[Solved] Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Postby BostonPeng on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:16 am

FYI: The kde-gtk-config packages are back on the Netrunner site and can now be installed on 32- or -64-bit systems without building them from source.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby multiplicis on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:56 pm

XuJinNet wrote:Please release the KDE Version,we need it , we love it :wink:

We love Mint ! ! ! !

I agree with you, but you must remember that MintKDE 13 should be based on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (at this moment) has a lot of bugs, it is unstable (segfault errors in Plasma, KTorrent freezes, incomplete language support, and so on). Every release of Kubuntu always needs quite a lot of time to became stable and reliable. I think that Mint cannot do other than waiting...
LinuxMint KDE 64 bit
multiplicis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BostonPeng on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:05 pm

multiplicis wrote:I agree with you, but you must remember that MintKDE 13 should be based on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (at this moment) has a lot of bugs, it is unstable (segfault errors in Plasma, KTorrent freezes, incomplete language support, and so on). Every release of Kubuntu always needs quite a lot of time to became stable and reliable. I think that Mint cannot do other than waiting...

This is a big reason why I run KDE on top of LMDE. It's not an official release (altho I really hope it will be sooner rather than several years down the pike) but I don't have to wait for clem and the Kubuntu folks to get the release fixed so we can get Mint KDE. I'm running a testing release I wouldn't even recommend to a lot of users (yes, things can and do break from time to time) but after running this combination for a while I wouldn't do Linux any other way, unless clem gives us an official LMDE KDE release.

I don't mean to gloat, because I really do hope Mint KDE users can get their release sooner rather than later. I was part of the community that waited FOREVER for what I believe was Mint 11 KDE and I don't think it ever came out, instead going right to Mint 12 KDE. It was no fun being part of that crowd, which is why when I got my laptop I just went to LMDE and bolted KDE on top of it. I'll never knowingly try to rush clem and the Mint dev team but sometimes waiting for it to be right so it can ship can be a royal PITA.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby braingateway on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:58 pm

BostonPeng wrote:
multiplicis wrote:I agree with you, but you must remember that MintKDE 13 should be based on Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (at this moment)
I don't mean to gloat, because I really do hope Mint KDE users can get their release sooner rather than later. I was part of the community that waited FOREVER for what I believe was Mint 11 KDE and I don't think it ever came out, instead going right to Mint 12 KDE. It was no fun being part of that crowd, which is why when I got my laptop I just went to LMDE and bolted KDE on top of it. I'll never knowingly try to rush clem and the Mint dev team but sometimes waiting for it to be right so it can ship can be a royal PITA.

It is kind of insane to update every 6 month. I think the current strategy is good for normal users. Mint 12 KDE is quite good. And I think nobody will rush toward LMDE or Kbuntu 12.04, before the Mint 12 KDE support ended. Most dev toolsets are still compatible with Mint 12 also. So the developer should take their time to test and fix rather than chasing the Ubuntu release.
braingateway
Level 2
Level 2

Postby KBD47 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Kubuntu 12.04 is working perfectly for me. I've never been this impressed with KDE before. I have tweaked it a bit and it is running as fast as Xfce and temp is cool on my netbook. I think now that Mint has teamed up with netrunner they should shift focus to KDE as their default distro, and make gnome their second or follow up distro, give Cinnamon time to mature and get to the point it runs well on all hardware and has more features/functions. KDE is already there IMO. And for LMDE, same thing, KDE based and built on the new Debian Stable at the first of the new year.
kbd47
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby midas on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:57 am

Yeeaaaahhh!! Mint 13 KDE is in testing :wink:
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bits)
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Postby zerozero on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 am

midas wrote:Yeeaaaahhh!! Mint 13 KDE is in testing :wink:

you can follow it here 8)
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/132

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Fandangio on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:48 am

Thanks for the update zerozero!
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tdockery97 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 am

Just noticed that myself. It will be great to see what Mint does with the already good Kubuntu 5-year LTS.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby tprender on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:43 pm

tdockery97 wrote:Just noticed that myself. It will be great to see what Mint does with the already good Kubuntu 5-year LTS.

Let's just hope that the dreaded screen freeze problems that Kubuntu 12.04 has been having are not inherited in Mint. So far this hasn't happened with MInt 12 but it is a major problem with Kubuntu right now and has been that way across several kernel and driver updates.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/993187
tprender
Level 1
Level 1

Postby barnac1e on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:19 pm

For those inquiring about KDE 13 on Mint, it's as simple as this: Take Mint 12 and view you /etc/apt/sources.list then check your "Mint Updates" sources list. Find the difference between the two sources list and copy out the one or two from Mint's Sources list and paste them into you /etc/apt/sources.list. And change "oneiric" to "precise" through the apt list on each line and leave all other words the same. Then follow this guide exactly as it states: http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin-apt-en.htm#du-st. Should something go wrong though just type apt-get clean, hit Cntl+Alt+Delete, reboot and you're back to the original Mint 12 KDE. Just fix your apt-sources back.

And you should end up with a freshed KDE Mint 13, Why all the "blah blah" about the lead developers taking so long is beyond me.

And whoever it was wherever it was stating Netrunner is the best polished Kubuntu/Ubuntu distro is WRONG. Why? Simply this: They plaster a FACEBOOK icon on the panel. I've had enough of Facebook and to see it shoved in my face by a Linux distro is nauseating.

