Keyboard input broken

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Keyboard input broken

Postby matyy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 am

Hello,

I have two big problems with my keyboard, and I just can't seem to find a solution.

1. No accents work, when I press an accent it works. Doesn't matter which keyboard options I set – dead acute, default, whatever, it doesn't make any difference.
2. IBUS doesn't work - it's up & running but I can't configure any input method, they're just greyed out. I have them installed tough.

The German layout works tough, ä ö ü ß are here, so I can type English and German, but no French, Hungarian nor Chinese.

The only option I found, which doesn't work either, is to set up the compose key and than press compose + accent, than letter. But that's no option, I rather use some different desktop than. But I'd love to stay in KDE.

Thanks

Matyy
matyy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Keyboard input broken

Postby PinkShinyRose on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:42 pm

I do not use KDE, but this worked for me in GNOME to fix the dead keys:

-Disable IBus in the language menu (not sure what it's actually called in the English version)
-Log out and log in again
-Start IBus manually (or as a start-up program) by starting "ibus-daemon"
-I'm not sure, but the following step may be necessary for IBus to work in some programs: start "/usr/lib/ibus/ibus-x11"

I don't remember how to fix the greyed out problem. Maybe, for some reason you need root privileges, but you shouldn't need them to set up the input methods.
PinkShinyRose
Level 1
Level 1

Return to KDE