Update manager doesn't detect updates correctly

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Update manager doesn't detect updates correctly

Postby Zalbor on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:19 am

I've noticed this happening a few times now.
The update manager's icon shows a green tick, indicating that there are no updates to be applied. If I right click and choose "Refresh" (which, unless I'm mistaken, is supposed to force it to check for updates) the green tick disappears for only a moment and then reappears.
If I click on the icon -immediately after- and it asks for my password then opens a window and then checks for updates, it might find several.

I imagine it's some kind of permission issue; before it has my password it can't check for updates and thinks there aren't any. Has anyone had this and solved it, or know what I could try?
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Update manager doesn't detect updates correctly

Postby Lumikki on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 am

I think there could be issue.

Sometimes I have noticed the icon to be green, but still there can be updates.

I just assumed that this is because new updates become available between me starting the computer and when I clicked the icon. Because I don't really know how the software checks the updates.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, radeon 6540 (Gallium 0.4), 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1920x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon, Windows 7
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Zalbor on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:48 am

I'm still having this problem... What's more, I installed Mint 12 KDE on another computer and it works fine there. So it must be something that went wrong during the installation on this one, or something I changed somewhere and forgot. Does anyone have an idea what that might be?
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aragorn91 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:27 am

The updates are ranked. I would bet the update managers notify when there is an update level 1 to be applied.
When it is level 2 or 3 it is not so much important.

Cheers
Bien cordialement

Arag the Gorn !
aragorn91
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 007 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am

I had similiar problem before. I went a couple of days without updates after the installation and I knew something wasn't right. So, I updated using sudo apt-get update. After sometime, I decided to use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade because I love doing that (newbie 8) ) and it seemed to have solved the problem. Now, I have update icon in the task bar notifying me wherenever there's updates available.
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE