[Solved]Maya Xfce and external monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wyrdoak

[Solved]Maya Xfce and external monitor

Post by wyrdoak »

My NetBook is having a problem of the panel not showing up on the desktop when booting with the external monitor. When not connected it seems to be working OK, even after connecting it after boot and switching monitors.

I'm not too up on RandR commands but anyone know if there is one to ignore the internal monitor when the external is attached. I think there might be some confusion when booting, it seems to go from external to both, then external, that switching around seem to put the onboard Intel chipset into over load. :lol:

Not even sure if RandR still works in Maya.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Maya Xfce and external monitor

Post by xenopeek »

A recent (rejected) idea about creating a multi-display configuration program for the Xfce describes the steps the user now takes to set up multi-display on Xfce. Perhaps those 7 steps outlined in the idea description can be of help to you: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3039
wyrdoak

Re: Maya Xfce and external monitor

Post by wyrdoak »

xenopeek wrote:A recent (rejected) idea about creating a multi-display configuration program for the Xfce describes the steps the user now takes to set up multi-display on Xfce. Perhaps those 7 steps outlined in the idea description can be of help to you: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3039
Just rebooted that seems to have done it for me.

Set arandr up for both monitors with their default resolutions, then set the Xfce display setting to just the external monitor. Now if the external is unplugged the netbook just defaults to the internal.

Now it seems to get to the desktop faster with all the panels showing and with out the external monitor adjusting between the two resolutions and messing things up.

Thank you for your help.
jjaythomas

Re: [Soved]Maya Xfce and external monitor

Post by jjaythomas »

in Maya (If XFCE ISO using Xfce 4.10)

Can set under 'settings>dispaly' to use 1 or other display
Will not" change using dual displays intially (config grub or in BIOS) only for for desktop (Xfce). Will save setting between reboots/logins.

P.S. put a launcher to display in panel or install 'lxrandr' (works in xfce with no conflicts with display) and put that in panel.

J.Jay

Edit I think 'jupiter' app (not in default repos) has that along with other power setting in a panel applet also. :wink:

Return to “Xfce”