Please tell me if this is okay

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Please tell me if this is okay

Postby patrick_here on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 pm

I installed Mint 13 Maya (Cinnamon) then soon realized I wanted to go back to XFCE. 8)
(I was seeing some wierdness with my network interface and display)

So I installed xubuntu-desktop on top of my Maya Cinnamon but realized that there was some problem with that. So I installed the "xfce4" package (which forces an uninstall of Xubuntu) and so far it looks okay. (I also installed xfce4-goodies)

I noticed that installation of xubuntu-desktop involved lots of packages. It seems that some of them are still present on my system (xubuntu-docs, xubuntu-artwork, etc...etc)

My Question(s):
  • I want to stick with xfce on top of ubuntu/mint (ie: I don't want to go with xfce on debian) so is this a stable way to go (ie, the way I've done this install)? I'm wondering if I should wipe my drive clean and go with a reinstall differently.
  • I notice that I still have wicd for my network manager (which was not present on my Mint 11/Xubuntu/xfce install). Can I uninstall it and get some other network manager (if it gives me problems, which I'm starting to suspect it is)?
  • Does my install of xfce depend on Cinnamon? Can I remove Cinnamon and still have xfce? If so, what are the ramifications (pros and cons) of doing this?

PS: I've edited this post a few times; sorry for any confusion
patrick_here
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Please tell me if this is okay

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:53 am

Mint 13 XFCE RC is available and is built on Ubuntu 12.04, not Debian. You can download here http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2077, or wait for the final release.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby GeneBenson on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:49 am

Hi patrick_here,

I went a slightly different route and first installed Mint 13 MATE and then xubuntu-desktop. I later realized that xubuntu-desktop installed a lot of things I didn't really need, just as you did. So I booted into MATE and removed everything Xfce related and then installed Xfce4. Much better.

I want to stick with xfce on top of ubuntu/mint (ie: I don't want to go with xfce on debian) so is this a stable way to go (ie, the way I've done this install)? I'm wondering if I should wipe my drive clean and go with a reinstall differently.

Aging Technogeek is quite right. You could install Mint 13 XFCE RC or wait for the final.
Or you could do what I did and install Mint 13 MATE, which is based on ubuntu, and then install xfce4. This is actually a better match then cinnamon/Xfce due to the fact that both MATE and Xfce are still using gtk2.
I notice that I still have wicd for my network manager (which was not present on my Mint 11/Xubuntu/xfce install). Can I uninstall it and get some other network manager (if it gives me problems, which I'm starting to suspect it is)?

Sorry, can't help you there. Wicd isn't installed here.
Does my install of xfce depend on Cinnamon? Can I remove Cinnamon and still have xfce? If so, what are the ramifications (pros and cons) of doing this?

Xfce doesn't depend on cinnamon, but a lot of other things do. You would probably be better of with a fresh install. If you have a DVD/USB stick ready with whatever you choose to install next you could always try removing cinnamon. Just to see what happens and perhaps save yourself a fresh install.

Hope this helps. :D
GeneBenson
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jjaythomas on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 pm

My two cents input
I notice that I still have wicd for my network manager (which was not present on my Mint 11/Xubuntu/xfce install). Can I uninstall it and get some other network manager (if it gives me problems, which I'm starting to suspect it is)?

If use synaptic can install network-manager-gnome and watch 'details' believe will give option of which to use. (can later uninstall 'wicd'). Needs to be in startup.

If want to install XFCE on a mate install use 'xfce4 (meta package) and optionally xfce-goodies (also meta package) the xubuntu desktop bring lots of stuff (artwork, apps ect.)
you probably don't want. A mate install already includes most all basic (underlying) packages needed for normal desktop in XFCE!

If want 'XFCE 4.10' like the RC will need to use the 'ppa', (and remember all the goodies stuff won't work yet) then install 'XFCE DE :wink: .

J.Jay
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Return to XFCE