KDE 4.4.0 - Always Allow - Keyring - Wireless

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enigma

KDE 4.4.0 - Always Allow - Keyring - Wireless

Post by enigma »

Hello

First I must give my congratulations to the KDE team because Linux Mint KDE CE 8 is the first KDE distro that worked wirelessly out of the box. In the past I had to load Gnome first and then KDE to get wireless conductivity but not this time.

Now the problem and it is wireless related.

This is a new install with KDE4.3 upgraded via download manager to KDE4.4.0.

When I set up LMKDECE8 I clicked Always Allow for the keyring question but now each and every time the machine starts up the same question appears. Does the user allow the action on the Gnome wireless applet.

I tried to setup an identical connection from scratch. I click Always Allow then deleted the original but the same question comes up. I have deleted all connections and started from scratch with the same result. I have checked the permissions as much as my knowledge allows and nothing seems to amiss.

I would start purging (config files and all) the appropriate files and reloading but I do not know KDE 4.4.0 well enough.

Can anyone help me along? or point me in a different direction?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: KDE 4.4.0 - Always Allow - Keyring - Wireless

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Try this.

Open the connection editor by right clicking on the network icin in the upper right corner of the screen.
Select your wireless network and click "Edit"
In the lower left corner of the edit box, click on "Available to all users" then click "Apply"
Close the editor.

By making the wireless network available to all users, you remove the requirement to prove, by entering your password, that you can legally use the network.

Hope this helps.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

Actually since you are in KDE, you want to open it from the bottom right corner. :)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Sorry about that. I forgot not everyone moves their panel to the top of the screen. For most users, the wireless icon will be at the lower right.
enigma

Re: KDE 4.4.0 - Always Allow-Keyring-Wireless [SOLVED Sortof]

Post by enigma »

Thank You for the replies.

Aging Technogeek - I could not get the results that you listed. When I right-clicked on the network icon (at the bottom of my screen :) ) I got a popup that listed wired network, wireless network, vpn ..., configuration (1), and About which stated NetworkManager applet. I clicked on the wireless network line and it took me to the standard editing window with no mention of "Available to all users".

But I do have a solution sortof. My original reason for coming here was my searches brought up nothing. The reason that they brought up nothing was because I used "KDE" in the search. I changed that to "gnome" and a whole new list appeared. In LM8 the KDE network manager was replaced by the gnome network manager. On page three of the search results I looked at

http://davestechsupport.com/blog/2009/0 ... d-keyring/.

About two screens down I came across
1. Open up your Home Folder by clicking Places>Home Folder
2. Press CTRL-H (or click View>Show Hidden Files)
3. Find a folder called .gnome2 (it has a period at the beginning of the name) and open it by double clicking on it
4. In side of the .gnome2 folder, there is another folder called keyrings. Open it up.
5. Delete any files you find within the keyrings folder
6. Restart the computer

I followed these instructions in my own directory. Later when I entered the keyring password window I left them blank and clicked Always Allow and now I have wireless access at boot.

I don't know if this is good OS management but it worked!

Thank You all again.

(1) Sorry for the generalness of the popup but the 4.4.0 machine is downstairs and my memory is not as good as it used to be.
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

Thank you very much!
Very useful here, where I selected "Available for all users" but had a bad issue: no access to the configuration editor anymore and the nm-applet lost the connection's password.

Return to “Software & Applications”