Solved -- Maya Flaws - Vanishing Toolbars and Slideshows

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Solved -- Maya Flaws - Vanishing Toolbars and Slideshows

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

XFCE Maya is a visual treat, but some issues keep cropping up:

The top Zoom/Shrink/Quit toolbar sometimes disappears thorough all apps (not even Window Manager pops up then to fix by), a state only "recoverable" by starting a new session, and Desktop slideshow feature doesn't work -- not even Corina or DesktopNova!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Maya Flaws - Vanishing Toolbars and Slideshows

Post by jjaythomas »

Not sure on slideshow but 'WM'...

do you mean lose toolbar (decorator) or just the icons (min/max/quit) disappear?

If by 'Window Manager pop up you talking about the GUI 'Window Manager' found in settings (or keyboard shortcut)? It won't run (or window manager tweaks) if xfwm not running (xfwm also displays wm toolbar)
try...
'alt+F2' (or full terminal) and run xfwm. then re-save session.

P.S. if ran app that needs nautilus it sometimes knocks out the 'window manager (xfwm)
**I tend to get rid of nautilus and/or nautilus-data and replace any apps that depend on it!**

J.Jay
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

Jay, thanks for reply! I'll respond so as I can!
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Even I am facing same thing.

Open terminal and type

Code: Select all

xfwm
If it says that xfwm is already running and says try replace it use --replace

In this case type

Code: Select all

xfwm --replace
You will get minimize, maximize, close buttons back. If you search older threads, there was same problem in XFCE 4.6. Maya is using latest XFCE 4.10. Still the same problem persists.

Keeping this issue aside, I love XFCE and Mint XFCE 13 :)
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

Sunewbie and Jay, thanks a million for that info! Hopefully Sunewbie's remedy -- if Maya programmers have been alerted to it -- can be instituted into the next Maya update (supposed to be automatic, right?)! I too love Maya over Mac's offerings now. If only this hang-up preventing Desktop slideshows can be fixed too!

Jim in NYC
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

jimwg wrote:Sunewbie and Jay, thanks a million for that info! Hopefully Sunewbie's remedy -- if Maya programmers have been alerted to it -- can be instituted into the next Maya update (supposed to be automatic, right?)! I too love Maya over Mac's offerings now. If only this hang-up preventing Desktop slideshows can be fixed too!

Jim in NYC
Hi Jim,

Glad that it worked for you. You can also post new ideas and request new features on Linux Mint Community

As this is more of XFCE issue, I guess it is more likely that it will be *hopefully* fixed in next XFCE version, unless Clem goes out of the way to fix it himself. Current version is 4.10.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Hi Jim in NYC ;)

If the problem is solved, kindly edit your first post and in the Subject line add [SOLVED] before the title :)
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

sunewbie wrote:Hi Jim in NYC ;)

If the problem is solved, kindly edit your first post and in the Subject line add [SOLVED] before the title :)
Okay, please help me here; if the slideshow aspect is unresolved is it a solved topic or start another?

Thanks.

Jim in NYC
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

jimwg wrote:
sunewbie wrote:Hi Jim in NYC ;)

Okay, please help me here; if the slideshow aspect is unresolved is it a solved topic or start another?

Thanks.

Jim in NYC
Oh then it is unsolved. So no need to mark it solved. If you start a new topic, chances are there to get more help. Some people simply skip posts which have a couple of replies. If you are patient, please wait a couple of days to see if you get any replies.

Sorry I did not pay attention to Slideshow part.

Return to “Xfce”