of us broke...I mean upgraded to KDE 4.4 :D (using the Update Manager or Synaptic doesn't work).

Does aptitude? That's what I tried when I got the held-back-packages message described above. I've tried to understand the difference between apt-get and aptitude for a while, but maybe this specific example can finally shed some light where I'm pretty much still in the dark. :)
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bobcollard on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:57 pm

aelfinn wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:sudo apt-get update

That's how the rest of us broke...I mean upgraded to KDE 4.4 :D (using the Update Manager or Synaptic doesn't work).

Does aptitude? That's what I tried when I got the held-back-packages message described above. I've tried to understand the difference between apt-get and aptitude for a while, but maybe this specific example can finally shed some light where I'm pretty much still in the dark. :)[/q
For example, see this Link: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Postby manny on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:46 pm

I had Kubuntu in a partition and upgraded to KDE 4.4 without a glitch. The reason I installed in Kubuntu is because my Linux Mint KDE 8 works like a dream and I don't want to risk having problems since I made it my main OS. May I know if I upgrade in Helena what the impact will be? Will remain mintized or would be better to wait till KDE 9 is released? Any suggestions?
manny
Level 2
Level 2

Postby aelfinn on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:30 am

Update seems to have gone well, although Multiple Desktops was inoperative inititally. A quick disable/re-enable in System Settings and it was back to normal.

What does seem to be a bug, though, is the Desktop section of System Settings, where the categories sidebar (Desktop Effects, Multiple Destops, etc.) takes about 10 seconds to appear. Does anybody else see that?
Last edited by aelfinn on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kmb42vt on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:17 pm

aelfinn wrote:Update seems to have gone well, although Multiple Desktops was inoperative inititally. A quick disable/re-enable in System Settings and it was back to normal.

Was does seem to be a bug, though, is the Desktop section of System Settings, where the categories sidebar (Desktop Effects, Multiple Destops, etc.) takes about 10 seconds to appear. Does anybody else see that?

I see that as well but I hadn't looked into since I was troubleshooting the User Management problem. I also see that under "About Me/Password & User Account" I'm unable to change my user icon (avatar...whatever). It tells me that my administrator has disallowed me changing my user image. Since I'm the administrator I find that rather strange. Could you check that out as well and see if you get the same thing?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby aelfinn on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 pm

kmb42vt wrote:I also see that under "About Me/Password & User Account" I'm unable to change my user icon (avatar...whatever). It tells me that my administrator has disallowed me changing my user image. Since I'm the administrator I find that rather strange. Could you check that out as well and see if you get the same thing?

Nope, that works for me. But System Settings produces an error message and sometimes crashes when I try to set date and time automatically. :(
LM15 C64
Acer Aspire 1810TZ
aelfinn
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE