No KDE Celena. onto Daryna

Forums for the KDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby Proximo on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:13 pm

Registered just to give my 2 cents.
One of the reasons why i totally fell in love with Mint (gnome version) was the NON-gnome menu. I immediatly thought "god i wish i could get KDE with this kind of menu".
So far ive found Mint to be superiour to any other distro ive tried when it comes to tidyness, its easy and logical to find whatever you need.
The old KDE menu is a clutterish mess in my humble opinion.
I have just discovered Kicker and Tasty, and have yet not built an opinion on what i like best, but please whatever you do, do include some customized menu!

As far as KDE4 goes, I read an article on it in the latest LXF magazine, where it was mentioned that at release of 4.0 they did not expect it to be ready for the masses. Most applications needs to be recoded/translated (or whatever its called :P), and thus the number of options available to desktop users will be very limited until 4.1 or 4.2. Well thats at least how i understood that article. ><

Other than that, cant wait till i see the new KDE verison of Mint! =)
Proximo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Izo on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:34 pm

linuxviolin wrote:@ Izo

Kickoff? With all these click click click to open something? :roll:
What time lost all these clicks! :lol:

Maybe the original KDE menu reminds Windows 98 but it is simple, light etc I like it.:wink:

And even in Windows XP I replaced the default theme (horrible) by the traditional theme...:D

Bah! That's the problem with you traditionalists! You can't see past your own Windows '98 nose! :lol:

/izo\
Izo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fintan on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:22 am

bah... I also agree that tasty is a tad too large

You can change the size as you like:
right click on tasty->configure->menu size :)
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

resize

Postby dracorX on Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:06 am

One can resize. but it's rather subobtimal
One has no control over the different columns. I can't indicate I want the first column the size xx px and the 2nd and 3rd column yy px

When I tried to make it smaller, the 1st column became way too small
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Postby linuxviolin on Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Izo wrote:That's the problem with you traditionalists! You can't see past your own Windows '98 nose! :lol:

Nice sense of humor Izo :lol:
The menu is not exactly the same as in Win98... :wink:
The menu is simple, not *large* :) , the categories are clear, readily accessible, all is in alphabetical order... No really I have no problem with this menu! :lol:

If you prefer Tasty that's OK, it's freedom of choice. :wink:
Not like Win98 hey? :lol: :lol: :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby akshunj on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Proximo wrote:Registered just to give my 2 cents.
One of the reasons why i totally fell in love with Mint (gnome version) was the NON-gnome menu. I immediatly thought "god i wish i could get KDE with this kind of menu".
So far ive found Mint to be superiour to any other distro ive tried when it comes to tidyness, its easy and logical to find whatever you need.
I have just discovered Kicker and Tasty, and have yet not built an opinion on what i like best, but please whatever you do, do include some customized menu!

Duuuuuuuuuude, I SO agree with you! I think so many other distros ignore the fact that the default KDE and Gnome menus are a complete mess. If you really want a lesson is bad usability, do a stock Slackware and check out that default KDE menu. Part of what makes Mint unique is the customized menu. I really hope it stays, Boo.

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby deadguy on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:30 pm

akshunj wrote:
Proximo wrote:Registered just to give my 2 cents.

Duuuuuuuuuude, I SO agree with you! I think so many other distros ignore the fact that the default KDE and Gnome menus are a complete mess. If you really want a lesson is bad usability, do a stock Slackware and check out that default KDE menu. Part of what makes Mint unique is the customized menu. I really hope it stays, Boo.

--Akshun J

I agree!!
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby LostOverThere on Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Something to make KDE look way nicer is to simply make the bottom taskbar transparent by default. It just looks so much more cleaner.

Have a Look
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby linuxviolin on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:42 pm

LostOverThere wrote:Something to make KDE look way nicer is to simply make the bottom taskbar transparent by default.

+1! :D I support this! 8)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

transparent kicker bar

Postby dracorX on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:30 am

Hmmm. sorry, I don't agree, really.

The reason is following: the start button, the systray and the taskbar (which is obsolete if using compiz, really) are then hanging all alone in the air. I better like having a nicely skinned taskbar really.
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Huh?

Postby LostOverThere on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:39 am

dracorX wrote:Hmmm. sorry, I don't agree, really.

The reason is following: the start button, the systray and the taskbar (which is obsolete if using compiz, really) are then hanging all alone in the air. I better like having a nicely skinned taskbar really.

Its not so transparent you cant see it, its still easily visible. Just, say 50% transparency
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Huh?

Postby dracorX on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:37 am

LostOverThere wrote:
dracorX wrote:Hmmm. sorry, I don't agree, really.

Its not so transparent you cant see it, its still easily visible. Just, say 50% transparency

With that I can agree
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Postby flammenwurfer on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:23 pm

The first thing I do whenever I install any KDE distro is make the taskbar transparent. usually around 70-80%
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LostOverThere on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:10 am

Awesome.

So Boo, can we have this on default? (By the way I haven't see the Daryna Beta so I wouldn't know if it has/has not been implanted - sorry)
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Boo on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:08 pm

I will look into it.
sounds like a nice little variation.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Re: No KDE Celena. onto Daryna

Postby lynx on Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm new to using Linux Mint and love the KDE version the best, so I'm using KDE Bianca. I'm using that one because I was under the impression it is a main release and that the one's that say community edition are in testing mode, but please tell me if I'm wrong. Will there be a KDE mail edition or is the community edition the latest release that I should be using. I prefer not use anything in beta but would rather wait until the main edition comes out.
lynx

Postby Boo on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 pm

There is no "main" KDE edition now only the KDE Community Edition.

The KDE CE Final will be out soon.

Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby lynx on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:33 pm

^^Thanks for the response. So when I see CE edition does that mean it's still in development. I only ask because the Gnome releases don't use the term CE. And the Bianca KDE edition says it's a main edition. And the next CE KDE edition that is coming out soon will be final, does that mean final for good, or will there be another edition after that. I'm new to linux and so I'm still trying to understand things. I just feel like if I'm happy with what I'm using now is it imperative for me to upgrade every time a new edition comes out. And from what I've seen a new one comes out every month or so.
lynx

Postby Boo on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:29 am

the CE just means Community Edition, the development disks all have beta in their name.

Clem did the Bianca KDE edition so it was known as a main edition.
doing a gnome and kde edition was a bit too much work for clem since he really wants to develop new Minty tools/apps.
I volunteered to maintain the KDE edition of mint and started with Cassandra.
The main Mint edition is Gnome based and all other Mint editions are known as Community Editions (CE).
so far there are KDE and XFCE community editions of Mint but soon there will be a fluxbox a mini-mint and maybe even an E17.

there will be more KDE Mint editions after this one and they will follow the Ubuntu release cycle which is every 6 months.
The main Mint edition may have minor releases in between major ones but these normally just add new mint tools and updates to applications. eg Mint Celena 3.1
the minor releases can usually be updated to by a simple edit and online update, though we are looking to automate this.

If your system is working how you want it to there is no need to update it every release. you could just check out the live CD each major release and if you feel there are apps there you need then install it otherwise wait for the next one, and repeat.

hope this helps.
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby lynx on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:04 am

Ok now I get it. The reason I was concerned about my need to update is because coming from windows if you don't update your risking a security breach or something. And I was afraid that because I was using Bianca which is not the latest release was putting my pc at risk. I'm new but I'm learning. Thanks for your help.

On a side note that's off topic, I registered to use the board and I received the confirmation email but the link in the email takes me to a dead page so I'm not able to activate my username. Could you by chance help me with that? My username is lynx2cross.
lynx

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE