How Nautilus Installed?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjaythomas

How Nautilus Installed?

Post by jjaythomas »

Curious...
Anyone know how Nautilus got installed on LMDE-XFCE?

I install Swift Linux (LMDE based distro) because I like to build my system up to what I like. But I don't get nautilus installed, even after update to 'UPack4' :D with XFCE. :roll:
So I believed it has to be a dependency of one of the Gnome apps installed by default on LMDE-XFCE :shock:

J.Jay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
drdavidk

Re: How Nautilus Installed?

Post by drdavidk »

I don't have an answer, just sympathies. I do use Nautilus, but I like the customizability of Nautilus 2.30 rather than the more "elementary" 3.x. So I back-tracked and installed LMDE_XFCE 201109, and selectively upgrade using Mint Update. I then unselect "Draw Desktop" under gconf-editor's Nautilus settings so that Nautilus doesn't take over the desktop.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There may be another / better way to do this but ...

Install the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install apt-rdepends
Run the following command:

apt-cache rdepends nautilus
It will list all of the packages that have nautilus as a dependency or as a "suggests" dependency. You may not have installed all of them - it's just telling you that if you install or have installed any of these packages nautilus may come with it.

EDIT: Wrong package to install, sorry
Last edited by altair4 on Sat May 26, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ok, trying to answer this (and others questions like why with the latest updates gnome3 is to be installed into lmde-xfce)

first remember this http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725 (when the xfce ed. was announced was very clear the goal of this ed., it was not a lean&mean xfce interpretation, was not a showcase of xfce, was a way to bring xfce mainstream (incorporating gnome features): i won't discuss the option, mostly because i'm not that used to xfce to judged it (and don't know for sure if it was/is really needed or xfce can/could provide all the "services" the average user needs.)
either way the rationale is clearly stated in the announcement page, so hardly anyone can feel fooled.

let's see (running a live-dvd - 201109)

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Sr
System:    Host mint Kernel 2.6.39-2-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
           deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main non-free
mint@mint ~ $ uname -a
Linux mint 2.6.39-2-486 #1 Tue Jul 5 02:52:23 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
why nautilus

mint@mint ~ $ dpkg --get-selections | grep nautilus
libnautilus-extension1				install
nautilus-gksu					install
nautilus-open-terminal				install
nautilus-sendto					install
why gnome3 (most probably because of this>>)

mint@mint ~ $ dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome
gnome-about					install
gnome-audio					install
gnome-bluetooth					install
gnome-desktop-data				install
gnome-dictionary				install
gnome-disk-utility				install
gnome-doc-utils					install
gnome-icon-theme				install
gnome-js-common					install
gnome-keyring					install
gnome-mag					install
gnome-media					install
gnome-media-common				install
gnome-menus					install
gnome-mime-data					install
gnome-mplayer					install
gnome-netstatus-applet				install
gnome-nettool					install
gnome-ppp					install
gnome-search-tool				install
gnome-session-bin				install
gnome-session-canberra				install
gnome-session-common				install
gnome-settings-daemon				install
gnome-system-log				install
gnome-system-monitor				install
gnome-system-tools				install
gnome-user-share				install
gnome-utils-common				install
gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs				install
libgail-gnome-module				install
libgnome-bluetooth7				install
libgnome-desktop-2-17				install
libgnome-keyring0				install
libgnome-keyring1.0-cil				install
libgnome-mag2					install
libgnome-media0					install
libgnome-menu2					install
libgnome-speech7				install
libgnome-vfs2.0-cil				install
libgnome-window-settings1			install
libgnome2-0					install
libgnome2-canvas-perl				install
libgnome2-common				install
libgnome2-perl					install
libgnome2-vfs-perl				install
libgnome2.24-cil				install
libgnomecanvas2-0				install
libgnomecanvas2-common				install
libgnomekbd-common				install
libgnomekbd4					install
libgnomepanel2.24-cil				install
libgnomeui-0					install
libgnomeui-common				install
libgnomevfs2-0					install
libgnomevfs2-common				install
libgnomevfs2-extra				install
libpam-gnome-keyring				install
libreoffice-gnome				install
libsoup-gnome2.4-1				install
network-manager-gnome				install
network-manager-pptp-gnome			install
policykit-1-gnome				install
python-gnome2					install
python-gnomeapplet				install
python-gnomedesktop				install
python-gnomekeyring				install
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not fooled just curious :P

Just noticed on XFCE forums seemed to be the cause of some problems in XFCE. And because uninstalling Nautilus (ZZero stated included) doesn't cause problem. Just wondered what was the rationale for it or what it borks (surprise later) it causes by uninstalling. :idea:

J.Jay

P.S. normally if asked "which Linux" I recommend LMint (Ubuntu based) or Xubuntu (until Unity/Gnome3/mate/cinnamon settles). But with a (hopefully) new LMint13 XFCE spin will probably recomend that :D

I don't advise mangling LMDE (currently using Swift base :twisted: ) like I like to do! But I still ask questions or wonder more In-depth reasons sometimes. :mrgreen:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I don't have a problem with nautilus on LMDE-XFCE its a easy fix to uninstall or use gconf to set 'no draw desk'
BUT
Even people wanting to use nautilus may have problems with the drawing desktop ect. Can't the ISO or update set that without interfering with other stuff? :idea:

J.Jay

P.S. actually I don't have the associated problem (with what playing with now) But others do/might.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Not fooled just curious :P
yeahh, i know, wasn't referring to you :lol:

as i said above i'm not an xfce expert to know exactly if those addictions are absolutely necessary or we have better xfce counter-parts (referring to the nautilus extensions that xfce ships); i usually read in the forum that thunar is not *yet there* compared to nautilus.

- re. nautilus (and those associated lib) they can be safely uninstalled;
- it's trickier to do the same with most of gnome* lib in the other output (there i would recommend a lot of caution and read the output of any removal command at least twice: some of those libs depend on parts of the system that you don't want to see removed >> networkmanager, gnome-keyring)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I Tinker...

I just thought if can set gconf with update or next ISO (for the XFCE one) may alleviate some of the Problems being seen on the XFCE forum. :wink:

Personally I have parts from GTK, QT,script hacks, and who knows what else. So I'm constantly puting out fires (or starting them :twisted: ) When get out of hand just start over :lol:

J.Jay
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

drdavidk wrote:I don't have an answer, just sympathies. I do use Nautilus, but I like the customizability of Nautilus 2.30 rather than the more "elementary" 3.x. So I back-tracked and installed LMDE_XFCE 201109, and selectively upgrade using Mint Update. I then unselect "Draw Desktop" under gconf-editor's Nautilus settings so that Nautilus doesn't take over the desktop.
maybe you could install MATE's nautilus (caja) instead.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thank you

I personally don't have nautilus. I start with another distro (based on LMDE) and update with Upacks (updates with Upacks and LMDE repo by default) and I'm currently running same UPack4 with XFCE4 + Goodies installed, basically just different package list Working good so far(crossing fingers). :D

I just wondering what to avoid so Not to get nautilus. That one reason I like installing apps with 'Mint's software Manager',
(let you see what also going to install) :wink:
I just don't want nautilus slipping in when not paying attention!

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”