Is there really no way of controlling CPU speed anymore?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Is there really no way of controlling CPU speed anymore?

Postby gosa on Tue May 01, 2012 5:24 am

HI All,

Don't know if it's my google-fu that's failing, or if it's actually true that I it's no longer possible to switch between the different CPU governors to my own liking?

I spent a bit of time to find some kind of applet/program or similar that could help me do this, but I couldn't get anywhere with it. I tried the xfce4-cpufreq-plugin, but that one did only display what mode I'm currently in. (Yes I could open and flip through the modes, but it didn't "take") I tried to install Jupiter applet - that always helped me in the past - but that one seems to be so far away from debian (I'm on LMDE) compatibility these days that it only returned errors when trying to run it. I also googled a bit and read some posts saying that the almighty devs of these things think that manual control is no longer needed, so they were taken away. (Don't know if that one is true though)

- But what if I still want to do this on my own, and I want to do this in LMDE? (In LM12 LXDE that I ran on my netbook up until a week ago I could install Jupiter, so no issues there)

Is there really no way to do this? (I'm talking about a GUI-way... not about having to fiddle with scripts, terminal or similar) Or is it just me being incompetent?

Thanks in advance,

/gosa
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is there really no way of controlling CPU speed anymore?

Postby jjaythomas on Tue May 01, 2012 7:40 pm

not on LMDE right now but...

Alway got the plugin with the xfce4-goodies meta package (use other stuff, icon sets, +artwork ect.) it was always easier that way (if have HD space) :? .

I would think you could use the 'software-manager' to look at what installed in meta package. Then install only that plugin (panel?).

in Xubuntu its called 'xfce4-cpufreq-plugin' Cant rember if named same in Debian :oops:

J.Jay

Edit sorry you can't change govenor with that. Maybe was depreciated in XFCE 4.8 (maybe come back 4.10 :roll:

Edit sorry again (long day :wink: ) yes you can with that plugin (click plugin in panel, shows each core and can switch freq)
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gosa on Tue May 01, 2012 11:22 pm

jjaythomas wrote:not on LMDE right now but...

Alway got the plugin with the xfce4-goodies meta package (use other stuff, icon sets, +artwork ect.) it was always easier that way (if have HD space) :? .

I would think you could use the 'software-manager' to look at what installed in meta package. Then install only that plugin (panel?).

in Xubuntu its called 'xfce4-cpufreq-plugin' Cant rember if named same in Debian :oops:

J.Jay

Edit sorry you can't change govenor with that. Maybe was depreciated in XFCE 4.8 (maybe come back 4.10 :roll:

Edit sorry again (long day :wink: ) yes you can with that plugin (click plugin in panel, shows each core and can switch freq)

Thank you for replying,

Tried the "xfce4-cpufreq-plugin" and yes - while it looks like you're actually changing it doesn't actually do anything - at least not for me. Tried it various times. always with the same result - I set the mode to performance and the frequency to 1,67GHz (that's max in my netbook) but the frequency kept on jumping up and down between 1-1,67GHz faster than "Kriss Kross" managed to do it back in the 90's. :lol:

I've seen various reports on the same behavior (or lack of it) when trying to find info on this.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jjaythomas on Wed May 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Sorry :cry:

Glad to know that it looks like working but not. :roll:
Inever really used, Wonder if its only on certain cip sets?

J.Jay
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Return to XFCE