Oh, and hopefully Mint developers will see this but can you please quit plastering you Linux Mint logo into Chromium's default search results via the navigation bar? Okay, it's bad enough to not include it as the default and premier (rightfully so) search engine, but then to have to see it in my Google search results page isn't nice. :x
barnac1e
Level 1
Level 1

Postby barnac1e on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:53 pm

barnac1e wrote:For those inquiring about KDE 13 on Mint, it's as simple as this: Take Mint 12 and view you /etc/apt/sources.list then check your "Mint Updates" sources list. Find the difference between the two sources list and copy out the one or two from Mint's Sources list and paste them into you /etc/apt/sources.list. And change "oneiric" to "precise" through the apt list on each line and leave all other words the same. Then follow this guide exactly as it states: http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin-apt-en.htm#du-st. Should something go wrong though just type apt-get clean, hit Cntl+Alt+Delete, reboot and you're back to the original Mint 12 KDE. Just fix your apt-sources back.

And you should end up with a freshed KDE Mint 13, Why all the "blah blah" about the lead developers taking so long is beyond me.

And whoever it was wherever it was stating Netrunner is the best polished Kubuntu/Ubuntu distro is WRONG. Why? Simply this: They plaster a FACEBOOK icon on the panel. I've had enough of Facebook and to see it shoved in my face by a Linux distro is nauseating.

Oh, and hopefully Mint developers will see this but can you please quit plastering you Linux Mint logo into Chromium's default search results via the navigation bar? Okay, it's bad enough to not include it as the default and premier (rightfully so) search engine, but then to have to see it in my Google search results page isn't nice. :x

Hi, I just wanted to say to anyone concerning my previous post, forgive me if I sounded harsh in the last two statements I made although on a personal level I believe them to be true. But I don't mean to "diss" Netrunner but Facebook is a serious parasite for the internet as a whole and I just have issues with a "free and opensource" distro assuming its user wants Facebook as a default panel widget. My complaint will probably fall on deaf ears.

As for Chromium, the embedded code into the Google search results is way to "Windows-like" to suit me. Maybe some fanatics are all about it but its very distracting. If I type Google.com into the browser, I expect to see just Google's page, with no annoying windows frames and insignia there from a "third party" no matter who it is (hint).

And finally, yes, that technique does work actually concerning upgrading Mint to whatever release you desire. I myself ran into a Python software problem in dpkg but I was trying to go from Julia to Maya so don't do that I guess. I think it will work from Lisa to Maya okay. You may need to type apt-get -f update if apt starts complaining about things and just keep at it. If this is too technical for a lot of you, disregard it. I don't want Clem or anyone undermined in anyway, nor do I mean to encourage a newbie to break their systems. Perhaps if you have a spare computer in the house try it on there as a test point. Things can't get much buggier with KDE these days, regardless if its Mint or Kubuntu so what can it hurt :wink:
barnac1e
Level 1
Level 1

Postby KBD47 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 am

tprender wrote:
Let's just hope that the dreaded screen freeze problems that Kubuntu 12.04 has been having are not inherited in Mint. So far this hasn't happened with MInt 12 but it is a major problem with Kubuntu right now and has been that way across several kernel and driver updates.

Yes, that bug hit my desktop computer, everything Ubuntu 12.04 and related freezes to the point of unusability for me. Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 works fine on my main computer, but definitely something to be aware of. Might be worth spending lots of time with the Mint KDE 13 release with a live dvd, or better yet, installed onto a usb stick, for several days to a week to make sure your computer doesn't have the freeze problem.
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby BostonPeng on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 am

KBD47 wrote:
tprender wrote:

Yes, that bug hit my desktop computer, everything Ubuntu 12.04 and related freezes to the point of unusability for me. Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 works fine on my main computer, but definitely something to be aware of. Might be worth spending lots of time with the Mint KDE 13 release with a live dvd, or better yet, installed onto a usb stick, for several days to a week to make sure your computer doesn't have the freeze problem.

Crap. I'm guessing I'll see this when I take the latest batch of updates on my Mint 12 KDE virtual machine. Thanks for making sure I was able to see to not take the updates until I hear it's resolved.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby KBD47 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 am

I think Ubuntu 11.10/Mint 12 is safe from this bug, something they changed in 12.04/Mint 13 is causing this issue. As far as I know it hasn't showed up and isn't a threat to the previous version.
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby BostonPeng on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks. I keep forgetting I'm not running the latest and greatest Kubuntu derivation on my VM. As it is I keep having to remember how Ubuntu does things since I normally work in LMDE + KDE.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Adelante on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 pm

barnac1e, the first thing I did was remove the Facebook icon, so I agree with you on that to some extent, but only because I had no use for it. I haven't met a panel or dock yet I didn't remove what wasn't personally useful and add what was. But I imagine there are many, many people who might like having it there, so I don't have any reason to complain about it. I still say Netrunner is a lovely distro and one any level of user can sit down in front of and start in comfortably right away. I'm a common end user, not at all a Linux expert, so this is what I look for: usefulness, stability and appearance. I think Netrunner has all of that well-covered. I look forward to seeing what the BlueSystems team of LM KDE, Kubuntu and Netrunner can come up with together.
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tprender on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:06 pm

BostonPeng wrote:Thanks. I keep forgetting I'm not running the latest and greatest Kubuntu derivation on my VM. As it is I keep having to remember how Ubuntu does things since I normally work in LMDE + KDE.

Somebody suggested upgrading to 12.04, I would strongly warn against doing that until that bug is squashed. It is a major deal breaker on Kubuntu 12.04 at the moment.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread ... untu-12-04
tprender
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BostonPeng on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 am

It's bugs like that, which should have been squashed before the release, that prompted me to leave Ubuntu in the first place. Thankfully clem and co. will probably hold back the release until it's resolved, but does anyone know if it's present in the main Mint 13? I honestly don't follow the main release threads since I spend so much time in LMDE and now I wish I paid a little more attention so I know how to advise friends I'm trying to turn onto Mint.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby KBD47 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 am

There is a thread about it: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=103054
Seems to be affecting a lot of Mint 13 Cinnamon users, but not limited to that release.
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to KDE