Konsole/Terminal errors?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Intugo

Konsole/Terminal errors?

Post by Intugo »

Hey guys!

New to Linux Mint 9 here, and I've chosen the KDE desktop this time.
It works very good and is extremely fast, I'm impressed by it!

However, running commands in the Konsole result in errors? sometimes.. And I'm not sure if its supposed to happen or not and what it means.

Can anyone fill me in?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Konsole/Terminal errors?

Post by Boo »

more info please.
what commands and what sort of errors?
sounds strange though, I have not had any command errors in konsole.

EDIT: i could not view the picture at work. dam you websense!

Cheers
Jamie
Last edited by Boo on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
mick55

Post by mick55 »

You are experiencing dbus errors from trying to run graphical programs in the terminal.

This is not unusual behaviour on KDE.

Right click your pictures and select the program to open them from the context menu,
or just click on them and let the default program open them.

If I have misunderstood your situation, please feel free to correct my assumption,
and provide further details of your predicament.

mick
Intugo

Post by Intugo »

Boo wrote:more info please.
what commands and what sort of errors?
sounds strange though, I have not had any command errors in konsole.

EDIT: i could not view the picture at work. dam you websense!

Cheers
Jamie
Well, running programs via the Konsole result in alot of errors in the Konsole, but the program still shows up.
Not sure if I should be worried with a corrupt install or its just KDE?

Gwenview:

Code: Select all

intugo@Leviathan ~/Pictures/Wallpapers $ gwenview y6k465i3w5b5151t43d3jx41ma2u2qoz7.jpg
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
"/usr/bin/gwenview(2108)" Error in thread 3078556320 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/gwenview(2108)" Error in thread 3078556320 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
"/usr/bin/gwenview(2108)" Error in thread 3078556320 : "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/gwenview(2108)" Error in thread 3078556320 : "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
gwenview(2108)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "edit_redo" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
gwenview(2108)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "edit_undo" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
gwenview(2108)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kate:

intugo@Leviathan ~/Documents $ kate Hackular\ Web
kate(2174)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing  "/usr/share/mime/magic"
kate(2174)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing  "/home/intugo/.local/share/mime/magic"
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/intugo/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
And when I for example try to restart the shell I get this block of text:

intugo@Leviathan ~/Documents $ kbuildsycoca4 && kquitapp plasma-desktop && kstart plasma-desktop
kbuildsycoca4 running...
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
kstart(2182) main: Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended 
intugo@Leviathan ~/Documents $ QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
plasma-desktop(2186)/kio (KDirWatch) KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry: doesn't know "" 
Error while inflating gzip file: incorrect header check
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/intugo/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
QGraphicsLinearLayout::removeAt: invalid index 0
plasma-desktop(2186)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/intugo/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Desktop.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(2186)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/intugo/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Ubuntu remove old boot entries.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(2186)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/intugo/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/intugo's Home.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(2186)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/intugo/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Category:Male_video_game_characters.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(2186)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "/home/intugo/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Category:Female_video_game_characters.desktop" not found
plasma-desktop(2186)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/solid_hal_power.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
QGraphicsLinearLayout::removeAt: invalid index 0
Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0
Couldn't find node center. Skipping rendering.
Couldn't find node center. Skipping rendering.
plasma-desktop(2186)/plasma SystemTray::DBusSystemTrayWidget::createMenuImporter: DBusMenu disabled for this application 
^C
mick55 wrote:You are experiencing dbus errors from trying to run graphical programs in the terminal.

This is not unusual behaviour on KDE.

Right click your pictures and select the program to open them from the context menu,
or just click on them and let the default program open them.

If I have misunderstood your situation, please feel free to correct my assumption,
and provide further details of your predicament.

mick
Isn't what I am trying to do, using the Konsole to call Gwenview to open a file?

Yeah, opening with the mouse is easy, and has no problems at all, but sometimes I have to do stuff via the Konsole.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

As I previously stated:-
mick55 wrote:You are experiencing dbus errors from trying to run graphical programs in the terminal.
To eliminate dbus errors you need to launch dbus before you run
your graphical application from the terminal.

Here is an example of what you would enter.

dbus-launch kate
or as root

kdesu dbus-launch kate
It's not a Mint issue, it's a KDE4 issue.

mick

Return to “Software & Applications”