Mint 9 KDE : Sound coming from Line-in?!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buddinger

Mint 9 KDE : Sound coming from Line-in?!

Post by buddinger »

Hello everyone :)

Thought I would give Mint 9 Kde a try, and to be honest, I love it! :)
Got still a little problem with my integrated audio card: the sound does not come out of the speaker jack (green), but out of the line-in jack (blue), and to change the strength of the sound, I have to turn down the "front"-slide (the master slide does not affect the sound). Any ideas on how I could change it?

Card: SiS SI7012
Chip: SigmaTel STAC9758,59

Help is greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

Alex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rec9140

Re: Mint 9 KDE : Sound coming from Line-in?!

Post by rec9140 »

Many intergrated audio when in 5.1 or other "surround" type modes... the line in/outs etc. become outputs for various speakers like front, rear, etc..

Boot into the BIOS and force the chipset to Audio97 or HDA audio mode v. 5.1 or 7.1 or similar modes.
buddinger

Post by buddinger »

Hi

thanks for your answer :) The problem is, I have no such option to change modes in my BIOS :(
If it was the problem, shouldn't it be the same in Windows? In Windows XP, the sound comes out where it has to come out ;)
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

buddinger wrote:thanks for your answer :) The problem is, I have no such option to change modes in my BIOS :(
buddinger wrote:If it was the problem, shouldn't it be the same in Windows? In Windows XP, the sound comes out where it has to come out ;)
Couldn't advise on that other os, no longer know any thing about what it does.

My intergrated audio has the ability to have sound come out ports that normally would be be used for in and outs of other signals if you enable "surround" type modes ie: 5.1/6.1/7.1 etc...

You need to look to see if there are issues with ALSA and the chipset for your audio... it could be a bug, and thus they've selected a wrong mode and thus an out like line out is being used v. the normal speaker out (if they are separate on your MB/card, nowdays line out/speaker out can be the same)

Following the ALSA upgrade thread may solve the issue, but when I looked at the RC's ALSA version it was only like 1 or 2 MINOR rev's off...

Return to “Software & Applications”