Workspace wallpapers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintman112

Workspace wallpapers

Post by mintman112 »

Hi all is there anyway to set a wallpaper for each individual workspace in the xfce version of mint?.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Workspace wallpapers

Post by jjaythomas »

only 3 ways I know of...

1. use Compiz/Fusion
2. Use Walpapoz (need version .6.1,+ can find a 'Deb' on web)
3. write a custom script (that acks like deamon) so actually a 'homemade' 'walpapoz'

J.Jay
P.S. I use wallpapoz .6.2 (great organizer and clue to 'What Virtual desk on!' :wink:

P.S. search this forum I think I put a link up (I thik goes to site probally has newest\?) a while back (I think OLD AGE MEMORY)
mintman112

Post by mintman112 »

jjaythomas wrote:only 3 ways I know of...

1. use Compiz/Fusion
2. Use Walpapoz (need version .6.1,+ can find a 'Deb' on web)
3. write a custom script (that acks like deamon) so actually a 'homemade' 'walpapoz'

J.Jay
P.S. I use wallpapoz .6.2 (great organizer and clue to 'What Virtual desk on!' :wink:

P.S. search this forum I think I put a link up (I thik goes to site probally has newest\?) a while back (I think OLD AGE MEMORY)
Does any anybody else have a slightly more easier solution?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Does any anybody else have a slightly more easier solution?
Walpapoz is a easy app (acually a GUI for a deamon), it installs with Gdebi (already in Mint by default). Installs both daemon and GUI.
It just list your Virtual desktops and asks what walpaper (picture) to use :wink:

J.Jay
P.S. here the link (work in 32 and 64)https://launchpad.net/~ikoinoba/+archiv ... ld/3177856 **Goto archive for .6.2 package**
dajare

Post by dajare »

jjaythomas wrote:P.S. here the link (work in 32 and 64)https://launchpad.net/~ikoinoba/+archiv ... ld/3177856 **Goto archive for .6.2 package**
Got a link for 0.6.2, J.Jay? I can't find the "archive" link anywhere. Googling seems not to help. :?

This is the only (I think) aspect of Xfce that has let me down since migrating from LM 12 LXDE. In LXDE, there is (built in) a notifier for the virtual desktops; I can't work out how that might be done in Xfce, and this "wallpaper" solution would be good enough for me!

If only I could find 0.6.2 of Wallpapoz, that is.... ;)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mintman112

Post by mintman112 »

My apologies for been so sceptical it works like a charm many thanks. :D
dajare

Post by dajare »

zerozero wrote:see if this helps >> [url...]
It did indeed -- many thanks!
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Thank ZZero for direct link (couldn't find :oops: )

My link links to developers (PPA?) on right side, then walpapoz can be found on 2nd page.

P.S. set regular wallpaper settings>desktop to same walpaper that wallpapoz set for first desk. Save one less initial flicker at boot (and won't have to click back and forth to get correct wallpaper on initial desk at boot if change in wallpapoz only).

J.Jay
dajare

Post by dajare »

FWIW - here's my experience (LM 13 Xfce on Toshiba Satellite Pro A100).

Wallpapoz worked very well, easy setup, etc. BUT :? I'm a Conky user, and on my (old) hardware, the slooow screen refresh on switching workspaces was something less than painful, but fairly annoying all the same. Not Wallpapoz's fault!

It made me wonder about showing current workspace in Conky, though, and this is simple for Xfce. There were helpful threads both at the Ubuntu and CrunchBang forums. There is still some sluggish lag (1-2 sec -- feels long at the time!)* in Conky updating the workspace number, but it's far less annoying that a delayed screen refresh with Wallpapoz.

[* Update: as I later realized, the Conky delay was down to the "update_interval 3.0" in my .conkyrc!]

I still wish Xfce had a built-in workspace notifier like LXDE, but this is not too shabby, and the only "nit" I've got to "pick"!
Last edited by dajare on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

yes screen refresh is slow in walpapoz (daemon refreshes screen as if you changed wallpaper manually. It's even slower in Gnome. :shock:
KDE has the 'wallpaper per screen' feature thats not nearly as slow (built into DE to stay in memory).
Xfce panel does have a 'workspace switcher' plugin that changes color to show what on :roll:

J.Jay
P.S. Xfce long time ago had a plugin that showed # "What Desktop On' Similiar to the LXDE (panel) still has.

Return to “Xfce”