Upgrade mint5 -> mint 9 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kage

Upgrade mint5 -> mint 9 KDE

Post by kage »

Hi,

I wonder, will it be possible to upgrade from mint 5 to mint 9 kde? Both are LTS versions.

Greetz
kage
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Upgrade mint5 -> mint 9 KDE

Post by bobcollard »

kage wrote:Hi,

I wonder, will it be possible to upgrade from mint 5 to mint 9 kde? Both are LTS versions.

Greetz
kage
In a normal upgrade from one version to another, like Mint 8 to Mint 9, you might get away with a simple upgrade. There too many changes, including applications and configurations that are inherent in this wide a distance. The best you can do is backup your home folder (visible data like pictures, documents, music etc.) and start from scratch with a clean install of the Linux Mint 9.
kage

Post by kage »

Thnx for replying Robert

I'll backup and make a clean install

greetz
kage
olligod

Post by olligod »

Actually, do backup your *entire* home folder in one piece if possible (and not too late for you ...)
if you care for:

- bookmarks of all browsers
- email client settings
- locally stored emails
- Desktop adjustments to panels etc. you have made, if any

A lot of these are in the hidden files and directories
/home/yourname/.* ("dot-asterisk" files and subdirectories)

With little effort you can import these.
However, of course betwen Mint-5 and Mint-9 there was the big leap between KDE-3 and KDE-4.
Therefore just copying the old home-directory in place of the new one will not do in your case.

Return to “Software & Applications”